Alambic Ears - Impressions thread - Mentawai, Mavericks, Mundaka, Noosa
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #76 of 315
Raw bass power is exquisite with great rumble. Sub bass impact is mind blowing, violent, like never I've heard that... and I'm a basshead.
Mid-bass are present but not so much, low impact is really really low and not based on low-mids/mid-bass. I'm glad voices are put upfront of the stage, that's not a V shaped tuning.
Trebles have lot of extension without any aggressivity or spikes and remind me VE8's presentation.
That's though quite difficult to describe the sound of an IEM after having it discovered half a day sooner...

Not to worry, I know its early days for you.

I know Fred wanted to give the Mentawai more subbass than the Traillii and it seems the balance has shifted down further to sub rather than midbass and that should make for a nice open midrange. I just hope its retains some warmth and organic character. I've heard from others that it manages 'organic' better than Traillii, so I'm not too worried in that respect.

Oct 23, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #77 of 315
Raw bass power is exquisite with great rumble. Sub bass impact is mind blowing, violent, like never I've heard that... and I'm a basshead.
Mid-bass are present but not so much, low impact is really really low and not based on low-mids/mid-bass. I'm glad voices are put upfront of the stage, that's not a V shaped tuning.
Trebles have lot of extension without any aggressivity or spikes and remind me VE8's presentation.
That's though quite difficult to describe the sound of an IEM after having it discovered half a day sooner...
I would like to know how many hours you have been listening to it and I wanted to know: 1) if the low range remains tight and very controlled 2) and if I understand correctly, does the mid range remain a bit behind?

Oct 23, 2021 at 4:26 AM Post #78 of 315
20211023_091127_remastered.jpg
20211023_091139_remastered.jpg
20211023_091153_remastered.jpg
20211023_091211_remastered.jpg
20211023_091256_remastered.jpg

Oct 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #79 of 315
Very nice pics :)

Nov 7, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #81 of 315
I'll soon be posting some pics and impressions... Stay tuned :)

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #86 of 315
That's clear !!!
I'm checking the thread regularly just in case ....:smiley:

Soon! some of those (#4 and 5) are pics of my Mentawai being built thanks @Rollk2 !

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #87 of 315
I'm using the Mentawaï with a simple Ifi Go Blu and it works great. I really like Aldo's tuning, a bit dark with top notch extension. On indie rock like Angus & Julia Stone that's as good as on good old electronic music like Prodigy. What characterises most the Mentawaï is probably that big open soundstage with frontal impact. I can't wait to have more friends with them, I hope you'll have them very soon!

20211111_230801.jpg

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #88 of 315
I'm using the Mentawaï with a simple Ifi Go Blu and it works great. I really like Aldo's tuning, a bit dark with top notch extension. On indie rock like Angus & Julia Stone that's as good as on good old electronic music like Prodigy. What characterises most the Mentawaï is probably that big open soundstage with frontal impact. I can't wait to have more friends with them, I hope you'll have them very soon!
All things good come to those who wait as they say, I must say I am pretty impatient!

Dark with top notch extension sounds like Volt so I guess that comparison will have to be made in the review :)

Big open soundstage and dark is a fairly uncommon combination, I would have figured more forward mids from what I had gathered as well as treble energy but we'll see soon!

Nov 13, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #90 of 315
The medium is quite present David, it is a type of curves in W but to the warm and thick sound

This sounds made for me! :D

Roll on delivery!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back