alarm-fi?
Dec 31, 2008 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

obobskivich

Headphoneus Supremus
any takers?

what do you use to get yourself up in the morning? I need something new, and obnoxiously loud (we're talking hearing loss here folks)

basically, I need an alarm clock that you can love to hate, you know, the good kind, that will wake you up no matter what, and you just hate it that much more

I'm looking at this one on ThinkGeek:
ThinkGeek :: Neverlate 7-day Alarm Clock

but I'm not seeing SPL output #'s, and I want something triple digit or higher (....yes, it has come to that)

so, any suggestions?

Dec 31, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #2 of 43
I would invest in one of those pillow shakers before I risked my hearing. I see there are some 120 dB alarm clocks around, I'm betting 20 seconds of that a day would lead to permanent hearing loss, likely accompanied by tinnitus.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 43
A small Q&Q alarm clock by the bet.
Of which I usually wake up by the first little beep.

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 43
the bell alarms that you wind up are so incredibly annoying that i've thrown several across the room and ended up damaging the wall more than the clock itself...

Dec 31, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 43
I have three levels of alarm:

A Pioneer digital timer which turns on a lamp.

In case of power failure, I also use a battery-powered digital alarm: beep!

99% of the time, I'm awake and up long before either go off.

Laz

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #7 of 43
I have a crappy Sony clock radio and my wife. If the clock radio doesn't wake me up, the wife does.

Failing that, I have a 2nd alarm set on the Sony which beeps in the most unpleasant way and really wakes you up.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 43
I'm sorta like Kramer. When I set my alarm clock, some how I end up setting some internal alarm clock and wake up 10-30 minuets before it goes off.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #11 of 43
Cheap little Timex indiglo travel clock. However, it has fallen on the floor so many times one of the wires came off of the speaker
eek.gif
I opened it up, and looks to be a quick solder job
biggrin.gif
I'll do that in the new year. No sense in using it whilst I am on VACATION!

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:14 PM Post #12 of 43
I use a Squeezebox 3 attacched to some cheapo JBL computer speakers. Random song every weekday morning, as loud as is needed to wake me (the alarm starts low and increases in volume)

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #13 of 43
I just use my 'phone. There are some nasty high-pitch tones knocking about that you could use as the alarm call. Place across the room as already mentioned... you WILL get up.

Or at least forfeit the pillow throwing it across the room.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just use my 'phone. There are some nasty high-pitch tones knocking about that you could use as the alarm call. Place across the room as already mentioned... you WILL get up.

Or at least forfeit the pillow throwing it across the room.

In more extreme cases, reaching for the 12-bore shotgun next to your bed, opening a lazy eye and shooting in a roughly similar direction to the alarm clock. Lets just hope your mum doesn't poke her head round the door giving you an earful at the same time. - That might hit 2 birds with one stone.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #15 of 43
I'm hopeless. Sometimes I hit the snooze button 5 times and still not realize that I'm late. I use my cell phone AND alarm clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back