AKG N700NC Wireless Over-Ear
May 19, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #31 of 62
Just a heads up that Harman has released the JBL Tour One which for all intents and purposes seem to be the spiritual successor to the AKG N700NC(M2) and possibly the Y600NC :
https://uk.jbl.com/noise-cancelling-headphones/JBLTOURONEBLK.html

It's starting to arrive in stock and I received a pair today.
not as elegant as akg lol, was looking at plantronics backbeat 2 also, but again, not pretty either lol, i think m2 is best, when you know how previous AKG sounds (tried akg 550 too, liked it, but was exploring for more, so got rid of them)

May 21, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #32 of 62
Damn got ncm2 just today, bass is addictive, sounds like it's busy all the time, when you need to charge headphones and stop music, you don't really want to. A really good purchase, glad i don't know how ncm1 sounds, money saved (lol!) , i say a steal, hundred times more comfortable than akg y50bt, sound similar, but ncm2 so addictive, just feels like I could listen to ncm2 very long sessions, while y50bt makes ears hurt

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #33 of 62
Picked up the N700NC M2 and I have to say it's an excellent value now that it can easily be found for less than $100 new on eBay. It doesn't have amazing resolution, but it doesn't suffer at all from the artificial timbre or wonky tonality that most ANC headphones I've tried do. Recently tried out Yamaha's new ANC cans, the YH-L700A, and they have better ANC and some neat tricks up their sleeves, a little more resolving too, but they just don't sound as natural and balanced as these, and those are $500.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #34 of 62
Picked up the N700NC M2 and I have to say it's an excellent value now that it can easily be found for less than $100 new on eBay. It doesn't have amazing resolution, but it doesn't suffer at all from the artificial timbre or wonky tonality that most ANC headphones I've tried do. Recently tried out Yamaha's new ANC cans, the YH-L700A, and they have better ANC and some neat tricks up their sleeves, a little more resolving too, but they just don't sound as natural and balanced as these, and those are $500.
How's the mic on the N700NC M2 – can you sound clear and natural on a call?

Oct 6, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #35 of 62

Haven't had a chance to test. I'll try to give it a test tonight and report back

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #36 of 62

Just to follow-up, I did a test call with my wife when I was outside with some wind and traffic in the background and she said I was understandable and fairly clear. She could tell I was talking on a headset but background noise wasn't a problem and she could understand me

Oct 7, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #37 of 62
Just to follow-up, I did a test call with my wife when I was outside with some wind and traffic in the background and she said I was understandable and fairly clear. She could tell I was talking on a headset but background noise wasn't a problem and she could understand me
Thanks! That's very helpful.

May 15, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #39 of 62
I recently got these, and my initial impression wasn't so enthusiastic. For my primary ANC headphone I use Sony WH-XM3, and tonally, it's quite different in the highs. Highs are a bit muted in the Sony, and the N700 sounds almost similr to K371 when it comes to having upper-mids emphasized response.

IMO, neither are better. It's because Sony has a more open sound due to more laid back highs, but also LDAC codec if using a quality transmitter, you can get more realistic intricacies in the sound. The problem is, the upper-mids are fairly shallow relative to the thick lower-mids and highly shelved bass. But overall, It works good for movies and games. Not so much for music.

Since N700 focuses on the thighs, the highs pop with music, and it seems to enhance the sound when it comes to music. Bass does seem to be an improvement over the XM3, but not by a whole lot. XM3's mistake is in the lower-mids mostly. It can sound too thick in some instances.

In general, N700 sounds like it was tuned for vocal range focus. Thus, it will either give impression of crisp or too forward highs.

The thing I didn't like about N700 initially was narrow sounding, nasally quality when I was watching regular dialog Youtube vids, movies, or games. XM3 sound more detailed and natural in this regard, but N700 does make music sound more crisp and interesting. This may partially be a streaming quality issue since I can only connect SBC quality with my transmitter. I have no idea how to get AAC. With Sony I can set the mode to LDAC, but not with the N700.

It can be said the N700 is more detaailedd becaause highs are more forward, but it's not that simple. I can say N700 sound more crisp, but not truly more detailed in terms of nuances in the sound. This mainly applies in music.

XM3 and N700 has such contrast in responses that direct swapping for comparison will give too contrasting of impressions. In such instance, you'd have to give time for ear to adjust each headphone, which is also bad for accurate impressions.

As far as ANC, N700 is decent, but not on the level of XM3. WHXM series is the best noise canceling I've ever heard, and I like the weight and comfort for travel and general wireless usage with TV, etc.. N700 isn't quite as light, and it has a bit of clamping force I don't like so much, but build quality in terms of durability is better. The material is not plastic like XM3. But, I generally prefer light weight. I don't break stuff so easily even if it's plastic, especially headphones. I'm not some field worker work in heavy equipment or working out in the field with the wireless headphones.

The new XM5 is out, and I hope Sony has addressed the issues I have with the old XM headphone when it comes to sound.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #40 of 62
For best (and Harman correct sound) N700 has to be heard with the cable and ANC on. All other choices result in a FR that is off (too much bass).
But with cable and ANC on, this is a reference headphone. I sold my Focal Stellia after hearing these. Not that the AKG is „better“ than the 3k Stellia. BUT they are really close. Now considering I get an ANC in addition as well as I can use them with my glasses on (I could not listen to the Stellia with glasses on because of the lost bass frequencies) this AKG is a steal of a headphone. As said, with Bluetooth it’s not listenable for me. Also with cable and ANC off it has way too much bass. But with cable and ANC on this headphone is spot on when you want a phone that follows the harman curve (with just a slight touch more bass than harman).
They just sound „right“ (Talking about studio reference).

May 15, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #41 of 62
Why not just go for K371 then? Why go for BT headphone.? I got better wired headphones, and have no need. Wireless and ANC is important for my needs. Tonally even, these are nothing remarkable.

If you think Stellia is close. That just means Stellia is a rip-off lol

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #42 of 62
For best (and Harman correct sound) N700 has to be heard with the cable and ANC on. All other choices result in a FR that is off (too much bass).
Also with cable and ANC off it has way too much bass. But with cable and ANC on this headphone is spot on when you want a phone that follows the harman curve (with just a slight touch more bass than harman).

Are there measurements available for these that show a difference between bluetooth with ANC on and wired with ANC on ?

May 15, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #43 of 62
After 11 months this last month I started listening to n700nc m2 only via cable, and boy it sounds better than via BT, once you use a good source

Users who are viewing this thread

Back