Alambic Ears - Impressions thread - Mentawai, Mavericks, Mundaka, Noosa
Aug 12, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #286 of 315
What aspects of the Aurora did not align with your personal preferences?
Hey there -- Sorry I missed this for forever!! I just didn't like the timbre mainly. I thought it was thin through the midrange, and the soundstage was rather constrained too. Overall, this gave a bit of a "non-dynamic" feel to it. Just too flat and uninvolving.

Regarding the Mentawai, I've been getting used to my set now for several days, and man I think I've found my goldilocks IEM. Running it on the N7 is just sublime. I can't stop listening to it.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #287 of 315
Hey there -- Sorry I missed this for forever!! I just didn't like the timbre mainly. I thought it was thin through the midrange, and the soundstage was rather constrained too. Overall, this gave a bit of a "non-dynamic" feel to it. Just too flat and uninvolving.

Regarding the Mentawai, I've been getting used to my set now for several days, and man I think I've found my goldilocks IEM. Running it on the N7 is just sublime. I can't stop listening to it.

Mentawai only gets better with time! Glad you're so happy with it.

Aug 13, 2023 at 1:49 AM Post #288 of 315
Musical but technical beast 🤟😎

Very good confort.

Great sound isolation.

DSW (me ! 😅) approved 😉

Sep 14, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #291 of 315
My Mentawai is still for sale, opening up shipping to US and Europe too. Awesome IEM, just not enough time in the day to enjoy it.

Please click the link in the signature if you're interested.

I put this IEM against most of the 'Cooler top 10 and it goes toe to toe with them all. Standout feature is the bass. You won't find better. Singularity is cleaner in the midbass but not as fun in the subbass.

Feels bad to have to push a sale this hard for such a good IEM...anyhow...

Happy listening!

Sep 14, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #292 of 315
Holy good lord have you guys ever hooked into a nice amp? I have mentawai in the RME aid-2 RIGHT NOW and I’m seriously going to say it’s the best thing I’ve ever heard.
I tried with an AKse200, ALO CDM, ALO V5, Fiio M11 and PC. I think a neutral amp is perfect to balance bass and trebles.

So my favorite match is with se200

Oct 5, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #294 of 315
Here’s a quick picture preview! Lol

Attachments

• PA050562.jpeg
    PA050562.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 6, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #296 of 315
Hey guys. I have a review almost ready for the Menatawai but…lol…despite having written a review before I cannot for the life of me remember how to go about it. HELP!
You mean to post on headfi?

You might not have found it because Mentawai lacked a product page :wink:
I just fixed this!

Go to this page : https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/alambic-ears-mentawai.26769/ and click "Add a review" :)
You'll have the honor of going first :wink:

I'll join later when the revised Mentawai reach me !

By the way @DaveStarWalker you should post yours here too
I didn't find @ian91 review on the thread with a quick search but same here please share what you wrote, it was great !

1696577803307.png

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #297 of 315
So I have received the revised Mentawai with the updated tuning today

1697115213242.jpeg

Plugged to Cayin N30 LE with Orpheus (I turned off to Solid State, Mid gain in Hyper Mode), I can clearly say that the Mentawai retain the punchy and powerful (quality) basshead level bass but a more open stage with quite a bit more air. Clearly the EST have a better yield (positioned closer to the bore) with more energy which makes the Mentawai more vibrant up top, balancing the powerful low section. Midrange is really nice as well with good meaty lower midrange but at the same time proper bite and energy in the upper midrange. Separation is really good given the meaty mids.

I need to roll them to other sources and cables to avoid too much bias here but it clearly show the strong technicalities of the Mentawai that is on par with other (much pricier) flagships with same source and cable. The re-work on the EST is really paying off there and the overall fine tuning is bringing Menta to the next level ❤️‍🔥

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #298 of 315
So I have received the revised Mentawai with the updated tuning today

1697115213242.jpeg

Plugged to Cayin N30 LE with Orpheus (I turned off to Solid State, Mid gain in Hyper Mode), I can clearly say that the Mentawai retain the punchy and powerful (quality) basshead level bass but a more open stage with quite a bit more air. Clearly the EST have a better yield (positioned closer to the bore) with more energy which makes the Mentawai more vibrant up top, balancing the powerful low section. Midrange is really nice as well with good meaty lower midrange but at the same time proper bite and energy in the upper midrange. Separation is really good given the meaty mids.

I need to roll them to other sources and cables to avoid too much bias here but it clearly show the strong technicalities of the Mentawai that is on par with other (much pricier) flagships with same source and cable. The re-work on the EST is really paying off there and the overall fine tuning is bringing Menta to the next level ❤️‍🔥
Holy crap man! That’s awesome! I’m gonna message you .

My review is up.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/alambic-ears-mentawai.26769/

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #299 of 315
If anyone has a Mundaka they would like to sell please hit me up I'm very interested in buying a set.
Kindest Regards
Jay

Dec 8, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #300 of 315
Nobody ever graphed any of the Alambic Ears or the Mentawai specifically? I can't find any on Squiglink. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back