AKG(Q) 701 and 702 + Amping
May 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shikarikato

New Head-Fier
So I would believe that the AKG(Q) 701, 702 are up to my personal preference. Is there any difference between the 701, Q701, and 702? To what I've read the 701 and 702 are just colors and i'm not entirely sure about the Quincy Jones edition. I was looking at buying a Schiit Modi/Magni Combo but can the Magni amp those headphones properly if anyone has experience with it? The removal cable between the 702 and Q701 seems pretty appealing though. Any ideas + thoughts on the topic?

May 11, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 5
Not sure about the differences, but I know that there are comparison reviews here on head fi that will answer your question, as for the Schiit, it should have no problem with those headphones.

I do recommend you search around the forum before posting.

May 11, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 5
As I write I'm listening to Charles Mingus Ah Um original LP on my K702s, driven with Ray Samuels Raptor tube amp ($1250.00). I've had this set up for over two years and I have yet to hear a better match between cans and amp. The sound is totally alive and gorgeous! It's like listening to a $100,000+ speaker based system, I'm not kidding. It helps to have an awesome front end, whether analog or digital.

I don't believe there is any sonic difference between the 701 and 702... Not sure about the Quincy edition.

May 12, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 5
I suppose rather than making another thread I'll add onto this. What should you prioritize DAC or AMP? Such as grabbing an Asgard 2 with a Modi or a Magni with a Bitfrost. Or really any DAC/AMP I'm just using Schiit as a convenient example. All of this is in reference of the K702s.

May 14, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 5
Mostly
I suppose rather than making another thread I'll add onto this. What should you prioritize DAC or AMP? Such as grabbing an Asgard 2 with a Modi or a Magni with a Bitfrost. Or really any DAC/AMP I'm just using Schiit as a convenient example. All of this is in reference of the K702s.
mostly depends on source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back