AKG or Senn? K601 or HD580?
Feb 2, 2007 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

stevodotorg

100+ Head-Fier
Simple really, still haven't bought my cans, I love the comfort and fit of AKG's, but..

K601's or HD580's?

or would it be better to ask K601's or HD600's?

hope to get some quality input, thanks everyone
580smile.gif

EDIT: How about any Beyerdynamic headphones, any of them compare to the K601's or the HD580/600's?
(the Beyerdynamic cans do look comfy)

Feb 2, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #3 of 23
I would go for the HD580s, they perform just as well as the K601s and are much cheaper!! Actually I would prefer the HD580s for their fuller sound alone, If you want more refinement, go with a HD600, it sounds exactly the same as the HD580 but will give you less ear fatigue, strange I know, but it has been my experience. the HD600s are still regarded as one of the most acurate reference phones available, even more so than the HD650. If you want bright highs and a more recessed mid presentation with a deeper reach in bass, then I would recommend the K601s.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 23
As mentioned it's really necessary to hear both to know. Since you asked about other models, I'll say I thought the difference between the K601 and K701 was greater than the difference between the HD580 and the HD600 or HD650. Since I think the K701 and HD650 are comparable, you can guess what I'd personally pick moving down. You should order the Senns from somewhere you can return and test yourself against your K601. And yes the AKG are more comfy.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by goorackerelite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want bright highs and a more recessed mid presentation with a deeper reach in bass, then I would recommend the K601s.

I don't know about the recessed mids part. At least for me the mids with K601 were so strong they gave me too much fatigue. I can't listen to them at all because of that.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #9 of 23
One thing I have noticed about the Senn Cans is that you can replace the cables with ease if wanted, Not that I am any rush to do so any time soon, but just throwing that out there. I still am an AKG fan, wish I could hear both myself one after another, Maybe I can buy, try, and return the 580's like one of you stated.

How is soundstage between the two? and how about comfort on the Senns?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #10 of 23
I haven't heard the HD580 specifically but have heard the HD600 and HD650, which share the same physical design. A rather stiff, hard plastic frame, that's not very conducive to bending on the headband. I'm not sure exactly what makes it uncomfortable for certain people, maybe the fact it's not very flexible for larger heads? The K601 uses a self-adjusting leather headband which as you might imagine, is extremely flexible. Both of them have velour earpads, but the K601 has more internal padding, making it feel a bit thicker.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 23
I do not own a k601s but have listened to it for a few hours, gave me ringing ears, maybe it's because I associate ringing ears with bright highs (well... brighter highs than the HD600) I have not cared for them that much, it's a biased opinion
wink.gif
I'll still take the Sennheisers any day.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the HD580 specifically but have heard the HD600 and HD650, which share the same physical design. A rather stiff, hard plastic frame, that's not very conducive to bending on the headband. I'm not sure exactly what makes it uncomfortable for certain people, maybe the fact it's not very flexible for larger heads? The K601 uses a self-adjusting leather headband which as you might imagine, is extremely flexible. The earpads are also velour whereas the Senns use foam.

I actually have a pair of k240's, as you can see, that is actually me on my avatar, and a silly photo at that haha. But I hear ya on the comfort portion of AKG's.. they really know what they are doing when it comes to that headband
wink.gif

I like the idea of maybe ordering both cans, judge myself, then sell one.

I gotta say by the way, very impressive review of the 3 AKG cans. A 1 month burn in, that is just flat out dedication to the Head-Fi community
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing to keep in mind is amping. Sennheiser HD 580/600/650s are one of the most demanding headphones, so if you're using a low-end amp, K601 can have an advantage.

Very interesting, I will most definitely have to look into that (I do still need to buy an amp)
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back