Albums that show off your headphones
Apr 5, 2008 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Hunted Charlie

Head-Fier
I just ordered my new headphones (Denon D2000s with the EMU 0404 USB DAC/amp), which is an enormous upgrade from my current AKG 26Ps. I'm looking for music that (having been losslessly ripped, of course) really shows off the awesomeness of good headphones.

Something in the electronic, rock, or hip-hop/rap genres would be best.

And, of course, it has to be good music.

What do you think? I have a feeling Basshunter, Dragonforce, the Killers, etc. will sound awesome with the thumping bass of the Denons, but I'm looking for more music to feel the strengths and weaknesses of my headphones.

Apr 5, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 31
Donald Fagen - The Nightfly

just an all around awesome sounding album in terms of sound quality

Apr 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This album can do no wrong, it sounds great regardless of what headphones you're using. Fagen's (largely overlooked) masterpiece.

Apr 5, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 31
A couple of my favorite albums, for headphone listening:
Nils Lofgren - "Acoustic Live"
Massive Attack - "Mezzanine"

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 31
The Downward Spiral by Nine Inch Nails. Some of the tracks are a wreck for separating instruments and noises, plus you get a few high pitch details that will work out the high end quality. Okay, so our home speaker set up is rather dated, but there are songs on this album that my K601 can separate quite noticably better.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 31
Eagles - Hotel California (DVD-A), Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (MFSL & SACD hybrid), Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (DVD-A).. and for the heavier side of listening, Blind Guardian - A Night at the Opera (redbook CD) and Metallica - S/T (DVD-A).

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

x1 million!! I recently re-discovered this album...can't believe I hadn't listened to it in almost a decade. I was in grade school when this album was released, and didn't even know about it until college (early 90's), but man, I miss music like this.

Apr 7, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 31
Second Massive Attack, Mezzanine. Great for hearing extension and control of the bass. For soundstage, Roger Waters Amused to Death is uncanny. If you like classical music, I have a few I use constantly, but there it really has to be something you know very well, so if you're into that just bring your favorite recording.

Apr 10, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 31
You say hiphop, then try: J Dilla-Donuts. On my HD25s its an amazing sounding album. Might work for you too
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #15 of 31
I recommend seeking out

Steintryggur - Dialog

Absolutely superb, eclectic album...

& John McLaughlin - The Promise

More goodies from the Mahavishnu master...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back