AKG N700NC Wireless Over-Ear
May 16, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #46 of 62
So, how are we certain that it's the closest experience to the Harman target one can have :D ?
Oh, it’s not the closest of course. Pay 4K and you have the Stealth. OR pay 50k and buy yourself the closest to harman (Sennheiser HE-1).
That being said, I got the AKG for 80 Euros new. It’s a steal.

May 16, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #47 of 62
For best (and Harman correct sound) N700 has to be heard with the cable and ANC on.
I have been looking for something with single-sided cable entry (less cumbersome at my desk) and this quality and type of sound. Can I ask:
  • Is yours the N700NC or the N700NCM2?
  • For avoidance of doubt – when you say with the cable on, you mean an analog cable, not USB, right?

May 16, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #48 of 62
I have been looking for something with single-sided cable entry (less cumbersome at my desk) and this quality and type of sound. Can I ask:
  • Is yours the N700NC or the N700NCM2?
  • For avoidance of doubt – when you say with the cable on, you mean an analog cable, not USB, right?
Hi, yes I am indeed speaking of the M2 version!

And yes, With cable I meant the analogue 3.5mm cable.

May 16, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #49 of 62
Oh, it’s not the closest of course. Pay 4K and you have the Stealth. OR pay 50k and buy yourself the closest to harman (Sennheiser HE-1).
That being said, I got the AKG for 80 Euros new. It’s a steal.

Mmmm but is it really, once it's on your own head, the closest to the actual Harman target ?

I've owned quite a few HPs from Harman and equalised others to the Harman target and all I can say is that I don't fully know what the Harman target is supposed to sound like : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-noise-cancelling-headphone.25609/post-995729

My apologies if I'm a little bit annoying here :D. But one thing I can say quite categorically is that the N700NCM2, regardless of the method I use to estimate what the Harman target is supposed to measure like with in-ear mics on my head, is not that close to it.

May 17, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #50 of 62
Well I guess I can only trust my ears. I once had the dead neutral InEar PP8 in my possession. They were the best IEMs I have ever heard (and I listened to quite a lot flagship IEMs back then). And now I would say, that the AKG comes close to its sound for 80 bucks. That’s all I am saying :wink:

May 22, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #51 of 62
Noise canceling would be nice, but I’ve been enjoying this.
FA4CE9B7-E1F5-4F37-AE4D-675C4FBC38B4.jpeg

May 23, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #54 of 62
I think you’re in the wrong thread. That being said, what’s that device?
It’s an AKG K371 with a Qudelix 5K Bluetooth receiver attached to it.

I came here seeing what people had to say about the N700NC which should sound sort of similar to the 371. I kind of want to try the N700NC, but I doubt they will sound quite as good as the 371, especially with the EQ I am doing to it, although very minor.

May 23, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #56 of 62
I came here seeing what people had to say about the N700NC which should sound sort of similar to the 371.

They don't :D. The difference that I experience on head, as measured with in-ear mics, with several samples of the K371 and two of the N700NCM2, is larger than what graphs on ear simulator would suggest, for several reasons (not just leakage but coupling in general).

Both of them sound somewhat decent (at least some effort was made to reach a target), but I would not consider them as good platforms to know what the Harman target is supposed to sound like.

I kind of want to try the N700NC, but I doubt they will sound quite as good as the 371, especially with the EQ I am doing to it, although very minor.

A significant advantage the N700NC(M2) holds over the K371 is the use of an active feedback system to - theoretically - deliver a constant FR in the range where it operates regardless of leakage / seal issues, which is something the K371's design is very susceptible to (more or less so depending on the user's anatomy and the state of the pads).
It isn't quite as robust / sophisticated as what Bose or Apple do, but the response I experience with mines is a lot more consistent than the K371 either with positional variation or between the two channels.

Just as signifiant an advantage your solution has is the Qudelix's PEQ :D. The N700NCM2's app EQ, while seemingly giving lots of flexibility, may limit the maximum slope of the correction I believe. I was never able to correct to satisfaction the 800-4kHz range because of it.

May 23, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #57 of 62
They don't :D. The difference that I experience on head, as measured with in-ear mics, with several samples of the K371 and two of the N700NCM2, is larger than what graphs on ear simulator would suggest, for several reasons (not just leakage but coupling in general).

Both of them sound somewhat decent (at least some effort was made to reach a target), but I would not consider them as good platforms to know what the Harman target is supposed to sound like.

A significant advantage the N700NC(M2) holds over the K371 is the use of an active feedback system to - theoretically - deliver a constant FR in the range where it operates regardless of leakage / seal issues, which is something the K371's design is very susceptible to (more or less so depending on the user's anatomy and the state of the pads).
It isn't quite as robust / sophisticated as what Bose or Apple do, but the response I experience with mines is a lot more consistent than the K371 either with positional variation or between the two channels.

Just as signifiant an advantage your solution has is the Qudelix's PEQ :D. The N700NCM2's app EQ, while seemingly giving lots of flexibility, may limit the maximum slope of the correction I believe. I was never able to correct to satisfaction the 800-4kHz range because of it.
I love my K371 and I’ve been able to get a consistent seal with them. With some very minor EQ I’ve gotten them to sound very very good to my ears.

Jul 10, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #58 of 62
Does anyone have experience swapping pads on the N700NC M2, and if so, what pads do you know of that fit on these headphones? The pad openings of the original pads are too small for me. Thank you in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back