Album cover artwork
Sep 13, 2008 at 12:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

starscream

100+ Head-Fier
Where do people get their album cover artwork from to put on their portable players?

I have always just stuck the music on, and never any artwork. How do you correspond your artwork to the albums prior to transferring to their players?

Also while I am at it, I'd like to ask, now that I have ripped some of my albums to FLAC using EAC. The cue sheet that is made for each album I ripped using EAC...what is this used for, and do I also transfer this to the media player with the music files or is it not needed?

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 19
I most get my artworks from Discogs or Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more . In the event that it's not available on those 2 sites (very rare), usually the artist/band's website will provide with one.

As for corresponding, I use iTunes, so every time I add an album I make sure all the tracks of an album has the right artwork... Was hella work at the beginning (I have about 1120 albums) but now it's just routine maintenance
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 19
is there anyway to 'attach' the artwork to the appropriate album in foobar2000?

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #4 of 19
Since I use iTunes, I get about half of my artwork there. I also use allmusic.com to find online stores that sell it, jpc.de for some European imports, Google image search, and as a last resort, a scanner. I've had to do this with about 5 or 6 out of over 2000.

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 19
Heh, I have to pull my scanner out at some point for the albums of small local bands...
But yeah, I do the same kinda thing here, but usually go straight to google image search or Wikipedia if iTunes doesn't find it.

You could look at musicbrainz anyway, I think it does album art fetching?

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #7 of 19
How can I correspond the artwork to the album using foobar?

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 19
iTunes Store.
...or Google Images if needed...

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #9 of 19
Yeah, the real question is what's the easiest way to do this...

DBpoweramp has an add-on that lets you add the art from an album to a particular file, but it tends to be a little buggy for me. Anyone have a better way of doing this?

And to stay on-topic, I usually just use Amazon.

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can I correspond the artwork to the album using foobar?

Foobar won't do it. For my FLAC rips, I use the metaflac command-line utility distributed with FLAC.

Code:

Code:
[left]metaflac --import-picture-from=picture.jpg *.flac[/left]

Foobar will display the embedded picture automatically.

Sep 13, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 19
I mainly use Amazon or Google Images. Between the two of them, I've found album art for every single album I have. I would particularly encourage you to try out Google Images. I've find album art on there that puts the stuff uploaded to Amazon to shame.

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 19
just downloaded a software called tune up (after seeing it on cnet), now it loads along with itunes, after first signing up it gives u free download of 50 album arts and an option to "clean up" 500 files (which by the way works pretty good, gave me abt 98% correct results, the files it didnt recognise were actually hebrew and hindi songs, so i would not really blame it).

Sep 13, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by starscream /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there anyway to 'attach' the artwork to the appropriate album in foobar2000?

I use Tag&Rename to tag everything after I rip with EAC and convert to FLAC. T&R will populate all of the album info including artwork for you by searching Amazon.com or other sources. Once you select information you want, it writes the info into the music files and can also save a separate album cover art .jpeg file called "folder" which will then show up in foobar.
T&R has a trial version you can try for a while if you want to see if it will work for you. It has made my life much easier so I bought the full version and use it a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back