Albums that DESERVE a proper remaster
Dec 30, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 26

APretty much the entire Flaming Lips catalog. I think SACDs would turn a tidy profit for them, as well. I'd pay $30-$40 for a well-done Yoshimi.

I agree I think the whole catalogue is terribly mastered.
Nirvana's first and best- Bleach, and Sublime's 40oz to freedom

Dec 31, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #17 of 26

Quote:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication but pretty much anything after Mother's Milk. Would love to see a greatest hits comp put out by Audio Fidelity!

That would be a nightmare! How can you deconstruct that much of a brickwall? (serious question). I'd throw in Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP'. one of the best albums of the 2000's regardless of genre.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:
All Led Zeppelin albums, specially Led Zeppelin I

Something tells me you haven't heard the Barry Diament remasters of LZ.
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #20 of 26
r.a. the rugged man-night of the bloody apes. a low quality version was leaked. jive records is in possession of the master copy. i hope it's released someday, but i won't hold my breath. 
frown.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #22 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication but pretty much anything after Mother's Milk. Would love to see a greatest hits comp put out by Audio Fidelity!

That would be a nightmare! How can you deconstruct that much of a brickwall? (serious question). I'd throw in Eminem's 'Marshall Mathers LP'. one of the best albums of the 2000's regardless of genre.

The actual master tape of Californication is not brickwalled and is actually quite dynamic. It sounds a hell of a lot better than the LP or CD.

Jan 2, 2011 at 4:50 AM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

The Barry Diament remasters are great but they do come from the wrong tapes. I think the best versions out there are the Diament CD's but what the catalog needs is a complete remix. I can totally hear the limiting in the drums. I can only imagine what an uncompressed and fully dynamic remix might sound like...

Hopefully a proper remix and remaster will sound much better than my petty attempt!

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #24 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

wink.gif

The Barry Diament remasters are great but they do come from the wrong tapes. I think the best versions out there are the Diament CD's but what the catalog needs is a complete remix. I can totally hear the limiting in the drums. I can only imagine what an uncompressed and fully dynamic remix might sound like...

Hopefully a proper remix and remaster will sound much better than my petty attempt!

That really sounds good!

Jan 2, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #26 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
The actual master tape of Californication is not brickwalled and is actually quite dynamic. It sounds a hell of a lot better than the LP or CD.

Are there any decent releases of this album?

There is a leaked promo version that isn't brickwalled but it's not the final version of the album nor is it available in lossless. Most people call it the unmastered Californication. The best you can find it in is in MP3 format. Sadly, even these MP3's sound better than the albums we can buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back