AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 65th Anniversary | Comparison & Review
Mar 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #17 of 31
I also own both, and the first time I compared them, I thought, same sound. Even posted that to very lively responses, some not keen at all on my statement.

Then placebo effect set in, and I started looking for differences that weren't really there.

Thanks for making it very obvious. The Pads!

Yet, I remember the 65's having slightly more detail... dam placebo!

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #18 of 31
Some owners say the entire frequency spectrum is warmer, other's say only the bass is louder.

I wonder if, in addition to the memory foam pads, the drivers were tweaked by AKG to have more 'warmth'.

Is the following possible with headphone drivers?  I know that some of the best microphones (Neumann, AKG, etc) used a tube in their cylinders, so...

Like with additional low-order harmonics and very low levels of distortion to warm up the sound, like what an expensive high-quality tube amp (with it's tubes running in high voltage) should sound like - 'warm' due to mild tube overdrive and the resulting additional pleasing low-order harmonics and distortion.  I'm not talking about starved plate tube amps (cold/cool tube).  And by this type of distortion, I'm not referring to audible distortion, which usually sounds poor, but the good kind that you cannot hear, but will warm up an audio component.

Not sure if that makes any sense.  About 10 years ago, during the DIY guitar stompbox era, I made a few transistor-based overdrive pedals and remember trying different opamps which gave different tones, some very pleasing to the ear, but most were pretty bad.  I wasn't trying to achieve a heavy-metal distortion, but I was attempting to get a warmer clean guitar tone.

I guess I'm not too educated when it comes to speakers and headphones, but at least I know AKG didn't put opamps, tubes, or additional transistors in there to change the sound. 
wink.gif
  But then again, it probably is the pads. 
tongue.gif

Another thing about bass:

If you're listening live to a typical 6-string acoustic steel-string guitar, for example sitting across from the guitarist, you'll notice that the sound has plenty of bass.  Martin dreadnaughts are especially known for their powerful bass.  Taylor guitars are known for their crystalline shimmery trebles, but they still have a ton of bass.

For recording, the mics are placed usually very near the 'hole' of the guitar (soundhole) and sometimes for true-stereo, another mic will be placed up towards the neck, or further back to capture environmental ambience.

But what you hear on a recording is different.  It's been equalized and compressed to 'fit' better in the mix with the other instruments.  If it's a solo guitar recording, then you'll hear something more natural, but it'll most likely still be slightly eq'ed, with usually a reduction in low-frequencies and maybe a notch filter in the mids to smooth out the sound.  Also dynamic compression to also smooth out the transients so nothing is too quiet or too loud.

Anyway, what's my point?  Well, our 24bit/96kHz WAV recordings of my nylon and steel string guitars with the K702 65th Anniversaries and a DACport sound almost identical compared to the real thing - as in sitting a couple of feet in front of the guitarist.  This wasn't the case with the various closed 'studio' monitor headphones I've used or owned over the years, or with the dozens of mid-fi audio interfaces I've used (RME, MOTU, Roland, M-Audio, Native Instruments, Tascam, Echo Audio, etc).

Anyway, these headphones sound great.

Mar 18, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #19 of 31
Quote:
Some owners say the entire frequency spectrum is warmer, other's say only the bass is louder.

I wonder if, in addition to the memory foam pads, the drivers were tweaked by AKG to have more 'warmth'.

The initial owners were mentioning that it had more bass, which I think is probably why the "only the bass is louder" thing got started.

But I think most owners on the K702 anniversary thread have come to a consensus and agree that the whole thing is warmer. 

Apr 12, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #20 of 31
I've ordered the Annie to replace my beloved K702 and will very likely be selling those. I've seen a lot of people asking about ordering the Annie pads, but not too many asking about ordering the standard pads. Is there a place to do this or should I just contact AKG's support group?

Apr 12, 2013 at 6:23 PM Post #21 of 31
I've ordered the Annie to replace my beloved K702 and will very likely be selling those. I've seen a lot of people asking about ordering the Annie pads, but not too many asking about ordering the standard pads. Is there a place to do this or should I just contact AKG's support group?
Yes, you want to email Frank at AKG who is in charge of replacement parts. If you search in the anniversary thread for "Frank" you should see some posts with his contact info and the part number for the REGULAR pads.

Apr 23, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
  1. The actual soundstage size itself is very similar between the two. The main differences between them are: the size of the individual sounds, the weight of those sounds, and the amount of separation in-between those individual sounds. These things end up affecting your impressions of the soundstage.

1. Initially the weightier sound of the Anniversary pads can throw off your judgment of the soundstage size. Once you get more acclimated to the anniversary sound, you can listen "through" the weight a little better to the sound positions behind them, and they sound like they are actually coming from a similar place in the soundstage as the Qs. The individual sounds themselves are just bigger sounds and more grounded, and they take up a little bit more space inside the soundstage. Because of this, the Q701 can still give off the impression of having a little roomier soundstage - the sounds themselves are a little smaller and have more "personal space" around them in the soundstage. This extra space around the sounds gives them more distinct separation from each other. Smaller sounds themselves tend to sound farther away too. The anniversary sounds are bigger so less free space in-between the sounds. Having bigger sounds in the same space (soundstage size) means you don't quite get as clear a separation with them as on the Q701- sounds might start bumping into to each other sometimes.

I just went back and reread your review to see how it compared to my initial thoughts and found this part a bit confusing to me mainly because I did find the soundstage smaller when compared to the standard K702. I'm 100% positive this is due to my shortcomings and having not spent enough time with the Annie, so it's something I'm going to definitely try and zero in on. I would be in complete love with the Annie if I spent more time with it and was able to identify the larger soundstage. I'm just a person for depth and detail.

Apr 23, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #23 of 31
Quote:

I just went back and reread your review to see how it compared to my initial thoughts and found this part a bit confusing to me mainly because I did find the soundstage smaller when compared to the standard K702. I'm 100% positive this is due to my shortcomings and having not spent enough time with the Annie, so it's something I'm going to definitely try and zero in on. I would be in complete love with the Annie if I spent more time with it and was able to identify the larger soundstage. I'm just a person for depth and detail.

I'm basically saying the individual sounds with the Anniversary sound bigger, aka larger and they take up more space in the soundstage.  

So the anniversary soundstage can sound smaller as a result. 

Here's a visual example:
Imagine your playing a game and you've got four objects (let's say characters standing around you (represented by 1,2,3, and 4 - the "x" is your characters place in the game.)

Q701:  The individual sounds are smaller and thus have more room/space and separation around each other.  Can give the impression of a larger more open soundstage.

1      2
    x
3      4

Anniversary:  The individual sounds are larger and thus have less room/space and separation around each other.  Can give the impression of a more forward and intimate soundstage.

1   2
     x
3   4
(it's not the best example, because the text gets spaced out more when I resize it bigger, but hopefully you get the idea...
confused_face.gif
)

I'm not saying the Anniversary has equal soundstage size to the Q701.  I'm just saying it that your impression of the soundstage size is affected by a number of things, and that the underlying placement of objects in the soundstage is often very similar between the two at times.
There are more factors that affect the soundstage too, like the stronger treble air (Q701) vs. darker treble + blacker background of anniversaries.  How light or heavy the overall sound is also affects how your hear the soundstage size.

Here's another post where I try and explain it as well:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-4-22-13-stax-sr-407-added/12345#post_9264700

I would try gaming with just the Anniversary for a while then switch back to the other pads and see what you think.  The soundstage differences are less noticeable in gaming.  In stereo music, the anniversary is more noticeably intimate.

Apr 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #24 of 31
Yeah, that makes sense to me. I'll try that and see if I can pick up on the intricacies you're pointing out.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #25 of 31
I have owned both, and I definitely like the K702 Annie more than the Q701. That's not to say the Q701 isn't great. It's an analytical headphone with musicality, but the Anni has even more musicality, and has that added mid bass punch and more intimate sound I was used to with the K240 MKII. The earpads are also much nicer on the Anni and the headband is better without the bumps. I also really like the gray and electric blue motif a lot. The Annis are what Senns OUGHT to sound like. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #26 of 31
You know what I find hypocritical and ironic? People who bitch and complain about the pads not being enough to justify a purchase. Some of these people would spend HUNDREDS of dollars on aftermarket cables, which would do a LOT less to the sound than the obvious diffferences the pads do to these cans.

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #27 of 31

AKG Q701 Vs. AKG K702 65th Anniversary | Comparison & Review

If you do like both, the good news is that you don't have to own to different pairs to get both sounds. If you own both pads, you will "own" both sounds No need to keep two headphones around. You can mod a Q701 (and possibly some other recent AKG x70x) into having the anniversary sound by just getting a hold of their pads. I've fallen in love with both of their sounds. For those who feel the same way as me, there's nothing wrong with keeping a set of each pad around.

Because I was able to get the K702 anniversary at good price (and because I prefer the aesthetics and headband on it over the Q701), I decided to sell my beloved Q701s and keep the Anniversaries as my main headphone. That's saying something, because my Q701s have been my favorite headphone since the day I got them and have come out on top against a fair amount of other impressive headphones.  So selling them was an emotional event for me
frown.gif

I wasn't about to give up their sound though, so I immediately went and ordered a pair of Q701 pads from AKGs.  My Q701s will live on vicariously through the K702 Anniversaries
evil_smiley.gif

Do you think it's possible to also switch the headband? The Q701 is half the price of the 25th anniversary on amazon right now. The bumps tend to bother me, from when I've tried them on.

Aug 18, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Do you think it's possible to also switch the headband? The Q701 is half the price of the 25th anniversary on amazon right now. The bumps tend to bother me, from when I've tried them on.

You can try this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/675281/k701-headband-mod

K601 headband can still be purchased. The K712 and Anniversary headbands are probably impossible to buy unless you want to wait weeks or months.

WOW. Just noticed the price..$87 for a headband.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

I think you can send it to AKG and they can switch it for you.  You have to pay for the headband of course. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #30 of 31

You can try this:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/675281/k701-headband-mod

K601 headband can still be purchased. The K712 and Anniversary headbands are probably impossible to buy unless you want to wait weeks or months.

WOW. Just noticed the price..$87 for a headband.

Geez. $87 for a headband and $47 for the pads. That's almost the price difference between a Q701 and a K702 anniversary. I'm glad it can be done but from reading that link it looks tricky & the parts are so expensive the risk of breaking it doesn[t seem worth the $50 savings over just buying the K702 aniv. I guess I'll just wait for the K702 65th aniv to drop in price

Users who are viewing this thread

Back