AKG Q701 Simple Mod Increase Bass and Decrease Soundstage a little
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #16 of 23
I tried the mod and didn't like it; I used just one piece of cloth instead of two.  While you do get more bass, the mids become to pronounced and muddy in my opinion.  Furthermore sacrificing soundstage is taking away this particular headphones greatest strength.  The stock bass while not head rattling as still accurate and pleasing as is.  In summary I feel like this mod makes the headphones sound like they are suffocating.  I think you would just be better off having a second pair of closed back headphones for times when you want that sort of thing.  Still even so this was a clever mod and applaud your attempt to improve this wonderful set of cans.

I got that same result with Viva Paper Towel. Strangely enough it sounded great with my ODAC, but when used with my portable setup it was AWFUL. Totally muffled for some strange reason.
It was Airhead from Clip+. I think both of those are fairly warm or close.

Dec 4, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #17 of 23
I crammed some pink foam under my little removable silver circle domes as described in your post.

I absolutely noticed a decrease in "spaciousness" and a nice flattening of the mids which brings a certain "presence" to the front, more like speakers I am familiar with.

I'll have to sit with this for a while, it's only been 15 minutes.  I wish I could have both sounds but I'll have to choose just one.  This new sound certainly sounds better with heavy rock and roll, and I like the way the brightness is coming through, almost like a closed back 'phone.

Either way, I am floored by the K702.  Best headphones I've ever personally heard.

Dec 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #18 of 23
I went back in and used a thinner piece of foam in my K702--a little goes a long way.  I used about what the Q701 stock foam circle looks like in pictures.  Sound is a little tighter now than with no dampening, but still a bit spacious with a little more of those stock mids, compared to using a very thick absorber.  Think I'm good for now.

Jan 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #19 of 23
Heres a question for you guys, there is a bass mod for the K701 that involves removing a sticker on the bass port on the back of the driver, that opens it up and allows for the bass to sound deeper. But this thread is talking about leaving that sticker and adding cloth to the front of the black Q cover. Why are Q and K owners doing different mods? I think I seen somewhere that some Q owners didnt have their sticker covering the bass port on the driver.

I went ahead and just removed sticker I had and I have to say the sound did improve a little but it made my right side driver rattle worse. Im going to put some more hours into the headphones and hope that the rattle goes away, some have reported that more hours fixes the rattle. Fingers crossed. 

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #20 of 23
I love this mod man, it's super easy and the results are excellent. If I had to describe the sound after the mod, I'd say it sounds A LOT like a DT990 with less sharp treble. I don't know why they don't sell them this way. 

OP, thanks for revealing this.

Jan 29, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #22 of 23
Glad some of you guys enjoyed this minor mod to the AKG 701/702 headphones.

My White colored AKG Q701 purchased back in earl 2012 had a serial # 08800 and was Made in Austria..

I recently purchased another pair of AKG Q701s with serial # 18034 and Made in China..

Reverting my old Austrian made Q701s back to stock, and compared to my new pair Chinese Q701s, the SOUND IS QUITE DIFFERENT...

I am thinking they must have modified the drivers.

The Chinese Q701s straight plugged into my iPod Touch 5G, I get a much warmer sound with quite tight bass, and great bass extension. The clarity is also pretty good without an amp nor DAC

The Austrian Q701s straight plugged into my iPod Touch 5G, the sound is much more sterile, and the bass is not as extended nor tight, and the clarity suffered as well... UNLESS I used a DAC/Amp combo (FIIO)

THOUGH, on both the Q701 boxes, the written impedance are the same, but for some reason, the newer Q701s (with serial # above 15000) seems to not require as much equipment to make it sound good for laid back music listening...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back