alarm-fi?
Dec 31, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 43
I also use a Squeezebox as my alarm clock (connected to a B&W Zeppelin), but back when I was on call in case my company's servers failed, I had rigged a network power switch to a lamp with a red light bulb that shone in my face. I sleep heavily and sometimes even the alarm won't wake me up, but the red light invariably did.

The NPS is an electric on-off switch with an Ethernet connection, controlled via a web interface or in my case a script that plugged into our monitoring system. I used an iBoot, but the DLI web power switch is much cheaper and can control multiple outlets.

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:57 PM Post #18 of 43
My stomach seems to do a good job of getting me up in the morning, or afternoon depending on whether I'm on holidays, working or at school.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #21 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm hopeless. Sometimes I hit the snooze button 5 times and still not realize that I'm late. I use my cell phone AND alarm clock.

I'm in your camp LOL.

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in your camp LOL.

and this is what i'm trying to get away from

I have one that already escalates to a pretty ridiculous volume level, all the awy across the room, and it still fails me from time to time

thinking I might just break down and use a software utility tied to my stereo system, let those big Yams do more than look pretty
devil_face.gif

about the pillow shaker, how much vibration are we talking? on the level of being nudged? or more like those ass-kicker boxes that some home theatres have?

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #23 of 43
I use my DS' alarm and/or my cell phone's vibration. My roommate uses like... three different alarms, one sounding like an air raid alarm. Needless to say, I fell for it once and panicked. Unnecessary waking up ensues
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #24 of 43
I use my cellphone too but my alarm is that of a recorded fire truck. It wakes me up even in my deepest sleep and is very annoying. I've been using it for about 5 years or so now.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #25 of 43
I have this exact alarm clock: Amazon.com: Oregon Scientific RM313PNA Self-Setting Projection Alarm Clock with Indoor Thermometer, Blue: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Its really nice. It sets itself, it runs on batteries (good if the power goes out and you still want to wake up), and projects the time on the ceiling if you want it to. The alarm noise wakes me up but it starts soft and gets louder so it doesn't scare you. Also I like it because unlike my cell phone, its really easy to press the snooze when I'm in a groggy sleep state. I've always wanted one of those fancy clocks on thinkgeek though. They're cool.

Jan 1, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #26 of 43
Jan 1, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #27 of 43
I too am a heavy sleeper and can literally sleep through hours of a loud alarm clock going off.

Here's my advice/method:
1) Get the right amount of sleep.

2) If #1 is taken care of, try going to bed at a different time or getting up earlier (I'm guessing later isn't an option). I say this because it may be that you are in a very deep phase of sleep every morning at #am when you need to wake.

3) Use two alarms, 3 if needed on important days.

-Place one alarm (Cell phone for me) at least a short walk away from the bed. I use the alarm feature on my blackberry and select and annoying ring. I also at times will set "appointments" on the calendar to go off as slightly later backups.

-I then use an am/fm alarm next to my bed as my main alarm. If not hearing the alarm is a problem, the am/fm part is key. You can learn to sleep through the beep. Instead, I use the fm part, crank the volume all the way, and then the key: tune it just off the station so that there is tons of static and black noise. It's annoying and loud as all get out.

Beyond not hearing the alarm, you have two other potential problems:

A) Turning the alarm off while half asleep only to wake up late. The cell phone palced away may do this but on important days you may want a third cheap and loud clock placed somewhere else in the room.

B) "Sleepy Logic": You hear the alarm and are awake enough to get up, but your still fuzzy headed logic tells yourself that you have plenty of time and you justify how you don't really need to get up yet. It's like bad math while you calculate time with half of your neuronal pathways connecting.

My solution to this isn't foolproof, but helps defeat sleepy logic most of the time. Simply set your alarm 30 minutes fast to trick yourself or at least pad the mistake time so that you will still get up in time...

Good luck!

The good part is that over the past 5 years or so I get up early consistently for work and sleeping through the alarm rarely happens. You can train yourself but I still use failsafes on important days.

Jan 1, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

also, that naked alarm link needs a warning: don't test it while you've got your headphones on + at decent listening level

LOL
bigsmile_face.gif
. Yes its working nice

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #30 of 43
At home I have a cheap walmart durabrand giant display am/fm alarm (i don't know the model. it has a green display).
I don't know the sound pressure, but its loud, and more importantly the alarm is piercing. It always wakes me and I am a heavy sleeper.

At school, I use a set of active pc speakers attached to my creative zen sleek. The zen has an alarm function. While I sometimes hit the snooze on my home alarm, this always gets me up the first time. If you have an alarm function on your DAP, pick up a set of pc speakers. best alarm you can get imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back