Album of the Year Thread
Dec 18, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #61 of 117
Quote:
Who is bored enough to compile a list that has all the common albums between the lists that are linked here into a list?  
biggrin.gif

1. Frank Ocean
2. Kendrick Lamar

...bleh. (no offense intended toward anyone that enjoys those records; celebrate what you like)

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #62 of 117
I can't help but feel pretty guilty about it--but honestly, those are probably going to be the top two in my personal 2012 top 10 list.... lol. Pop hip-hop and R&B are two guilty pleasures of mine, but usually most of what comes out of both genres is utter trash. For two albums to come out of that genre that are not utter trash, but are actually quite good, is pretty much more than my little brain can take. I've probably listened to both more than I have any other album this year...

There might be more interesting, challenging albums that came out this year (like Bish Bosch, or any of the numerous 'vaporwave' releases), and while I love those albums quite a bit (well, love/hate with regards to the vaporwave), I just cannot look into Ocean's and Lamar's eyes and say 'no.' Lawl. I'm such a softie.
Quote:

1. Frank Ocean
2. Kendrick Lamar

...bleh. (no offense intended toward anyone that enjoys those records; celebrate what you like)

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #63 of 117
Quote:
I can't help but feel pretty guilty about it--but honestly, those are probably going to be the top two in my personal 2012 top 10 list.... lol. Pop hip-hop and R&B are two guilty pleasures of mine, but usually most of what comes out of both genres is utter trash. For two albums to come out of that genre that are not utter trash, but are actually quite good, is pretty much more than my little brain can take. I've probably listened to both more than I have any other album this year...

There might be more interesting, challenging albums that came out this year (like Bish Bosch, or any of the numerous 'vaporwave' releases), and while I love those albums quite a bit (well, love/hate with regards to the vaporwave), I just cannot look into Ocean's and Lamar's eyes and say 'no.' Lawl. I'm such a softie.

Heh... no need to feel guilty at all about praising them.  Now I regret not just keeping my comment to myself. 
redface.gif

They're GOOD albums, but I'm of the opinion that the praise/exposure they've received has been incredibly overblown for what they are. As you've acknowledged, they're not exactly challenging listens but instead -- as you've assessed -- standouts among their peers.  Perhaps its that context that has helped to garner them acclaim.  At any rate, it's solid stuff and what's there is well done!  They're just "one-and-done" listens for me personally.

And hey, I've read writeups that have absolutely obliterated some of my top listens from this (and past) year(s).  That's one beauty of art in its truest form: it's often polarizing and makes for fun/interesting discussion! 
beerchug.gif

EDIT:

...and that isn't to mention the most vocal critic in my life: my girlfriend.  She voices her dislike of my selections during every car ride.

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #64 of 117
Nah, I mostly feel 'guilty' about it because they're already on the top of everyone else's list. Not adding much to the conversation if I pretty much agree with everyone else! lol.

Dec 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #65 of 117
1) Lil Boosie - Superbad The REturn of Boosie Bad aZZ
3) Rihanna Unapologetic - just listen to Jump and the dupstep skirillisizing
3) Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music.  - The Reagan song???? nailed it!!!!!!
4) Future -Pluto 3d
5) styles P - diamond life project
6) 2 Chainz - Based on a T.R.U.E. Story
7) Action Bronson Rare Chandeliers
8)Gotye - Mirros my man killed it!
9) Kanye - Summer mix tape thing dope
10) Frank Ocean way to go bro (no homo)jk thats the dumbest cultural phrase EVER, and black people invented it, go figure
11) Azealia Banks - 1991 EP  This island tinged female MC tears it up....Niki get out the way

WORST

Alicia Keys...wow her voice is so ragged and flat.

Ryan Leslie's album was Sooooo dissapointing. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #67 of 117
Quote:
Nah, I mostly feel 'guilty' about it because they're already on the top of everyone else's list. Not adding much to the conversation if I pretty much agree with everyone else! lol.

There's zero fault in voicing your opinion ~ be it parallel or perpendicular to general consensus.  It's all relevant to the topic.

Quote:

WORST

Alicia Keys...wow her voice is so ragged and flat.

Ryan Leslie's album was Sooooo dissapointing. 

This year's Lulu (AKA worst album) for me -- as much as it pains me to type it -- is YOKOKIMTHURSTON.

Dec 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #68 of 117
Still haven't listened to that. I love and admire all three artists, but I'm pretty sure they're the last three artists I'd want to have to sit and listen to as they make noise together...
Quote:
This year's Lulu (AKA worst album) for me -- as much as it pains me to type it -- is YOKOKIMTHURSTON.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #69 of 117
Here's my (somewhat predictable) top 10 list:

#10: Flying Lotus: Until the Quiet Comes
#9: High on Fire: De Vermis Mysteriis
#8: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure
#7: Grizzly Bear: Shields
#6: Converge: All We Love We Leave Behind
#5: Swans: The Seer
#4: Fiona Apple: The Idler Wheel...
#3: Burial: Kindred
#2: Kendrick Lamar: Good Kid, Mad City
#1: Frank Ocean: Channel Orange

I reserve the right to edit this list before the end of the year rolls around, just in case something else comes up. ^^

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #70 of 117
1: BT - Morceau Subrosa
2: Lorn - Ask the Dust
3: Burial - Kindred & Rough Sleeper (EPs)
4: Soular Order - A Change of Pace & IV (EPs) [And possibly his new EP dropping tomorrow]
5: Swans - The Seer
6: Purity Ring - Shrines
7: Two Fingers - Stunt Rhythms
8: Flying Lotus - Until the Quiet Comes
9: Leonard Cohen - Old Ideas
10: BT - If the Stars are Eternal So are You and I...

9 and 10 might be flipped...Also, the new Andy Winter album is fantastic, but I can't include it because it technically comes out next year. Promo copies (and Avant Metal), ftw.

EDIT: Still reserve the right to change this. :D

Dec 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #71 of 117
Quote:
4: Soular Order - A Change of Pace & IV (EPs) [And possibly his new EP dropping tomorrow]

9 and 10 might be flipped...Also, the new Andy Winter album is fantastic, but I can't include it because it technically comes out next year. Promo copies (and Avant Metal), ftw.

Call it a hunch, but I thought that you may have enjoyed Ask the Dust. :wink:  Also, it's cool to see a list bookended/come full circle so nicely.

I'm thrilled to see Old Ideas so well-received.  One of the most endearing albums of the year for me. :)

Great lists!  Keep 'em coming!

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #72 of 117
Yep, so I'm revising mine already lol (hopefully this is the final draft?)

10: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure
9: Grizzly Bear: Shields
8: Killer Mike: R.A.P. Music
7: Converge: All We Love We Leave Behind
6: Swans: The Seer
5: Tame Impala: Lonerism
4: Fiona Apple: The Idler Wheel...
3. Burial: Kindred
2. Kendrick Lamar: Good Kid, Mad City
1. Frank Ocean: Channel Orange

I originally had Killer Mike and Tame Impala in my top 20, but I've been listening to those two albums pretty exclusively recently and really think that I had them placed too low. I think I'd honestly only listened to them each once all the way through this year, so I sort of short-changed them compared to a lot of the other stuff that was in the running for me. Man, what a great year for El-P though--fantastic solo album, fantastic production on R.A.P. music. I think he might be my 'artist of the year.'

Dec 21, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #73 of 117
Quote:

There's zero fault in voicing your opinion ~ be it parallel or perpendicular to general consensus.  It's all relevant to the topic.

agree about that one....i had high hopes and ended up sad that i spent $ on that one

Quote:
Yep, so I'm revising mine already lol (hopefully this is the final draft?)

10: El-P: Cancer 4 Cure
9: Grizzly Bear: Shields
8: Killer Mike: R.A.P. Music
7: Converge: All We Love We Leave Behind
6: Swans: The Seer
5: Tame Impala: Lonerism
4: Fiona Apple: The Idler Wheel...
3. Burial: Kindred
2. Kendrick Lamar: Good Kid, Mad City
1. Frank Ocean: Channel Orange

I originally had Killer Mike and Tame Impala in my top 20, but I've been listening to those two albums pretty exclusively recently and really think that I had them placed too low. I think I'd honestly only listened to them each once all the way through this year, so I sort of short-changed them compared to a lot of the other stuff that was in the running for me. Man, what a great year for El-P though--fantastic solo album, fantastic production on R.A.P. music. I think he might be my 'artist of the year.'

interesting, cause i didn't really love cancer 4 cure (it was good...i love El-P).  i agree about the production on R.A.P, his best beats since Cold Vein (still El-P's high point IMO)
Quote:

i was waiting for your list....Morceau Subrosa has been growing on me a lot.  still can't get into Lorn although it was definitely a good album.  Interesting to see Swans...i don't know you or anything but it's so opposite of 98% of your list!  twas a fantastic album nonetheless and i could've put it on my list without too much thought

Dec 22, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #75 of 117
my favourite albums of 2012, not in any particular preference/order

miguel - kaleidoscope dream
alt j - an awesome wave
tame impala - lonerism
how to dress well - total loss
jessie ware - devotion
passion pit - gossamer
grizzly bears - shields
gotye - making mirrors
two door cinema club - beacon
bobby womack - the bravest man in the universe

worthy mentioned tracks:-

macklemore & ryan lewis - same love + can't hold us + thrift shop (this white rapper really got me going with these 3 tracks) 
kate boy - northern lights
r kelly - share your love
beach house - myth
sharon van etten - serpents
four tet - pyramid
kishi bashi - bright whites
jamie lidell - what a shame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back