Albums by one artist as a response to an album by another artist
Apr 1, 2007 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kunuggs

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry if the title is confusing, but I was playing with the notion the other day. I was thinking about albums that were made "in response" to an album made by another group. Usually they are similar styles and sometimes they are trying to "best" one another. Some says these are mere coincidences. Others says they arose because of the massive influence each one had on the other. Here are some examples:

The Beatles vs Beach Boys
-Rubber Soul was released to great appraise. Then Pet Sounds was released as a response to it (supposedly). And then Revolver is released as a response to it.

Sonny Rollins vs John Coltrane
-Arguably the top 2 tenors of the time. They both were releasing massive amounts of material at the time (like, up to 12 albums a year), so this may be difficult to prove. However, check out Rollins 1956 album Saxophone Colossus, then Coltrane's 1957 Blue Train, then Rollins 1958 Freedom Suite, then Coltranes 1959 Giant Steps. Each very progressive, yet similar sounding.

Radiohead vs The Notwist
-In 1997, Radiohead releases OK Computer. Nowtist releases Shrink in 1998. Two years later, in 2000, Radiohead releases Kid A followed by Amnesiac in 2001 (which was recorded at the same time as Kid A). Then, in 2003, Notwist release Neon Golden.

Now, I'm not saying any of these are correct. It just seems like they may be possible. And, if they are in fact true, then GOOD. I think it's awesome that bands can (and will) influence each other and challenge each other to make an even better album than the last.

Can you guys think of any others?

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 7
UTFO - "Roxanne Roxanne"

Roxanne Shante - "Roxanne's Revenge"

UTFO - "The Real Roxanne"

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 7
Ozzy Osbourne rush released his live album SPEAK OF THE DEVIL (with a bunch of Sabbath covers) in response to the Black Sabbath album LIVE EVIL with Dio. Yea, Ozzy was the voice of Sabbath, but Brad Gillis (from Night Ranger) couldn't hold a candle to Tony Iomi in those Sabbath tunes.

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #4 of 7
If my memory is still working correctly, after David Bowie released the album "Low", Nick Lowe responded by releasing an EP named "Bowi".
eggosmile.gif

A_Sr.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblepaulz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UTFO - "Roxanne Roxanne"

Roxanne Shante - "Roxanne's Revenge"

UTFO - "The Real Roxanne"

Oh man, those were the days! There are still people arguing as to which Roxanne was the authentic one.

In response to the OP, The Rolling Stones' Their Satanic Majesties Request was "in response" to The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper.

Apr 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #7 of 7
Most of Megadeth's albums seemed to be responses to Metallica's releases. As a matter of fact I seem to recall Dave Mustaine saying that "Killing is My Business..." was made in retalliation to Metallica using his songs on "Kill 'Em All".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back