AKG vs Ultrasone
Aug 22, 2007 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TC Johnson

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

After lurking on the board for information as I search for new 'phones, I made a leap and ordered AKG K601s and Ultrasone Proline 550s to compare. After about 30 hours of burn in, my wife and I ran through a collection of CD tracks to see which might suit us as our first set of better headphones. I spend more time listening this way than she does, but I value her ears in this kind of selection. This is how we chose our B&W 603s after much research and comparison to some nice Revels.

After going through about a dozen or so tracks ranging from rock to 16th century choral music, neither of the two really stood out as having an overall superior sound. The open AKGs had a great treble and midrange with superior "air" around the musicians, but lacked any form of bass muscle. It was there, but wimpy, affecting the overall continuity of sound. On the other hand, the Proline 550s had bass punch, particularly in the lower registers of teh piano, but massed or solo strings sounded overly woody and hollow; not like the real thing. Voices also found a "cupped hands" quality, compared to the AKGs.

They have both been returned, and my quest begins again, with the realization that I will likely need to move up a bit in price to get what I am looking for. The AKG K701s and Ultrasone Proline 750s seem to each have their fans, and I would consider another comparison purchase. Clearly each maker has a house sound, but will there be a sufficient difference between these new contestants for this to be worthwhile? Alternatives? ($200 - $400 retail)

Thanks in advance for your responses.

TC

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 5
Both the current top AKG's (601/701) and Ultrasone line (550/650/750) are notorious for the lengthy burn-in times. You may have judged too soon.

Aug 22, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 5
The only Ultrasone I've heard was the Edition 9 at a meet so I can't comment on them.

Burn in is not the only issue with the AKGs. If they are not driven well they sound exactly like you describe them, wimpy and lacking bass. They need a good amp. This is true with all of my K400, K500, K501, and K601. From what I've read, the K701 are the worst about wanting a good amp. What are you driving them with.

Aug 22, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I did the comparisons using the 'phone output from my Marantz SACD player and additional listening through my mSeed Spirit amp set for high output. The source for the mSeed was from my 80G iPod.

I realize there may have been a need for longer burn-in, but since I ran both sets at teh same time a good volume with straight pink noise from the Stereophile test CD, I felt they at least should have been on equal footing.

Bear in mind, each had their appeal, but both lacked something in different areas. By moving higher up the $$ chain, I hope to find an improvement in those gaps, if possible.

Thanks for the replies.

TC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back