Albums that are physically/mentally/emotionally exhausting, yet highly recommended?
Jun 10, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 155
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Pink Floyd - Animals (Close listening required!)
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
DJ Shadow - The Private Press (Listen to 'Blood On The Motorway' 
wink_face.gif
)
James Brown & The JB's - Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thing
Verve - A Storm In Heaven (Heavier than you might expect.)

Big X2! on King Crimson's 'Red' but 'In The Court Of The Crimson King' should not be forgotten, that first track alone.

Some names...

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #19 of 155
Actually I was thinking about recommending two albums, but one of these albums is so well-known that there's probably no one out there who hasn't listened to it: The Wall by Pink Floyd.

My other recommendation is The Fragile by Nine Inch Nails. This one hurts ... In some ways it is melodramatic, but it still remains authentic and oh boy, sometimes it really can take one's breath away if they allow it. I'm not a big fan of wine, I actually dislike most types of wine, but still I want to compare this album with wine: to me this album needed to age; the more I listened to it, the more I could enjoy it. Lyrics-wise it's surely amongst the 'darkest' albums I've ever heard, so stay away from it if you don't like this kind of music. The beauty of it is that it's not just pure and simple force combined with blind power, but delicately composed and written music that is at times even sweet - with a sour taste at the same time. Truly good music, truly inspiring and ... truly exhausting.

Oh, and please excuse me if you already listened to it.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #21 of 155

Homogenic, my first Bjork album. Very good album, but heavy. Really reminded me of Portishead.

Radiohead's OK Computer is heavy too, but too entertaining to be exhausting.

Jun 11, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #22 of 155
Wow...Several listings here that surprise me.
Terry Riley exhausting? I find In C hypnotic, relaxing & uplifting. Just goes to show  - we all hear different... :)

For me - Diamanda Galas - Litanies Of Satan
                Miles - Agartha
                Stockhausen - Stimmung

Much less tiring than anything by the AOR stadium bands tho :wink:

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:15 AM Post #24 of 155

Quote:
Wow...Several listings here that surprise me.
Terry Riley exhausting? I find In C hypnotic, relaxing & uplifting. Just goes to show  - we all hear different... :)

Yup, there are myriad ways to see things, but trust me…you ain't heard In C like this before. Pretty intense…a different kind of "exhausting" than Diamanda, though.

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #25 of 155

Quote:
ISIS - Oceanic
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
King Crimson - Red
(-snip-)

Those are 3 great albums, too.  REALLY love all three.  Never thought I would see them listed together, though!

I love "challenging" music.  I also recommend Yes's Close To The Edge, David Bowie's Heroes, and Sigur Ross's Takk.  There are also lots of physically exhausting metal albums, but that's really a whole different thing.

Jun 14, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #27 of 155

Well, I have to hear that version then, tru blu :)

A new take on an 'old' classic? Goody....

I'll look it up!

Thought by now someone would chuck in Trout Mask, an album I've loved since 1969 but one it took me a fair while to finally 'get' all the music on it. Once got, tho, whoooooooooooooo boy. Perhaps one of the best albums of all time :)

Quote:

Yup, there are myriad ways to see things, but trust me…you ain't heard In C like this before. Pretty intense…a different kind of "exhausting" than Diamanda, though.

Jun 14, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #28 of 155
Apart from some that have already been mentioned:

Joanna Newsom - Ys.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #29 of 155

Quote:
Apart from some that have already been mentioned:

Joanna Newsom - Ys.

I thought about that - great album - but I don't think it's so exhausting.  I think parts of it are downright soothing
L3000.gif

Jun 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #30 of 155

Vast, timeless music that is perfectly described by the album title.  A late night, loud volume headphone session with it, especially the track 'Oort', should be required listening for electronic/ambient listeners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back