AKG K81DJ moding, some pictures :)
Feb 11, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #17 of 32
I think it looks awesome precisely because there is no shrinktube :p

Feb 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 32
wow those pics make me want to perform some surgery to my k81dj. In my opinion the cable is way to long and microphonics come into play quite a bit. the only thing stopping me is that its my only portable can so if things dont go smoothly the first try...

Feb 11, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #22 of 32
blu tak wont makea diffrence. a small amount would work just fine.

rypin, if you are intrested, contact me via PM and we'll try to work something out.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #24 of 32
Great mod!

And I am tempted to try it. It would be very helpful if you could explain how to proceed to get access to the insides. To me, they don't seem to open up very easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wear glasses and the clamp of them was so bad

Very true... unfortunately.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 32
to get access to the insides all you do is take off the cushions by simply pulling it off, and you will notice that theres 3 screws, unscrew that and pull tat off and your already inside...

I wear contacts... but when I do wear glasses the headphone still dont put pressure on me much... just stretch the headbadn a bit and for me i find it helps alto if you extend the sides of the headphone up to 8 notches each, at least for me it made it comfortable to the point its like air on my head xP.

Feb 12, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #26 of 32
Black heatshrink after the Y split is also very noisy. I know, cuz mine are.:p I would think the more rubbery clear ones would be better. Thats a nice splitter, BTW. I just use shrink for the split, myself.

Feb 12, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #27 of 32
I've replaced the white/red techflex on my K340's after the Ysplit with shrinks and its much more quite, barely makes any noise. Plus, the Y split keeps the 2 sides apart so there is less noise.

BTW, I've had another listen to these yesterday compared to the SR60 and the PX100's. The K81 modded have less bass, but it is a much more detailed bass with control and not just "boom boom boom" like before. The mids have opened up, and sound much clearer, the treble goes a bit higher with more detail, and there is an actuall sound stage! the resolution of these headphone just improved so much. w/o a doubt it makes it a whole new headphone. It transformes it from a bass person to a entry/md-lever audiophile headphone. Amazing.

These of you who like the bass/think its just a bit too strong, I would recomend modding it. But these of you who like less bass with all the pros I've mentioned, you just dont know what youre missing
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #28 of 32
Interesting. As you state the contrary of that mentioned blue-tac sceptic, I become a little curious whom of both is finally right. On the other hand, mine only get used in noisy portabel situations - no audiophile approach needed then. But if I had any home usage for the K81, I'd make a try right away.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #29 of 32
My friend only uses them outside, he has a K701's for home usage, and he is very happy with the sound.

Feb 13, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by rypin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
to get access to the insides all you do is take off the cushions by simply pulling it off, and you will notice that theres 3 screws, unscrew that and pull tat off and your already inside...

Thanks for the info. I can now start the operation with confidence.
600smile.gif

Quote:

I wear contacts... but when I do wear glasses the headphone still dont put pressure on me much... just stretch the headbadn a bit and for me i find it helps alto if you extend the sides of the headphone up to 8 notches each, at least for me it made it comfortable to the point its like air on my head xP.

I tried that before. I guess its worth repeating with some more force. I have the headband mostly at max, but still can't use them for more than a few hours per day when wearing glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back