Album purchases influenced exclusively by Head-Fi members
Jul 28, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #16 of 36
Dan G, are you the same guy who posted a few reviews in Amazon.com ???

I forget which album it was, but I saw Dan G and immediately think of you since you're a legend around here.

I've bought,

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Jacintha - Here's To Ben

And as well 'previewed' a lot of other songs and singers on mp3s. The diversity of this forum pretty much give me a wide range of music to mess about with.

Jul 28, 2003 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 36
LOL, a legend? I'd be surprised to learn that.

I haven't posted many reviews to Amazon.com, especially not in a while. I was thinking of trying to do it, but I'd really just rather post reviews of music here than there. Here I can get responses and build a discussion whereas at Amazon.com it turns into a review discussion which rarely works too well.

Jul 28, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 36
Darn right, every bloody album I've scan through will get a 4 or 5 stars because it was reviewed by the fan of the band. So, fairness goes right out of the window. I do think it was The Crystal Method's Vegas.

I only read to them to see what song they like most, and if that song gets about 2 or 3 mention, I'd download it to see if it was worth all the hoo-haa was about. So far, I must sy I'm quite split. Some were great, most are crap.

I like the fact that you're open enough to just have a taste at everything, just like me. I barely touch the water on most of the categories of music out there, but I've listen to more kind of music than any of my friends does. That is supposed to be the way human should response to music. Live and feel, I supposed.

Jul 28, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 36
I couldn't find a review of Vegas written by me (though I had that album and only sold it a few months ago here on Head-Fi). I did find a spotlight review by me from 10/21/1999 for The Propellerheads' decksanddrumsandrockandroll which I also liked and which I also sold recently. I don't really listen to techno now.

Honestly, though, I have to say that I don't find the best recs here for classical music. I really like some people's recs (Stuartr, for example, but other people too) who seem to have a similar understanding of music to mine and feel it in similar ways, but the best threads are few and far-between. I wish I could see more discussion of the types of unusual music that are actually worthy of fine sonic reproduction. I honestly don't think that techno is one of them! I remember putting the Propellerheads into the Sennheiser Orpheus system at the Home Entertainment show in 2001 in the Headroom exhibition room and how the excessive amount of bass and lack of treble nearly blew my head off. It just wasn't meant for high-fidelity stereo systems.
frown.gif

Jul 28, 2003 at 7:02 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Jacintha - Here's To Ben

heh, heh. I looked it up and I see this album is a tribute to Ben Webster, but when I first read it - I immediately thought of David Lynch's "Blue Velvet". Anyone else get why it cracked me up?

"Here's to Ben!" heh, heh.

Jul 28, 2003 at 11:15 PM Post #21 of 36
Came home today with

Norah Jones - Live in New Orleans (DVD)
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

I was itching for new music and didn't know what to buy next, so silly me goes looking on Head-fi for ideas. Worked out well though...
cool.gif

Jul 29, 2003 at 4:14 AM Post #22 of 36
Shape of Despair
other stuff on the Darkest Desires thread
Mars Volta
Venetian Snares

I'm sure there have been others, but I'm not remembering them right now.

Jul 29, 2003 at 12:08 PM Post #24 of 36
Norah Jones - Coma Away With Me
Silje Nergaard - (can't remember at the moment - like it less)
Coldplay - A Rush Of Blood To The Head (Took a while to enjoy it)
Jonny Lang - Lie To Me

Jul 30, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #25 of 36
where to start? Head-Fi has been my guide for two years, almost most music purchases since then have been inspired by this board: Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, GYBE, Kate Bush, Coltrane, Miles, Boards Of Canada, etc etc.

Aug 11, 2003 at 12:26 PM Post #28 of 36
Dave's True Story - Sex Without Bodies (I love it! Had to buy 2 since my daughter stole the 1st one from me)

Beethoven's 9 Box Set - Zinman Conducting (Great)
Mozart's Requiem - Pearlman/Boston Baroque (beautiful sounds)
Mozart's Violin Concerto's - Monica Huggett
Chillosophy
Jennifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat, The Hunter (which let to Shot Through the Heart, The Well)
Brian Eno - Thursday Afternoon, Music for Airports
Sarah McLachlan - Mirrorball - great live album
& a few others
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2003 at 6:02 AM Post #30 of 36
Does it count if it was downloaded of a for-pay music service (Emusic)? If so, thanks to Dusty Chalk's recommendations many months ago I downloaded all five of the Evils Toy albums available on Emusic (Human Refuse, Morbid Mind, XTC Implant, Illusion, and Angels Only!). Otherwise I haven't gotten anything exclusively on a Head-Fi member's recommendation yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back