album reprise--what does that mean?
Nov 22, 2008 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

johnation33

100+ Head-Fier
Quick question, what does a reprise mean? For example, what's the difference between Bee Gees Greatest Hits (Reprise R2 77604) and Bee Gees Greatest Hits (no reprise)?

Nov 22, 2008 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 12
I'm going to be the first to offer the most stupid answer/guess!

Is Reprise the record label??

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 12
i dont think so, i think its a musical term because according to wikipedia: "Reprise can also refer to a version of a song which is similar to, yet different from, the song on which it is based. The Beatles had both "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" on their 1967 album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. "

but the weird part is, I have both the reprise and non-reprise version and the song sounds exactly the same... not a different "version" per say. so I dont know what it can mean

does it maybe mean a remastering?

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnation33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont think so, i think its a musical term because according to wikipedia: "Reprise can also refer to a version of a song which is similar to, yet different from, the song on which it is based. The Beatles had both "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)" on their 1967 album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. "

but the weird part is, I have both the reprise and non-reprise version and the song sounds exactly the same... not a different "version" per say. so I dont know what it can mean

does it maybe mean a remastering?

A reprise is a musical term, but I assumed in this instance, it referred to the record label. I have loads of albums with reprises on them, and in most cases (from what I remember), they're just a slightly shorter version of the 'main' track, like a 'reminder'
icon10.gif

Now I'm going to wait for someone who actually knows how to clarify it, ha ha.

Oh, is the track you're talking about exactly the same length?

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 12
ah you are right it is reprise records... hmmm does anyone have a clue which one sounds better?

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 12
Reprise usually means a same song that is sung by a different artist, it could also mean remix.

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Taken from the Oxford English Dictionary.

reprise
/ripreez/

• noun 1 a repeated passage in music. 2 a further performance of something.

• verb repeat (a piece of music or a performance).

— ORIGIN French, ‘taken up again’.

The Reprise on this occasion is the Record label.

The other disc is probably the polydor version, I think it is the same issue just used different labels for different countries.

Sometimes the sound quality is different but I can't help on the Bee Gees ones, Try the Hoffman forum.

Nov 22, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Reprise usually means a same song that is sung by a different artist

No, that's a cover version. As others mentioned, the Reprise in question is a record label. As far as the musical term goes, look at the track listing of Heart's Desire walks on:

Amazon.com: Desire Walks On: Heart: Music

You'll notice that track 11 is listed as Avalon (reprise). It's a short abridged version of track 2, Back To Avalon. Another example of a reprise would be during a live performance when an artist starts playing one song, then goes into another song (perhaps a medley) and then finishes by "reprising" the first song.

Nov 22, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, that's a cover version. As others mentioned, the Reprise in question is a record label. As far as the musical term goes, look at the track listing of Heart's Desire walks on:

Amazon.com: Desire Walks On: Heart: Music

You'll notice that track 11 is listed as Avalon (reprise). It's a short abridged version of track 2, Back To Avalon. Another example of a reprise would be during a live performance when an artist starts playing one song, then goes into another song (perhaps a medley) and then finishes by "reprising" the first song.

Extra points for using Heart as your example!
biggrin.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 12
Oddly enough, the only album I can think of off the top of my head with a reprise in it (The Circle and the Square by Red Box) has the reprise two tracks before the track it's reprising... how weird is that?
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #12 of 12
The best example I could think of:

pinkfloyd-album-dark_side_of_the_moon1.jpg

The end of "Time" (track four) has a reprise of "Breathe" (track two).

You'll also find reprises constantly throughout classical music. You'll hear a theme introduced once and then repeated, revised, developed, and tweaked throughout the rest of the piece. Not so common with pop/rock, but try some Bach and you'll hear it everywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back