Albums That Stood The Test of Time for You
Mar 3, 2007 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Digitalbath3737

500+ Head-Fier
So I just got in Nirvana "Nevermind" (I've re bought this albums at least 10 times) and as usual I'm doing some head banging, singing out aloud... even a little air guitar and drumming. Same thing I did the first time I heard this album back in '91 when I was about 8 years old. At 23 I'd expect to feel differently about this album... but still stirs up the same emotions.

The only other albums that have personally stood the test of time are:

Deftones "Adrenaline" - when I hear those first notes I know it's all over for the next 47 minutes.

Tori Amos "Little Earthquakes" - Every song is perfect and demands my attention.

Toni Braxton "Secrets" - Loved it from day one. Can't even think about skipping a track.

Every time I put on any of those albums it's just like the first time. Even though I still love many of my older albums, some songs just got overplayed or lost their initial charm somewhere over the years.

So how 'bout you guys? What Albums have stood the test of time for you? Albums from your childhood or teenage years that you can still put on now and get lost in?

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 53
I just listened to a couple albums that I hadn't listened to in a while and still loved them. They were:

The Moon and Antarctica by Modest Mouse. I jumped off the modest mouse band wagon after their last album which in my opinion just blew serious ass and I hadn't looked back till last week.

Wilco and their album yankee hotel foxtrot. Same experience as modest mouse. A ghost is born really turned my stomach and I just forgot about their earlier killer album.

The Replacements album Tim and let it be. I had kind of forgotten about them. I liked them alot in high school then they just fell off of my radar for 11 years. I think they're starting to become en vogue. I've been hearing them at coffee houses and the memories started coming back. I picked up those two albums and have been really having a ball. It's just unfortunate how un-headphone friendly they are!

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 53
"Black Sabbath" - Black Sabbath
"Back in Black" - AC/DC
"Led Zeppelin" - Led Zeppelin
"Tribute" - Ozzy Osbourne
"Ride the Lightening" - Metallica

Others come and go, but this is my album "A" list.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 53
I'm (relatively) old. These are from my high school and college years (or earlier) that I still listen to regularly:

Bad Brains I Against I
Squirrel Bait Skag Heaven
Black Sabbath Paranoid
Led Zeppelin I, II, III, IV, Physical Graffiti; Houses Of the Holy
The Pixies Surfer Rosa
The Minutemen Double Nickels On The Dime
fIREHOSE Ragin' Full On; Flyin' The Flannel
Burning Spear Marcus Garvey/Garvey's Ghost
The Rolling Stones Let It Bleed; Exile On Main Street; Sticky Fingers
Public Enemy It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique
Little Feat Waiting For Columbus
De La Soul Three Feet High And Rising
Husker Du Zen Arcade
Sonic Youth Daydream Nation
Nirvana Bleach

That's it off the top of my head.

Mar 3, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 53
I don't want to list them all but...

Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Zepplin - I, II, III, Signs
Floyd - Animals, DKSOTM
Doors - Waiting for the Sun
Sabbath - IV
Allison Krauss & US - Live
Iron Maiden - Peace of Mind

There's just so many....

Jim

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #7 of 53
Yes - Close to the Edge
Rush - Moving Pictures
Rush - Permanent Waves
The Flower Kings - Flower Power (disc 1)
The Sundays - Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet
Dada - Puzzle
The Innocence Mission - Glow
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Dream Theater - Scenes from a Memory
Neds Atomic Dustbin - God Fodder
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Jaco Pastorious
Matthew Sweet - Girlfriend
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Queensryche - Empire
Sloan - Twice Removed
REM - Murmur
U2 - The Joshua Tree
The Yellowjackets - Greenhouse
Michael Manring - Thonk
Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut
Dave Matthews Band - Before These Crowded Streets
Joe Satriani - Surfing with the Alien

There are many many more, but these are albums I've had for a long time, and I put on regularly.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 53
The Clash - Sandinista
The Durutti Column - The return of the Durutti Column
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Next
The Horseflys - Human Fly
The Men They Couldn't Hang - Night of a Thousand Candles
John Martyn - One World
The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #9 of 53
Bowie - Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Lou Reed - Berlin
T. Rex - The Slider
Alice Cooper - Love It To Death
Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure

Those are some of my faves from my teenage days that have withstood the test of time.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 53
Albums that are actually before my time, but will always sound fresh, are anything by The Beatles, as cliche' as the choice(s) may be. I'm downloading my Beatles playlist to my iPod as I type, so I can listen as I fall asleep
etysmile.gif
. [size=small]zD[/size]

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 53
Electric Light Orchestra - Time

no pun intended. i can just listen to it over and over again... it's not a head-banging album, it's a "sit back, relax, and think" album. i just drop everything i'm doing and think when i hear it.

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #12 of 53
Styx - Grand Illusion (1/2 speed master on Vinyl) the grooves are pretty much shot on this disk...

Manfred Manns earth band - Somewhere in Afrika ( Vinyl), first time I really got into the lyrics of an album that I could relate to.

Andreas Vollenweider - Cosmopoly, White Winds, Down to the moon, pretty much every album Andreas does I like. His style got me into audio engineering.

The Fixx - Reach the Beach, have every album and import they produced, just like their style and lyrics

Frankie goes to Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome, (well engineered and recorded album) too bad that was the only one...

Collective Soul - Home (great DVD also) just a great album, and a fun concert to watch and turn up loud.

just to name a few that I have rediscovered, along with 50 or so new cd's that I found here on Head-fi.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #13 of 53
Green Day- Dookie
Metallica- Black
Red Hot Chilly Peppers- Californication
Bran Van 3000- Glee
Soul Asilum- Grave Dancers Union

and many more...

ps: 1400th post

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by zombieDave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Albums that are actually before my time, but will always sound fresh, are anything by The Beatles, as cliche' as the choice(s) may be. I'm downloading my Beatles playlist to my iPod as I type, so I can listen as I fall asleep
etysmile.gif
. [size=small]zD[/size]

x2 They changed everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back