AKG's New Flagship IEM - N5005
Dec 10, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #736 of 1,541
Just received a Sony 300a yesterday. Got an iBasso 2.5 to 4.4 adapter as well. The 300 and the N50 are a great pairing.

Dec 10, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #737 of 1,541
Have the CA Andromeda and will be getting the Prophile 8. So like some well balanced IEM's.
1) How does the N5005 compare to these?

Had the N40 and the bass of these was too much in quantity for me.
2) How is the N5005 bass quantity with reference filter compared to the N40?

3) When will be released the first review here on head.fi?

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #738 of 1,541
@demo-to .. how long did you have the N40 for?

I only ask because I have them, and at first there was too much bass. It would occasionally thump me in the ears a bit too hard. However after maybe five hours the N40 had eased off thumping a bit. More by ten hours. Overall by twenty hours I gave up looking for any change because I found them perfectly balanced. (No thumping in the bass either.) They were just so smooth sounding, and sounded totally run in.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #739 of 1,541
@demo-to .. how long did you have the N40 for?

I only ask because I have them, and at first there was too much bass. It would occasionally thump me in the ears a bit too hard. However after maybe five hours the N40 had eased off thumping a bit. More by ten hours. Overall by twenty hours I gave up looking for any change because I found them perfectly balanced. (No thumping in the bass either.) They were just so smooth sounding, and sounded totally run in.
Indeed, only 5-10h pure listening time if I remember correctly. I am usually off rapidly by a too much emphasised bass quantity for my taste.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #740 of 1,541
Have the CA Andromeda and will be getting the Prophile 8. So like some well balanced IEM's.

Had the N40 and the bass of these was too much in quantity for me.
2) How is the N5005 bass quantity with reference filter compared to the N40?

@Lurk650 could probably answer this more definitively. But, I had the N40 for a couple of weeks or so. From what I can recall, I'd say the bass on the N40 is very similar in quantity to that of the N5005 (assuming reference filters on both). I'm a bit of a basshead so I like both models and am not bothered by either.

Dec 10, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #741 of 1,541
Indeed, only 5-10h pure listening time if I remember correctly. I am usually off rapidly by a too much emphasised bass quantity for my taste.

I think that's just the way we thing sometimes. When I first put the AKH N40 in my ears, I practically jumped on Head-Fi in worry. I asked, 'do they need time to run in'? No-one answered, and soon enough I answered myself saying yes they did. I could have rejected them straight off if I had worried any more.

It was a clear change though between new and run in. I remember distinctly being hit in the hears with some kick drums, in the lower register. That was just with my regular music too; meaning not dance tunes with big beats. (They were also a bit scratchy in the top end. Just generally not all together.) Over time they smoothed out perfectly. After twenty hours plus I was already swept off my feet with them. .... They probably did change a bit more after twenty hours, and I think just a bit they did. However at twenty hours I did not need to monitor change any more. They had already exceeded my expectations, and were exactly what I needed in exact regard.

I think that the N5005 will be similar in balance signature. They say of the N5005, that the five drivers sound perfectly integrated. I imaging they are a more refined and more detailed IEM, than the N40 too. Should be good. I think the only reason why I have not bought the N5005 yet, is because of the Shure SE846 reviews. I am still undecided.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #742 of 1,541
@Lurk650 could probably answer this more definitively. But, I had the N40 for a couple of weeks or so. From what I can recall, I'd say the bass on the N40 is very similar in quantity to that of the N5005 (assuming reference filters on both). I'm a bit of a basshead so I like both models and am not bothered by either.

The pro-reviewers all agree also, that the high boost filters do not make the N5005 bright either. They just make them a little more forward. I think there are high-high boost filters with the N5005. HiFi Plus complimented the high boost filters, and make a particular point. That even the most high frequency boosting options, they said they don't make the N5005 bright at all.

HiFi Plus reviewed the AKG N5005 in issue 164.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #743 of 1,541
Yes, I find similar quantity but better quality. The bass is not unnecessarily in your face.

Dec 17, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #744 of 1,541
I had the chance to listen a few hours to my N5005 this weekend. I like it! It is not bass enhanced at all with all the filters except the bass filter I had the feeling. I went with the reference filter.
I think it is tip sensitive. I ended up - as almost - with wide bore foam tips like InAirs Air2 or Xcessor 4.9.
It is power consuming. Have it with the M0 at 75-95% volume with high gain.
I did an A/B session with my Andromeda yesterday and as they are quite different in their approaches they are not far away SQ wise and technically.
I could not easily decide which I like more - the more engaging Andromeda or the more laid back, forgiving and completely fatigue free N5005.
No sibilance, no harshness with the N5005, but I also did not miss the forwarding higher registers of the Andromeda too much since the AKG gives sufficient details. Of course the Andromeda sounds airier thought.
I liked the good instrument separation as well the nice note articulation with the AKG.
I can clearly hear the coloration of the Andromeda in direct comparison when you switch between both. The AKG is more natural and even.
The Andromeda has for me at least the better, faster and cleaner bass. I also like the forward and natural mids at the Andromeda.
The AKG excels with its overall coherence, thought. But I wished the mids more forward. They are not positioned behind the scene / instruments. I just like these more forward. It is my personal preference. And the Andromeda do this for me.

I am getting the Solaris today and will see how they compare to the AKG and Andromeda and which of these will stay with me and be the contender for the Prophile 8 which I am seeking for and which I assume to be my preferred signature and SQ IEM.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #746 of 1,541
I don't know what the Andromeda are, but I like your descriptions of the N5005.
Campfire Andromeda. All BA old flagship IEM

Dec 18, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #750 of 1,541
Last night's shoot out winner for me is the CA Solaris - AKG N5005 (reference filter) wins the 2nd place, followed by the CA Andromeda. But, what the biggest surprise was for me, that the AKG was the hardest contender which lets win the Solaris by only a very small margin.
I think, both share more or less the same tuning.
I decided to let win the Solaris because of the advantage in the treble which is very slightly more sparkling and shimmering and the slightly better natural tonality in the mids where voices are. The AKG is a little forward there compared to the Solaris but with the costs of being slightly shouty.
I see the AKG excelling in technology, versatility, comfort and by far in price/ performance ratio.
It's a very good shot by AKG. Congratulations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back