Albums that tell a story/have a unifying theme across all tracks
Aug 9, 2009 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

LingLing1337

CAUTION INCOMPLETE TRADES
I'm looking for albums like described in the title. I really liked A Grand Don't Come for Free by The Streets, El Cielo by Dredg, Lateralus by Tool, In Absentia by Porcupine Tree, and Frames by Oceansize, I'm open to any suggestions in any genre though.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 62
Maybe an obvious selection, but Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots by The Flaming Lips has been one of my recent faves. It's the tale of a girl's struggle with individualism and conformity, both literally and figuratively, as one may discern from the title.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #3 of 62
Ahh, I came across a couple of tracks from that record on Pandora (and really, really, really liked them) and didn't realize it had that sort of theme. I'll definitely pick it up. Thanks.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by simplon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Who - Quadrophenia

Loved the cover track... A rock opera..

check out the wiki entry which is rather detailed.. Quadrophenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Haha, after all the good things I read about that album here on Head-Fi, I haven't checked that out yet! Thanks.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 62
There's a recent album by a Kinks-sounding singer-songwriter who calls himself PT Walkley that fits that bill.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, after all the good things I read about that album here on Head-Fi, I haven't checked that out yet! Thanks.

[size=xx-large]DO IT NOW !!!!!!!![/size]

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #9 of 62
some concept albums you might like;

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Who - Tommy
David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spider From Mars
The Kinks - Arthur [Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire]

No particular order on the above, just all amazing albums that you should listen to per your request.

Quadrophenia is an amazing album, as is Pink Robots. Careful with Flaming Lips, none of their albums really sound like the others, if you end up loving Pink Robots as much as I did watch buying the rest of their catalog without having a listen first
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 62
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Spock's Beard - Snow

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #14 of 62
Out of left field:

WillieNelsonRedHeadedStrangeralbumcover.jpg

Willie Nelson's Red Headed Stranger has been referred to as the Dark Side of the Moon of country music. It's one of the very few concept albums in the genre and even had mainstream crossover appeal in the 1970s. If you want to try something different, go get a copy. Willie is one of the finest songwriters this country has ever had. He deserves a wider audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back