Albums with exceptional drumming?
Sep 1, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #46 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha! That Jojo Mayer must be the man behind the cliché-ish drum'n'bass loop featured on every track of that genre
biggrin.gif

Kool playing though hehe..

Actually, that's called the Amen Break and is taken from a song called Amen, Brother by The Winstons, released in 1969. There's a little tit-bit for you.

Also, on topic, definitely any Textures album, especially Silhouettes. Also, Cynic, Gordian Knot, Aghora, anything with Sean Reinert really. Gojira, as has already been mentioned, Mario Duplantier is a machine, not to mention inventive. Everything by Mike Portnoy of course. Close To The Edge by Yes. Also, Bobby Jarzombek, he defines machine, look him up on youtube, it's amazing. And just to add to the list:

Behold...The Arctopus
Spastic Ink
Fredrick Thordendals Special Defects
Blotted Science
Between The Buried and Me
Disillusion

I could sit here listing for days, but that should do for now.

Sep 1, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #48 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, that's called the Amen Break and is taken from a song called Amen, Brother by The Winstons, released in 1969. There's a little tit-bit for you.

Ah, had forgotten that one! Thanks, good to know.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I hope you sensed the obvious sense of irony in my post and didn't think I actually thought Mayer was the man behind it
smily_headphones1.gif

Back on topic. I basically like drumming that grooves or has a natural flow. Don't know how to explicit it further..

But Portnoy really sounds like an undereducated one-pattern speed-machine that's just boring. Correct me if I'm wrong. He seems to be generally liked, but from listening and watching many and playing a bit myself, I just can't enjoy his playing. A sick machine when soloing and even entertaining, sure. But is that music?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone here that seeks that coherence and musicality from a drummer and gives more value to the overall flow when playing with a band?

Watching back on my post I really seem aggressive, but I don't mean to be. English is not my first language, so spare me
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Oooh forgot to mention. One of my all time favourites.. Aynsley Dunbar on Zappa's albums Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka. Sublime!

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #49 of 78
Portnoy is a proper metal drummer. Even though Dream Theater doesnt really do metal in the true sense, their drummer is a full on metal drummer. Its like looking for grace from Axenrot from Opeth, its not there, its not his style, and its not what he does. But what they do, they do really well. Exceptional sense of timing and very good sense of time signatures and fills.

Yes its all hard hits, they dont let the drums breathe and its almost all at the same level, there isnt any emotion and not much dynamics, but thats what metal drummers do. Its about precision,speed and complexity and less about feel and musicality.

Someone mentioned Liquid Tension Experiment, and its a shame that I forgot to mention that album in my list, its one of the top progessive metal works and has some very solid work. The three minute warning opus at the end is just phenomenal for being just a jam session.

Sep 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #50 of 78
Listened to Rich vs Roach, very cool stuff. Excellent drumming, and great sound quality. Really love it. The extreme channel separation of the drums is a bit annoying though
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #52 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, had forgotten that one! Thanks, good to know.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I hope you sensed the obvious sense of irony in my post and didn't think I actually thought Mayer was the man behind it
smily_headphones1.gif

Back on topic. I basically like drumming that grooves or has a natural flow. Don't know how to explicit it further..

But Portnoy really sounds like an undereducated one-pattern speed-machine that's just boring. Correct me if I'm wrong. He seems to be generally liked, but from listening and watching many and playing a bit myself, I just can't enjoy his playing. A sick machine when soloing and even entertaining, sure. But is that music?
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyone here that seeks that coherence and musicality from a drummer and gives more value to the overall flow when playing with a band?

Watching back on my post I really seem aggressive, but I don't mean to be. English is not my first language, so spare me
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Oooh forgot to mention. One of my all time favourites.. Aynsley Dunbar on Zappa's albums Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka. Sublime!

I did sense a certain sarcasm in your post but it doesn't really transfer well in text.

But, I have to admit, Portnoy is a drummer's drummer. The joy in his drumming is the sheer complexity of it. That being said, the man can groove when he needs to.

If it's groove you want, Vinnie from Pantera is a groove machine, Tomas Haake from Meshuggah, just listen to New Millenium Cyanide Christ and see if your head doesn't start nodding along.

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listened to Rich vs Roach, very cool stuff. Excellent drumming, and great sound quality. Really love it. The extreme channel separation of the drums is a bit annoying though
frown.gif

one septet on the right channel, the other septet on the left channel... it's a brilliant gimmick!

L3000.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #54 of 78
can't really understand why no Zappa mentions yet. any Zappa alum automatically must qualify among the best drummers of all time:

The Black Page - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

and for a hard left turn, a little love for George Hurley of Minutemen and fIREHOSE fame:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bender Rodriguez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything this man plays on:
keith_moon_lilli_kit.jpg

I wish I could find a copy of that shot for my desktop.
Brilliant!

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't really understand why no Zappa mentions yet. any Zappa alum automatically must qualify among the best drummers of all time:

I think I did mention how I was on a quest for albums with just drumming awhile back, the only thing I could find was something by Bozzio
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:14 AM Post #58 of 78
as for albums not mentioned yet, ill say Nocturnal by The Black Dahlia Murder, The Fall of Ideals and Overcome by All that Remains, Horizons by Parkway Drive, 10000 Days by Tool, and Melancholy and the Infinite Sadness by the Smashing Pumpkins.

You can tell i tend most towards metalcore, which is my favorite genre, all that remains drummer is a master of blast beats, at least till i heard black dahlia murder for the first time. The drumming on nocturnal is some of the fastest, craziest most bad@$$ drumming ive ever heard. And my other two..i know everyone like lateralus for drumming, and i know its good, danny carrey couldnt play poorly, i just think he goes a little bit crazier, specially on the first two tracks, of 10000 days.

and my most controversial entry id say would be the pumpkins. I know its alternative, but Chamberlin is one of the most amazing drummers ive heard outside of progressive/metal.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #59 of 78
All That Remains has had a few different drummers over the years. It's not the same drummer on The Fall of Ideals and Overcome.

I've seen them in concert 5 times now, and they've had 2 or 3 different drummers since The Fall of Ideals tour.

Sep 2, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did! Haven't you heard the Grand Wazoo and Waka/Jawaka??? In an interview, Zappa said Dunbar was his favourite
smily_headphones1.gif

Now those albums have drumming with flow, musicality, versatility and fills! Be sure to check them out
smily_headphones1.gif

My favourite groove machine must be Leon Ndugu Chancler by far..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back