AKG N5005 3.5mm MMCX cable - compatible with non-AKG IEMs?
Oct 18, 2023 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

antobag

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a pair of Final E4000 IEMs which have treated me well over the years. The only issue - I can't use them for calls because their stock MMCX cable doesn't come with a microphone. Having them plugged into the USB-C port of my phone (using a Tempotec Sonata HD II mini DAC/AMP dongle) results in the phone's microphone being muted. I've tried a number of fixes but I think the only solution is to swap out the MMCX cable for another one that includes a microphone - preferably an in-line one.

I'd like to buy a good quality cable that will last more than a few months without having connection/balance issues. I've heard good things about the AKG N5005, and could purchase the 3.5mm MMCX cable by itself.

However, I've read that the N5005 IEMs don't fit standard MMCX cables (see https://www.head-fi.org/threads/akgs-new-flagship-iem-n5005.869344/page-73). Do any of you know if the reverse also true, i.e., does the N5005 MMCX cable not fit other IEMs? I wouldn't want to go ahead with a purchase only to find out that the cable doesn't fit my Final E4000 IEMs.

I guess the only way someone could know this is by having the N5005 cable and trying it out with a pair of non-AKG IEMs. On the off-chance that any of you are able to do that, I'd be eternally grateful.

Many thanks for your time.

Oct 22, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Just to follow up on this - I guess a question that's potentially more answerable is: I assume that all cables designated as "MMCX" have to be compatible with MMCX-type IEMs as standard?

Oct 22, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #3 of 5
You'd think that a standard like MMCX or 2-pin would be as "universal" as USB. Unfortunately, no.

Manufacturers like to be clever and do things like making connections recessed or doing other proprietary nonsense with housings. It's my one gripe with my Etymotic ER3XR IEMs.

But if you search Amazon or Aliexpress for "brandname model cable" you can usually find "compatible with" cables that fit your brand. Unfortunately, mic quality is never a given either.

First thing I'd do is contact Final. Ask if they are really no-tricks standard MMCX -- though if they're flush with the surface of the IEM they probably are -- and ask what they recommend as a replacement cable that has a mic. Final seems like the kind of company that would want to maintain an audiophile reputation.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 5
Just to follow up on this - I guess a question that's potentially more answerable is: I assume that all cables designated as "MMCX" have to be compatible with MMCX-type IEMs as standard?
N5005 shares a different story here. It uses a MMCX connector with a longer base flange. The female connector on the earphone body is somewhat more "recessed" into the body. Normal MMCX cable is not compatible with N5005. If you buy 3rd party cables, you will notice that they will provide a special option of "N5005 MMCX" or simply "N5005" with the normal "MMCX" option as well. Although normal MMCX cable is not compatible with N5005, reversely, N5005's stock cable (one with mic, you need) does compatible with Final E4k. Final uses normal MMCX (judging from my A8k and online photos). However, if you use N5005 stock with E4k, other than you'll notice that on the cable side (male) of the connector, more/longer "golden" base will be exposed than using it on N5005, you will also change E4k's angle from straight wear to over-the-ear-wear, which may or may not affect original sound. Judging from the construction of E4k, I suppose there should be no different at all but it's not guaranteed.

Nov 7, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for the detailed responses here - this was really helpful. I ended up getting the N5005 cable.

Just to confirm, as @mmxshhfpl noted, the N5005 cable is indeed compatible with the E4k. It does indeed change the angle to over-the-ear wear, but thankfully that's how I like to wear them anyway. The cable and the in-line mic work perfectly.

Really appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back