AKG N700NC Wireless Over-Ear
Sep 11, 2018 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

Blinxat

500+ Head-Fier
Looks like AKG is coming for that Sony 1000XM3, Bose QC35, Beats Studio market:

AKG-N700NC-Wireless_Product-Image_Hero-1605x1605px.png

Will be interesting to see how it performs. No word on codecs though, or even driver diameter, type etc.. :frowning2:

Sep 11, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 62
Sep 18, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 62
Found this little tidbit as well in the Q&A section of their product page. Why AKG? WHY?

Hi AKG, which Bluetooth codecs are supported? Current documentation does not specify. Do they support more advanced codecs like AAC, APTX, APTX HD or even Samsung HD? Or are they limited to SBC?
1answer

1. · 7 days ago

The AKG N700 supports the standard SBC only.It does not support AptX or AAC codecs.

that's sad. Actually, I was waiting for this to come out and choosing between these and wh1000xm3.
I have the N60nc Wireless and was having high hopes on these until I saw this...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 62
I think that just can't be right. That would be a regression from both N60NC and K845BT. I've just had K845BT on AptX, and right now I'm on N60NC with AAC. I'm inclined to suspect there's internal miscommunication about the final specs, or the specs aren't final.

Oct 4, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 62
I think that just can't be right. That would be a regression from both N60NC and K845BT. I've just had K845BT on AptX, and right now I'm on N60NC with AAC. I'm inclined to suspect there's internal miscommunication about the final specs, or the specs aren't final.
Yeah, it seems odd that such a new headphone wouldn't more codecs, and AKG owned by Samsung. It probably supports more codecs.

It would be sad if the headphone doesn't support at least AAC or the website providing incorrect unformation. Sad either way.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 62
Found this little tidbit as well in the Q&A section of their product page. Why AKG? WHY?

Hi AKG, which Bluetooth codecs are supported? Current documentation does not specify. Do they support more advanced codecs like AAC, APTX, APTX HD or even Samsung HD? Or are they limited to SBC?
1answer

1. · 7 days ago

The AKG N700 supports the standard SBC only.It does not support AptX or AAC codecs.

When I posted that question in the AKG boards, I was disappointed in the reps answer.

The good thing is... The rep was probably wrong. I bought these anyway. And while they don't appear to support aptx (in any variety) I can pretty much confirm that they do support AAC.
I tried a Huawei P20 Pro with them and the Huawei clearly indicates AAC as the connection. Toggling to SBC changes the sound and the phone indicates SBC as the connection. Toggling back to AAC, a slight pause in sound and reconnects and indicates AAC. Toggling to any other codec (aptx, LDAC) produces no change and the currently selected codec (SBC, AAC) remains unchanged. This is standard behaviour for the Huawei when toggling Bluetooth codecs on the same headphone.
So it appears the N700nc do in fact support AAC.

Nov 19, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #10 of 62
When I posted that question in the AKG boards, I was disappointed in the reps answer.

The good thing is... The rep was probably wrong. I bought these anyway. And while they don't appear to support aptx (in any variety) I can pretty much confirm that they do support AAC.
I tried a Huawei P20 Pro with them and the Huawei clearly indicates AAC as the connection. Toggling to SBC changes the sound and the phone indicates SBC as the connection. Toggling back to AAC, a slight pause in sound and reconnects and indicates AAC. Toggling to any other codec (aptx, LDAC) produces no change and the currently selected codec (SBC, AAC) remains unchanged. This is standard behaviour for the Huawei when toggling Bluetooth codecs on the same headphone.
So it appears the N700nc do in fact support AAC.

Thats good to hear. Thanks.

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #11 of 62
I bought these as well and can confirm AAC support. Have to say I really like the headphone. It offers almost as good ANC as Sony and has a very good balanced signature. The app from AKG is a bit basic but does work and I find the EQ pretty decent for tweaking the headphone signature if needed.

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #13 of 62
Thanks very much for that very helpful review!

How small does it fold up? I haven't really gotten a sense of that yet. Obviously it's not small, but could it, for example, fit into the pocket of a winter parka?

Also I'm curious what you think about the color. I've noticed that AKG's product shots consistently make it look like a dark grey, while it's described as silver and your photos certainly make it look like silver. It's as if someone decided to build it in silver and the marketing or art director said no no no we have to make this look darker... (And TBH I'm inclined to agree with that art director. I have enough silver atop my head already.)

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 62
Definitely more on the silver side than dark grey. I am a traditional guy so prefer black but this is a pretty nice color in my opinion.

I hear you about enough silver on our heads LOL.

The case is a bit big so it would have to be a large parka. But I guess you could carry it out of the case in a large parka too. I have added a picture of the case and the case with the headphones folded in it to the review.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back