Alambic Ears - Impressions thread - Mentawai, Mavericks, Mundaka, Noosa
Sep 28, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #65 of 315
Put my order in for the Mentawai this morning. Looking forward to hearing something made by Fred!

I have the Traillii in distant memory so hopefully I can provide some very rough comparisons.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #67 of 315
I am #4 on the queue list for Mentawai, it's been a long time since I have been this excited about a release...

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #69 of 315
It will be nice, but it won't be a surprise I have heard Mundaka and Noosa that's why I blind purchased :)

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #70 of 315
I am #4 on the queue list for Mentawai, it's been a long time since I have been this excited about a release...

I believe I'm number 5 or 6. The wait begins!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #72 of 315
My little finger tells me someone (not me ! :cry: ) got their custom Mentawai (the first) and... it looks like it rocks! Tell us more @Rollk2 :wink: !!!
That was the general gist of everyone who had the universal demo as well... can't wait!

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #73 of 315
20211022_120214_remastered.jpg

Ultra explosive custom IEM
I've had VE8, SE5 Ultimate, EM10, FIBAE7 and so many other CIEMs... none of them were as brutal, intense as the Mentawaï. I have read the Trailli were distant and laid back, the Mentawaï's soundstage is direct in your face.

The architecture of the Mentawaï is a 5 ways based on:
- 7 tweeters to handle high frequencies (Sonion quad EST + Sonion E50D + Knowles 30095)
- 4 Sonion 28UAP dedicated to low mids
- 1 proprietary driver for low frequencies

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #74 of 315

Ultra explosive custom IEM
I've had VE8, SE5 Ultimate, EM10, FIBAE7 and so many other CIEMs... none of them were as brutal, intense as the Mentawaï. I have read the Trailli were distant and laid back, the Mentawaï's soundstage is direct in your face.

The architecture of the Mentawaï is a 5 ways based on:
- 7 tweeters to handle high frequencies (Sonion quad EST + Sonion E50D + Knowles 30095)
- 4 Sonion 28UAP dedicated to low mids
- 1 proprietary driver for low frequencies

A proprietary DD, just to clarify further!

Wow, they look good. Could you expand any further on what you're hearing. Tonally, how would you describe it? What are the mids like? I'm assuming they're forward from your description?

Looking forward to hearing more and enjoy your custom! I'm waiting on a universal!

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #75 of 315
Raw bass power is exquisite with great rumble. Sub bass impact is mind blowing, violent, like never I've heard that... and I'm a basshead.
Mid-bass are present but not so much, low impact is really really low and not based on low-mids/mid-bass. I'm glad voices are put upfront of the stage, that's not a V shaped tuning.
Trebles have lot of extension without any aggressivity or spikes and remind me VE8's presentation.
That's though quite difficult to describe the sound of an IEM after having it discovered half a day sooner...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back