AKG271s, BeyerDT250/250, DT831 or DT880???
Nov 27, 2005 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
I want a pair of full cans, primarily for home use but would like to be able to take them out on the train etc as well. I am going insane over this, this is like my 4th thread.

I just ordered a Xin supermini3 and listen all music types. I also own e3c's so I have a fully portable option if needed. But the IEMs hurt my ears a bit so portable full cans would be a bonus. BUT NOT IF IT MEANS SACRIFICING SQ.

If not for the leakage question it would seem DT-880s no question. I don't mind if there some leakage.

I read a review that really likes the DT831s with a 120ohm adapter?

What would you recommend:

AKG 271s
Beyer DT250/250
Beyer DT831 w 120 ohm adapter
Beyer DT880 and accept some leakage on the train

Nov 27, 2005 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 21
Currently I am listening to Beyer DT250/80 with Xin Supermini3 (via nano / line out)...and it's wonderful. I don't have to sacrifice SQ for portability (and privacy... with little sound leakage). DT250 is smaller than it looks on the pictures...and I like the non-tangle (pig tail) cord.

Good luck...

Nov 27, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 21
I think that you answered your own question: the DT880.

If closed and portable are a high priority, the DT250-250 are great, if they fit your ears. They are a rather small headphone.

The AKG K501 would have been my first pick. Now with the new models, everybody is holding their breath. You might be able to get a deal on K501s. Then wait for people to start unloading the new models
wink.gif

As for comfort of canal phones, I got by with the E3c, but they did not really fit my ear canals. The E4c can be modified to allow a better fit, at least on my ears. Maybe an option for later upgrade.

gerG

Nov 27, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 21
If you plan on using them on a train, then go for one of the truly closed headphones. Sound leakage is just plain rude, even if you as the wearer are ok with it.

Nov 27, 2005 at 8:45 AM Post #6 of 21
Hmmm...

So one for the 880s, one against the 880s, one for the 271s and one for the 250/250s

This is too hard!! Much harder than choosing IEMs.

Anymore opinions?

How do the 250/250s compare to the 880s?

Nov 27, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 21
Another vote for the DT250/250.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I've got the DT880, too - but I'm not much of a fan...

Nov 27, 2005 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Another vote for the DT250/250.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: I've got the DT880, too - but I'm not much of a fan...

Why do you prefer the Dt250s over the 880s. Surely most would disagree?

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000
Why do you prefer the Dt250s over the 880s. Surely most would disagree?

I guess so. Still, the DT880 somehow has completely failed to impress me. I prefer the much less expensive DT531 in every respect (comfort (DT880 has too much clamping force for my taste and is heavier, too...), amping requirements (DT880 needs quite a juicy amp) and sound (DT880 sounds too sterile and bland for my taste)) - and quite the same goes for the DT250/250, too, which sounds very similar to the DT531.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Nov 27, 2005 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbb2005
I think you should consider the AT A900 as well. Do a search on the forum and you will find they being considered as highly recommended closed cans for under 200

I did consider the AT A900 but it seems its size really rules out any idea of portability. One comment about them said "Help me Obiwan, you're my only hope..."!!

Nov 27, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #12 of 21
I have a pair of Beyer DT831s that I use at home. I like them, but they seem rather large for portable use. They have quite a bit of detail, but they're somewhat bright and lack deep bass. My Perreaux amp matches well with them, taming the rough edges and bringing out their musicality. They're good phones, but not as good as my AKG K-701s or Sennheiser HD-600s. I haven't heard them with the 120 ohm adapter, though.

Nov 27, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #13 of 21
lini makes a good point, the DT880 are power hogs. I consider the supermini pretty marginal as a power source for them.

Beware the DT831. I have had 2 pair of them, and they were completely different in sound character. One pair was just wonderful, with deep powerful bass. They were a bit on the bright side, but not objectionable. Then I ended up with an older pair. Nasty edgy things with no bass and over-emphasis on the highs. I have a strong suspicion that there is more than one series of those cans running around out there.

The DT931 are a fantastic listen, and they have been all but forgotten of late. I am not sure which can was a direct replacement for them in the Beyer line.

I have the AKG K271, and I am not impressed. They have some issues.

Since you said that portability was not critical, I would suggest ruling out the closed cans and stick with an open can for home use. Any of the top open cans from Beyer, AKG, Sennheiser are a great listen.

gerG

Nov 27, 2005 at 7:43 PM Post #14 of 21
for home use, there are so much to choose from.

for portable use, IMHO you have to go with closed since the lack of isolation completely nullifies any benefits from better quality cans. Plus I love the AKG sound in general and hence the K271S. So it really depends on how much you weigh suitability for outdoor use. If it really isn't a big factor, then go for something else - better deals out there. Personally I just ordered the DT880s so if that says anything...

But if I could only buy one single pair, and since commuting is a big part of my music listening, I'd have to go with the K271S.
I'd also be interested in hearing what is meant by "issues". I've heard nothing but good things about them - and my friend just recently got to try it and he loved them. I'll be able to try one soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back