Albums with exceptional drumming?
Aug 30, 2009 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

Adab

Head-Fier
I like drums.

I particularly like Songs for the Deaf with Dave Grohl's drums of fury.

Queens_of_the_Stone_Age_Songs_for_the_Deaf.jpg

Please recommend me some albums on which the drumming is nice.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 78
hahahah damn it dude i saw the thread title and instantly thought "SftD", it's very easily one of my top albums...

This is just hearsay but i was told that each element of the drum kit was recorded separately for this album, which contributes to why the drums sound so clear and energetic through every song.

I'm interested to see responses though, gonna go peruse itunes in the meantime..

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 78

I really like the drumming on Ashes of the Wake, all Lamb of God albums has good drums but this one is excellent.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 78
Haha yeh there's definitely something going on with the recording of the SFTD drumming, although I like to imagine its the product of the 7 odd years Grohl went without recording as a drummer.

Also no matter what people say or think about the mastering of the album, or Lars' drumming in particular, gonna have to throw this out there...

Metallica_and_justice_for_all_a.jpg

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #5 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turb0Jugend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ashes of the Wake

I would agree, this is personally my favorite Lamb of God album and the drums are pretty sick..

If you're into the genre, The Apostasy has incredible drumming

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #6 of 78
a few years ago, i was on a mission to find albums that were just drumming. i honestly couldnt find anything. the best i came up with was a terry bozzio album that looked like it was what i was looking for, though i never did get it. but man, SFTD is seriously a rock album, when i think of straight rock in your face, i think of that album first.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_the_King /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're into the genre, The Apostasy has incredible drumming

I'll check it out, thx
smile.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 78
Anything by Rush, Primus, Soundgarden, Fishbone, The Police, Tool, Yes. Those are some off the top of my head, cause that's where I keep my lists.

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 78
Joy Division,The Clash,Rage Against the Machine,Tool.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #11 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by crapback /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything by Rush, Primus, Soundgarden, Fishbone, The Police, Tool, Yes. Those are some off the top of my head, cause that's where I keep my lists.

Ditto on every Rush album since "Fly By Night" ...

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 78
If you like post rock at all, this band has one of my favorite drummers he's insane! Such crazy rhythmic patterns.

Band: Toe
Album: The Book About My Idol Plot On A Vague Anxiety

They're a japanese postrock band and they kick major ass.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #13 of 78
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
One in Two, Two in One - Max Roach and Anthony Braxton
Not drums but rather percussion - anything with Cyro Baptista

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #14 of 78
Mmmm love me some Max Roach. Good suggestion jazznap.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 78
Here you go....

As someone that's been following Neil Peart since he replaced John Rutsy on "Fly By Night" album....This is probably the greatest drummer on the planet right now. Jazz drummer Antonio Sanchez....drum solos bore many but this guy is a marval. If nothing else...speed up to about the 4:20 mark and watch what a badass this guy is.

YouTube - Antonio Sanchez drum solo

Dave Weckl Band cd's have exceptional drumming as well. He is the master at "polyrhythms." His timing devies logic...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back