AKG N40
Jan 30, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #196 of 311
I'm thinking of trying a new cable with my N40s. Given how much of a difference it made to my BGVP DM6 IEMs, it's worth giving it a go. Do you have details of the cable you bought? I could try my aftermarket cable that I bought for the DM6 as a start.
I use the ibasso CB13 cable, but I believe that any silverplated occ cable of around 50-100$ will do the job. Although cables really make a difference, I dont think its reasonable to spend more than 100$ on it for some middle-priced IEM.
And dont forget to check the Final Audio eartips, they are really nice - made the bass punchier and took the mids slightly more forward - which made the vocals and some instruments shine.

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #198 of 311
Can anyone let me know what this means in the description for these:

"...hybrid acoustic solution of dynamic + balanced armature drivers"

Does this relate to whether you're using standard or balanced cable/connection? Or does it not relate and I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks.

Feb 10, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #199 of 311
Can anyone let me know what this means in the description for these:

"...hybrid acoustic solution of dynamic + balanced armature drivers"

Does this relate to whether you're using standard or balanced cable/connection? Or does it not relate and I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks.

It does not relate to the cable.

It relates to the things inside the earpieces that produce sound. The AKG N40 has a balanced armature and a dynamic driver in each earpiece. The former produces sound in a different way compared to a dynamic driver (which is typical of what a loudspeaker uses). Both have pros and cons.

Apr 18, 2019 at 11:53 AM Post #200 of 311
Just contacted AKG (UK), and asked if there is a balanced cable solution for the N40. (They do sell spare single ended (in-line remote) cables for the N40, on their website.) However no luck. They tried using the balanced cable from the N5005, while I was on the phone, but no joy.

• It's easy enough to find balanced cables online. The tricky part is finding one that isn't bright or dark.
  • Then also the original AKG cables hook over the top of the ear, which I find convenient. I cannot find any balanced cables in MMCX that are like that, online.
Anyway, I asked them if they could make some balanced cables for the N40, and sell them. They said OK about putting the idea forward.

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #201 of 311
If I bought a balanced cable for N40, then most likely it wouldn't have the over-ear cable-shaping. Are there any kind of cable shapers that you can buy for making cable run over ear. I googled but I get results that are not relevant.

I am probably going overboard with this, as I think folk run normal cables over ear. However I really appreciate the AKG N40 cabling.

Apr 22, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #202 of 311
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #203 of 311
Sennheiser, Phonak Audio (back in the day) and many Chinese options for cableguides are available. The ones for the Sennheiser IE 80 are bendable. Is that what your looking for?

Sample:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-SENN...725128?hash=item3d7fb75048:g:sJ0AAOSws~VcO1qq

Yeah, that's the kind of thing. Wasn't thinking metal, and they are for a particular gauge cable. Might work though.

It has made me google cable ear-loop though, and that is getting results.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #204 of 311
Ear guide / Ear hook etc.
Indeed, you need one that fit's the cable. The Sennheiser ones only fit a thin cable.
Good luck! :ksc75smile:

May 7, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #205 of 311
If anyone in the UK is considering the AKG N40 purchase, right now is an excellent time. They are on sale at Richer Sounds, for £149.

I bought a second pair for back-up, in case mine break or I lose them. I always meant to buy a second pair anyway, because I like mine so much. I would not like to be without a pair of N40. Well, not until AKG come up with another model.

I also have use for two pairs anyway. One pair on my DAP. One pair on my DAC that stays at home.

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #206 of 311
Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #207 of 311
Beware that the FiiO LC-2.5B does not fit the N40 properly. The connector comes against the housing of the N40 putting strain on the connector. FiiO makes a cheaper A variant which does work because of the straight connector.
* I have both cables and the N40 :wink:

May 19, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #208 of 311
Beware that the FiiO LC-2.5B does not fit the N40 properly. The connector comes against the housing of the N40 putting strain on the connector. FiiO makes a cheaper A variant which does work because of the straight connector.
* I have both cables and the N40 :wink:

Oh, brilliant thanks. The more expensive 4.4mm is a C variant.

I searched for 'A' variant but can only get results for 'B' and 'C' variant.

Please do you have a link for your cable that works?

Last edited:
May 19, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #209 of 311
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back