AKG News
Dec 7, 2003 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Anders

1000+ Head-Fier
I was looking for a secondary (or rather tertiary) headphone to use for really bad and harsh recordings. These can contain great music so I was looking for something warm and not too detailed. Have seen the new K301 Xtra described so.
I found that AKG has made some changes in the model line. Some are discontinued as the old K301, K270 and K401.
K501 and K1000 are still in the catalogue. This infomation was collected from the AKG homepage.

The new model K301 Xtra has the Varimotion diaphragm technology used in the more expensive models, impedance is decreased from 120 to 55 ohm and sensitivity seems to be increased but they use differents specs for the old and new model. Anyway sensitivity is speced as 102 dBV.
The headphone is blue and has a 3 m cord made of 99.99 % oxygen-free copper with mini and 1/4 jacks.
Price seems to be around 130 Euro.

Dec 7, 2003 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 17
They have launched many headphones in short time now. But nothing in my interest. Maybe the new AKG Hearo 999 audiosphere mkII...
The K301 xtra is probably very nice for the money though. Maybe there will be a K501 xtra! That would be cool!
I hope that they release some new real high-end headphones soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a pic of K301 xtra

K-301-XTRA.jpg

Dec 7, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 17
mmmm, that is purty. A 501 version would be VERY tempting!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 17
I'll wait until I see a frequency response curve. From what I remember the old K301 wasn't exactly flat in the midrange.

Dec 7, 2003 at 12:00 PM Post #7 of 17
I don't know, those sort of look like a prop from a bad fifties sci-fi movie, hope they sound better than they look!

Dec 7, 2003 at 1:29 PM Post #8 of 17
I already posted about those. (amplification forum)

Quote:

There were not other interesting headphones stuff at the show. AKG was there but all the cans played out a studio distribution amp and a portable ****ty player. I tried the new K301XTRA. It has the same system of drivers than the K401/501 now (varimoton). Official price : 129€. Compared to the K240S (149€), it lacks body and weight in the sound. It's clearly more bright too.

Btw, do not expect a new high end AKG, the K301XTRA is using the same technology as the 501. A K501XTRA is a nonsense since i't's already using the varimoton system.

The akg representative was shocked when I told him how much better the K240s were and how much I liked the K340 compared to the K501
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 17
OK, you guys convinced me; these must blow after all! Score one for the wallet!
tongue.gif

Dec 7, 2003 at 8:13 PM Post #11 of 17
I don't think anyone has to worry about the wallet for this headphone. It is extremely unlikely that it can compete with the best headphones. I considered it as a possible additional headphone for albums with really bad recording quality where a more permissive presentation can be of value. If it is a little less detailed and warmer than the top headphones but still with a decent frequency balance. As described in the magazine review I read. Of course, this remains to be explored.
That it is lacking in bass weight and brighter compared to K240S is something I regard as a positive indication.

Other suggestions for this kind of headphone are welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back