Albums that are like good books
Sep 11, 2011 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

boxthorn

Head-Fier
I have this idea that some of the great albums I've listened to lately revolve tend to have themes, that are repeated throughout the album in subtle variations in different tracks. Sort of like a good, engaging book.

It's a little hard to explain, but an example would be Arcade Fire- Neon Bible: Revolves around the theme of spirituality, and some repeating melodies throughout that makes you get a familiar, nostalgic kind of feeling. The individual songs by itself are like little chapters, with each having a little story to it's own. I also think the album Suburbs is a good example.

I'm sorry if I'm not conveying my idea clearly enough, but if someone knows other albums like my those I described, please give me some recommendations!

I'd appreciate some description of your recommendation's themes as well. Thanks!

Sep 11, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 21
I definitely understand what you mean. Probably not what you were thinking, but I think especially in classical music this is very common, and in symphonies almost a rule (at least for the good ones).
With non-classical music, all I can think of right now is "Takk..." by Sigur Rós, but I guess I could find a couple more...

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 21
Yep I knew classical music revolved around variations, especially music from the baroque era composers like Bach, Handel, etc.

I dislike porcupine tree, for it just sounds too straightforward. I agree that the album has songs that are interlinked to each other, but the individual songs in itself are just too one dimensional for me.

As far as music tastes go, I like complex intertwining of different minor and major tonalities that sound lush and beautiful. Songs that have a plot, where each chord progression leads to somewhere else... on a second thought I guess that fits the description of most songs.:p

Perhaps that's why I like Arcade Fire so much and Abby Road is my favorite album of all time. I'm not a huge fan of heavy stuff/grunge. Anything more heavy than fast paced punk is too heavy for me.

Thanks for your replies so far.

Sep 11, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 21
I think you're talking about concept albums.

One favorite is the underappreciated "Dusk at Cubist Castle," by the Olivia Tremor Control. Pop, prog and experimental rolled into one. If you like it, pick up their "Black Foliage" which is harder to get into, but continues the themes and is very rewarding after picking it apart.

Then there is Willie Nelson's "Red-Headed Stranger," a country concept album. Country doesn't get much love here, but give it a try. Intelligent and tuneful throughout - you might end up a fan.

Also, I disagree that most classical concept-style works are from the baroque. Baroque is mostly sacred music, though I guess you can term that a concept. I'd think more along the lines of Prokofiev's "Peter and the Wolf," Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition," Holst's "Planets," or my favorite, Orff's "Carmina Burana."

Check out the backstory on Carmina Burana - very cool. Also worth seeing it performed. Some years back, I caught a production where the choir was painted to look skulls resting on shelves behind the stage. There were chanting "monks" in black robes carrying lit torches around the theater. And much else. It floored the audience.

Sep 11, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 21
Just going to go with a classic and say: The Wall and DSOTM (Pink Floyd). I can't listen to just one song from either album, I have to listen to the whole thing, no exceptions.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #7 of 21
It's fortuitous that I found this thread while listening to Four Tet's There is Love in you. I've described this album as a "journey" since I got it and I constantly keep finding little details which went unnoticed before.
beerchug.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 21
Uncle Erik- I believe you have recommended the Olivia Tremor Control to me before and I loved them.
As for Baroque music being repetitive, it revolves around the same melody that repeats itself in subtle variations. A glaring example would be the Bach invention 8 in F major, where the upper voice plays a melody and the lower voice repeats it. I can also think of Chopin's impromptu do this, as it's in ABA style, where the A introduces a melody, the B goes to something different sounding, usually slower, then goes back to A where the melody played at the beginning reappears in a slightly different form.

So I guess I meant two things. The songs having a theme to it's own, and perhaps having a repeating melody as well that appears throughout the albums.

As for Pink Floyd, they fit what I was talking about perfectly. Just never bothered to list them on here, but they are definitely one of my favorite albums of all time.

Borgbox- I'm not sure if I meant albums you can find little details throughout. But thanks anyways.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 21
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 21
Metal is another genre rife with the kind of album you (OP) describe, my favorite being: Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son.

Another interesting album from a completely unrelated genre is Lightnin' Rod - Hustler's Convention; each song is part of an ongoing narration of the adventures of a gangster attending a fictional hustler's convention over a serious funk groove courtesy of mid-seventies Kool and the Gang.  

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #14 of 21
King Diamond - Them
King Diamond - Abigail
The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back