Albums That Make You Feel Blue...
Feb 24, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #31 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nirvana: Unplugged, was released in 1984, 10 years before Cobain took his own life in 1994.

wat

Because Nirvana was a band in 1984

Feb 24, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
huh????? you need ta check yo fax, duuuude.
icon10.gif

My bad! Listen, don't tell anyone or I'll loose my Seattle citizenship and they'll send me out'a here with tar and feathers!! Oh, sh%T! Someone's pounding on the door and yellin' my screen-name and they don't sound happy! Gotta' run!

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #38 of 42
Many great picks! I will also add Hilmar Orn Hilmarsson, The soundtrack Children of nature, and his collaboration with Sigur Ros " Angels of the Universe". Ambient based classical, though very deep music...

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #40 of 42
There are so many - music + sad is pretty synonymous.

I think Nina Simone has risen to the top for me in that dark doomed feeling where it goes beyond just sad.

Her haunting voice and incredible musical talent puts her up with the best of any genre IMO.

The one song that brings me to a dark place more than any other is Nina's Lilac Wine

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

after that would be - Little Girl Blue

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Also, Beethoven's String Quartet #7 (opus 130) Cavatina. It's about as candid as classical music gets. In a word, human. The music changes Just after the half way point where one of the violins sounds like its crying. That moment might be at the pinnacle of humanity and sadness for me in all of music
frown.gif

If you like this, I'd also recommend checking out the Lindsey's version.

I've shamelessly used this thread to plug my top songs, but most depressing album of all time is

beck.jpg

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #41 of 42
Broken English by Marianne Faithful. The singer's whiskey worn voice was dripping with loss., The loss that comes with hard living, comes with age. The Ballad of Lucy Jordan was a perfect example. We all have made choices that shut other doors and may not experience the, "Ride through Paris in a sports car with the warm wind in her hair."

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #42 of 42
ISDN by future sound of london.

i keep this in my player mostly for morbid fascination. starts off kinda technoid in a bladerunner kind of way, & then journeys off into the darkness through moody ambient (eyes pop - skin explodes - everybody dead) with the odd sleazy jazz elements thrown in just to take the edge off it slightly (smokin japanese babe, snake hips...)

makes me laugh how music journos call massive attack "moody music", they should listen to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back