Albums that are physically/mentally/emotionally exhausting, yet highly recommended?
Aug 25, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #121 of 155
Nick Drake- "Pink Moon"
Neutral Milk Hotel- "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea"
Any Sufjan Stevens album
Godspeed You! Black Emperor- "Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven"
Pink Floyd- "The Wall"
I know some of these might have already been mentioned, but off the top of my head these are albums that can stir up a lot of emotions

Aug 25, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #122 of 155
A lot of you seem to be confusing emotionally exhausting with boring.

The Downward Spiral is SO angry, it's just insane. Very emotional.

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #123 of 155
Quote:
A lot of you seem to be confusing emotionally exhausting with boring.

The Downward Spiral is SO angry, it's just insane. Very emotional.

The Downward Spiral is truly exhausting, I agree. I mentioned The Fragile many posts ago because I thought it's even more exhausting since it's a double album with a similar theme or similar themes, but when I think about the title track on The Downward Spiral I really have to say that this album is the "harder one" to listen to. Did anybody mention remix albums by Nine Inch Nails? I have to say that these are great, too. For example, the remix of the aforementioned title track is really draining if one is in the right mood.

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #125 of 155
Orthrelm - OV, Ipecac (IPC 64) from 2005 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk-xujhui7c

Ground & Sky:
Orthrelm have got to be one of the more grating bands in recent history. A guitar-drums duo from Washington, DC, prior to OV they played tiny compositions full of lightning-fast, uber-complex riffs with no repetition whatsoever. The result was dizzying, tantalizing, sometimes mindblowing, and always an exercise in endurance. The 99-track, 13-minute EP Asristir Veildrioxe, and especially the four tracks Orthrelm contributed to a split CD with NYC Ruins-lite duo Touchdown, are nothing if not difficult to listen to for their sheer speed and unmitigated intensity.

On OV, the duo's first release for Mike Patton's Ipecac label, the endurance factor is multiplied tenfold as Orthrelm make repetition the name of the game. While some of the split CD material hinted at what's here, nothing can prepare the listener for the all-out minimalistic assault that is OV. Over the course of its single 45-minute track, tiny riffs are repeated over and over for minutes at a time, everything moving at hyperspeed, with no rest and no break from the intensity. The first major change in theme doesn't happen until eighteen minutes into the composition, and that change is actually a ramping up of intensity rather than a break in it! Not until twenty-two minutes in do things slow down, but only for a minute or two before picking up again. In the second half, themes change with more frequency, building inexorably to what one might expect to be a spectacular conclusion, but which instead is just an abrupt stop. In the end, though, this inconclusiveness is compelling — consistent with the circular, repetitive aesthetic of the piece.

So, imagine Steve Reich or Philip Glass deciding that screaming electric guitars and rapid-fire drums were the weapon of choice for their compositions, and that's a starting point. Then quadruple the speed at which the notes are flurrying, and you've got a better idea of what's really going on. I'm told that Orthrelm has performed this piece live for a couple years now, but I can hardly imagine how this music is playable by humans: it is inhumanly fast, inhumanly precise, and the two musicians are inhumanly tight. Not to mention the fact that the damn thing is about 10 hours' worth of notes compressed into 45 minutes.

It's established, then, that as a work of art, OV is fascinating, unique, maybe even groundbreaking in some ways. But what is it like to listen to? I'm reminded of Erik Satie's solo piano piece "Vexations," in which a single theme is repeated, sans any form of development, 840 times over the course of anywhere from 14 to 28 hours. I actually heard a 14-hour performance of this (by a small army of rotating pianists) a few years ago, and the effect was one of hypnosis; and after a while, it became background noise. Most remarkably, when the performance ended, after the final note was struck, the quiet was shocking: one could hear the electric wall clock humming on the opposite side of the concert hall. OV is kind of like that — the endless repetition ensnares itself into your brain, with each tiny change in theme or tempo magnified tenfold; and the ending is spectacular in its abruptness and resulting psychological effect.

But is it fun? Well, I actually enjoy it, and I've spun it many times, much to my own surprise — I figured this would be a novelty, best heard once and never again, only for intellectual appreciation. But it's kind of addictive, really, and no — I'm not the self-mutilating type. Certainly I would recommend OV to a tiny, tiny percentage of the music listeners I know, but for those and those alone, this is one hell of a ride.

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #127 of 155
It's a bit hard for me to decide which albums belong in this thread, but here goes:

Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 2 Original Soundtrack
Arvo Pärt - Alina
Arvo Pärt - Kanon pokajanen
Arvo Pärt - Tabula Rasa
Beck - Sea Change
Björk - Post
Boris - Boris at Last -Feedbacker-
Chris Cornell - Scream
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Deep Purple - Made in Japan
Eric Dolphy - Out to Lunch!
Jeff Buckley - Grace
John Coltrane - Ascension
John Coltrane - Crescent
John Coltrane - The Olatunji Concert: The Last Live Recording
Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Pixies - Surfer Rosa
Radiohead - Hail to the Thief
Rage Agains the Machine - Rage Agains the Machine
ToolÆnima

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #128 of 155
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Animals
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
Radiohead - Kid A
Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Tool - Aenima
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Nirvana - In utero
Beck - Sea Change
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Almost any of Mozart's Violin Sonatas

Nov 1, 2010 at 2:08 AM Post #129 of 155

Quote:
Orthrelm - OV, Ipecac (IPC 64) from 2005 -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk-xujhui7c

Interesting, I like it.  It's easy to see how many would be annoyed by it.

I think you will like The Necks.  Their sets are generally around an hour in length and are exercises in improvised minimalism.  Their music is my favourite drug of choice:
Four sets streaming here
The music can be exhausting, if you choose it to be.  I think it's beautiful.

Nov 6, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #131 of 155
I'd second Joy Division and add Magic & Loss by Lou Reed.

Nov 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #133 of 155

Nov 7, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #135 of 155
I found this album a few weeks back. 

601183300910.jpg

Harvey Milk - My love is higher than your perception of what my love could be. 

Sludgy to the point of being blues. It's really interesting. 

Life... The best game in town is another good album. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back