ALACs and FLACs......What?
Aug 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TheAwesomesauceShow

100+ Head-Fier
To head-fiers that have multiple daps, I have an obvious and possibly stupid question that I need to confirm.  Can you play ALAC files on non apple devices?  Or does that have an Apple encryption preventing us from playing it outside their devices.  My only dap is an Apple ipod classic (120gb) so I can't test it if it works or not
frown.gif
confused.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 6
To my knowlege there is no encryption per se but most competing players (such as the zune or sony players) prefer not to support it, as if it becomes an industry standard then that just further solidifies the iPod's dominance in the market.  Converting Apple Lossless to Flac is simple.  Use XLD on a mac or dbPoweramp (should have an add on compatibility pack for m4a) for windows.

Aug 9, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
To my knowlege there is no encryption per se but most competing players (such as the zune or sony players) prefer not to support it, as if it becomes an industry standard then that just further solidifies the iPod's dominance in the market.  Converting Apple Lossless to Flac is simple.  Use XLD on a mac or dbPoweramp (should have an add on compatibility pack for m4a) for windows.

Thanks, I'm trying to stay away from the Apple devices since they don't support FLAC(I've got a lot of CDs that needs re-ripping) but other non Apple daps support it but don't support ALAC.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm seriously considering it but I need more space. I currently maxed out my 120gb ipod with 192-320 kbps files.  Might go with Archos' 500gb DAPs or upgrade my ipod's hdd then Rockbox it
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back