AKG K81DJ vs Senn HD-280
Jul 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

konigswagger

New Head-Fier
I've been looking to step up from my J-Lab J2 and Senn HD 202 and these are the ones I'm considering. Which one would you guys recommend?

I like how the AKG swivels, and I'm looking for bass for sure, but I hear great things about the Senn 280 as well. I mean... they must be $50 more for a reason right?

Are the 280's clamping force on your head that bad to make them not good phones?

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 8
Haven't heard the K81s, but the Senns are no bass monsters by any means (although the bass is said to get more prominent with burn-in (among other things), I haven't noticed that). The clamping is not so bad, I find them quite comfortable and at least they feel safe on your head when used portably even when running etc.

Jul 26, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 8
they seem like they should hold up but there's been reports of the headband snapping.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #7 of 8
K81 is a great headphone. Good portability, bass, it's pretty durable (from what I've seen), but it can clamp down pretty hard and can be uncomfortable for people with bigger heads.

The 280's are very comfortable. Pretty amazing headphone for the price. Lots of padding.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:
graphCompare.php

Whichever one you want.

Jul 27, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 8
I can't comment on the Sennheisers, but the AKG K81 is a solid headphone if you are looking for isolation and bass. My only issue is comfort; while some have had success stretching them over a box to decrease clamping force, they are still quite uncomfortable to me during long listening sessions. Just something to keep in mind while researching what to buy, good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back