AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Mar 20, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #1,411 of 1,548
The clear tip is brighter than the black Final E tip. Not advisable to use the clear tip if you are already sensitive to treble.

Is there a way you can swap the white tips for the black version?

Nah I already put them on so no return. They are very comfortable and seal is great. Bass becomes a lot stronger (probably because of the seal). I don't notice any change in treble. In certain songs vocal feels closer, which is interesting experience.

Thanks for suggesting this tip! The clear one is already better than all my existing tips (spinfit, moondrop, fiio, sony). I'll try the black version.

p.s. sibilance is still strong. I have to take a break after 30min listening. maybe I just got sensitive ears.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #1,412 of 1,548
Can anyone compare the n5005 to the sennheisers ie series?

I was looking for a used ie600 and thought maybe I could try the AKG.

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #1,413 of 1,548
Can anyone compare the n5005 to the sennheisers ie series?

I was looking for a used ie600 and thought maybe I could try the AKG.

It is an apples to oranges comparison for a hybrid (like AKG N5005) to be compared to a single DD (like Senn IE600), cause the different driver types have their pros and cons.

But FWIW, the N5005 is more technical than the IE600. Soundstage and technical chops are better on the N5005. Timbre is more natural on the IE600 (N5005 has quite a bad BA timbre in the higher registers). N5005 has 4 tuning options so in a way it is more versatile.

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:02 AM Post #1,414 of 1,548
|
It is an apples to oranges comparison for a hybrid (like AKG N5005) to be compared to a single DD (like Senn IE600), cause the different driver types have their pros and cons.

But FWIW, the N5005 is more technical than the IE600. Soundstage and technical chops are better on the N5005. Timbre is more natural on the IE600 (N5005 has quite a bad BA timbre in the higher registers). N5005 has 4 tuning options so in a way it is more versatile.
I understand, they have a significant sonic difference.

I thought about comparing them mainly because of the small format, which seem to fit me better and is something I always look when searching for new IEMs.

I think I will give it a try because of the price, and if it turns out not being my favorite maybe I can use it as a wireless unit.

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #1,415 of 1,548
|

I understand, they have a significant sonic difference.

I thought about comparing them mainly because of the small format, which seem to fit me better and is something I always look when searching for new IEMs.

I think I will give it a try because of the price, and if it turns out not being my favorite maybe I can use it as a wireless unit.

See if you can get the AKG N5005 at the $199 USD on Harman's site or Ebay. It is a good deal at this price, but at the original pricing close to $1000, I wouldn't recommend it.

Mar 31, 2023 at 11:31 PM Post #1,417 of 1,548
If you can get this for $200, you're golden, you won't find better sound at the price.

Apr 17, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #1,418 of 1,548
Does anyone know the spec / quality of the n5005 included cables? Is it occ or ofc, coating, etc. Couldn't find any info on them. I'm wondering whether they are "good" enough, or I need to spend $$$ on 3rd party cables. Thanks.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #1,419 of 1,548
Does anyone know the spec / quality of the n5005 included cables? Is it occ or ofc, coating, etc. Couldn't find any info on them. I'm wondering whether they are "good" enough, or I need to spend $$$ on 3rd party cables. Thanks.

They are a bit thin, but serviceable. Not sure about the material of cable, but the N5005 uses a semi-propetiary MMCX connector, so not all aftermarket cables can fit it, as there is a collar on the IEM connector part.

Apr 17, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #1,422 of 1,548
Yes I'll probably have to go custom when buying new cables, which add to the $$$...
I bought this for my N5005 and it sounds great, even if very cheap in price.

US $18.00 91%OFF | NiceHCK OrangeSir Cable 8 Cores 6N OCC+High Conductivity Copper Mixed Upgrade Wire 3.5/2.5/4.4 MMCX/0.78/N5005 Pin Solaris YUME
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msrWQBO

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #1,424 of 1,548
ItsFit Lab has done fantastic job turning my n40 into custom. And it sounds incredible!!! My A18T and FuSang is in the box now.
IMG_20230427_185241.jpg

May 3, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #1,425 of 1,548
When I saw these on sale for $250 I couldn't resist the temptation and jumped on the deal. I've had them for a couple of months now so I feel comfortable enough with their sound to give my impressions of them.

The first thing I noticed is how amp picky they are. Not in the sense that they're difficult to drive but rather that they don't play nicely with everything that you plug them into. On the wrong amp they can sound very harsh and piercing but on the right amp they become quite smooth and well-controlled. I suspect that this is because their impedance is so low. I'd definitely recommend using them with a clean amp that has an output impedance below 1. It doesn't have to be expensive, they play very nicely with my Massdrop THX AAA One on low gain.

I also noticed that the different filters change the sound quite noticeably. I've tried living with all of them and in the end I decided that I prefer the bass boost filters. Of course, these filters don't really boost the bass so much as they hold back the treble. I appreciate that AKG realized that different people prefer different amounts of treble. All of the other filters had too much ear gain but the bass filters with the THX amp really hits the spot.

I have a love/hate relationship with their tonal balance. It sounds fantastic with some genres and not so great with others. They're harman tuned, which I don't usually like, but these are one of the best attempts at matching the harman curve that I've heard thus far. They have a very clear and transparent sound about them with powerful sub-bass but they can often come across as thin. They lack some meat on the bones. Personally, I'd like them to have a touch more weight in the midrange but I can appreciate them for what they are. The scooped out lower midrange is a feature of the harman curve, not a quirk. The bass filters help tame that extremely V-shaped sound signature by reducing the highs a bit but even with the bass filters on they have a very harman adjacent tuning.

They're very open sounding. If I didn't know any better I would think that they were totally open backed. This must have something to do with the big port in their shell. The flipped side of that coin is that they don't provide much in the way of passive noise isolation. I can quite clearly hear the sound of my fingers typing on my keyboard with them in my ears and music playing. Whether this is a pro or a con depends on your perspective.

Their soundstage and imaging are average. I've heard better staging in iems. Their level of detail retrieval is above average but not phenomenal.

All in all, these are a fantastic set of universal iems. Many will crave more weight in the midrange but the abundant amount of treble and the well-extended sub-bass have an addictive effect. On the right track this combination is magical. I couldn't live with them as my only audio equipment but they have earned a permanent spot in my arsenal.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back