Albums That Make You Feel Blue...
Feb 22, 2010 at 10:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

MikePio

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everybody!

I think we all have those albums in our collection where it almost hurts to listen to, and leaves you feeling blue... This thread is dedicated to all those "heavy" albums that sap your strength away and leave you feeling raw and bare. Best served on a lonely night, with a glass of scotch, and a psychiatrist on hold...
biggrin.gif

Here is my list:

1). Maeror Tri - The Beauty Of Sadness
2). Hoedh - Hymnvs
3). Arvo Part - Alina
4). Mike Oldfield - The Song Of Distant Earth
5). Johann Johannsson - IBM
6). Max Richter - The Blue Notebooks

Looking forward to hearing from you guys! Cheers,

Feb 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 42
Grace and Danger by John Martyn.
One of the most painful albums in the great annals of breakup albums.
But also gorgeous, soulful, stirring, and well produced.
So, while it hurts your heart to listen to it, it also soothes your ears.
redface.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 42
It's intriguing how a piece of music can invoke such strong emotions that it is hard to listen to. Every time I put Hoedh - Hymnvs on it reminds me of times past, and I get this sense of dread... Really strange but at the same time soothing, if that makes any sense... Great albums by the way! In my opinion the ultimate experience in music, and the most potent one, is when you are in reflection with the sound, and the sound takes you deeper into your own self, your memories and feelings, this is the magic of music to me... I have a feeling that sometimes on this forums it's too much about the equipment, and not enough of the actual music, but hey I am a victim of this myself... Cheers,

Feb 22, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 42
A year or so go, I did the late night, a few beers, and Dirt by Alice in Chains thing. I might never listen to that album again after the experience. I read up on the story of Layne Staley beforehand, and that act magnified everything for me.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #13 of 42
Man! The last time I had to sit through my sister playing the entire _Titanic_ soundtrack, it hurt so bad, it made me chug half a bottle of Tidy-Bowl. Was it ever embarrassing to have to explain the cramps and the stinging to my doctor, and I never got the stains of my boxers. . . .

--Oh. Albums that make you *feel* blue. I see. Never mind.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by catachresis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man! The last time I had to sit through my sister playing the entire _Titanic_ soundtrack, it hurt so bad, it made me chug half a bottle of Tidy-Bowl. Was it ever embarrassing to have to explain the cramps and the stinging to my doctor, and I never got the stains of my boxers. . . .

--Oh. Albums that make you *feel* blue. I see. Never mind.

I giggled so hard after reading this, my professor asked me what was so funny.
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #15 of 42
Rosanne Cash - Interiors
Joni Mitchell - Blue
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back