AKG271 - COWON D2 AMPED?
Mar 25, 2008 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

100+ Head-Fier
Ive read the very very long debate if the cowon d2 DAP can power the akg 701 but could they power a lower class akg 271? If not, ill just go for the sr60- btw how much improvement is the sr 60 over the px100?

Thanks for the replies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive read the very very long debate if the cowon d2 DAP can power the akg 701 but could they power a lower class akg 271? If not, ill just go for the sr60- btw how much improvement is the sr 60 over the px100?

Thanks for the replies.
smily_headphones1.gif

K271 is not "lower class", it's top closed AKG can. And it needs gobs of power to work right, forget about driving it straight out of DAP, even if it gives enough volume it'll sound crappy.

Mar 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Pretty much the same answer as with the K701, I imagine: yes it will drive it, better than a weaker dap can, but not as well as a good amp will. It could be even more an issue with the 271, actually, since it really needs power to produce strong bass.

An SR-60 will easily pull ahead of a KSC-75 or PX100 with a passable amp and source, but the distance will be shorter straight out of a dap. Maybe a Cowon won't have any problem with it, though back when I had an SR-60 it sounded much better with a go-vibe than straight from a Cowon U2. Straight out of the U2, it was only a little better than my KSC-75, but with the amp, much fuller and more pleasing.

But why do you compare the gigantic and closed K271 to a small, open SR-60? Apples and oranges, and I'm sure that a little browsing around the site would show you a few options that would split this difference and meet your needs better than either. (though of course, you haven't mentioned what you need yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back