AKG K81DJ?K27i?K581?
Feb 2, 2009 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Athlon_Rulz

New Head-Fier
hey all!

firstly i dont really get the difference between the K81DJ, and the K581--are they the same thing?? and secondly, should I buy either of those phones, or the K27i over them?

I'm looking for a closed phone, with some isolation, that has a relatively long cable (in the range of 1.5-->2m), and wont break the bank! Finally, they've gotta have a minimal footprint (something like the Sony MDRV300s)...Which one should I go for, and is the doubled price tag for the 81s worth it??

I listen to mainly Trance/Dance Lounge, along with a lot of modern contemporary film music. I'd also use them in sync with my laptop to watch movies and such...

Cheers,!

Feb 2, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 11
i've got both the K518 ( i hope you mean k518, not 581) and the JBL 410 (AKA k27i) and the K518 are in a lifferent league to the more portable K27i (which i havre owned until i got the JBL's).

The k518 kick, really kick. are they different to the K81dj? Pass, i never tried the 81dj's.

the k518 kick backside, but the bass is heavy, which is good when your in the mood. however, they're not the most comfortable headphones i own.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 11
K81DJ and K518DJ are the same headphone. AKG decide to retire the old model name for a new one when they updated the color of the housing.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #5 of 11
I've got the K81DJ's These are some nice portable headphones. I've seen people say that the bass is overpowering, but all you really have to do is turn down the EQ or your bass boost and balance it yourself...

The only real gripe I have with the K81's is that they're supra-aural, and they HURT, a TON. It starts to hurt for me after about 30 minutes of use, sometimes even less. I've tried stretching the headband, which worked for a while (couple hours) but it started hurting again. I have the phones extended out to its longest as well.

Since I was using the K81 for my portable setup, I had to chop the 9ft long cable, and that was a bit of a hassle as well since the wires are so small and hard to handle. In terms of "dorkiness" these don't look funky in public at all. They're actually quite small, a lot smaller than I imagined them to be before I ordered them.

Here, you can compare the size of the headphones to my keyboard if that'll be of any reference to you.

DSC00416.jpg

The K81 is a good portable headphone, but only in terms of portability for a non clip-on/earbud/iem phone, and it also sounds great. Its just comfort that really knocks this one down.

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 11
hey thanks for the pic! really drives home the point. I already have a pair of marshmallows that I like for really really portable situations. but canada is cold...and ear muffs are nice
smily_headphones1.gif

plus ive got a pretty smallish head--so i reckon the comfort thing wont be that bad of an issue.

so final verdict?:
-seems like the K81 (K518 is the piece ill be buying) sound good for the money (to the tune of 76$ CAD), and are better than the K27i (about 36$ USD)
-They're portable enough for headband phones
-Not that dorky.

-will match my thinkpad
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #7 of 11
I had some discomfort with them, too, and I'm pretty sure my head is smaller than yours.
redface.gif
They made my ears sore. I did the headband bending and I can now wear them for much longer, but I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser velour pads anyway.

I think they're pretty portable because they can fold flat like Grados (instead of forming a ball like my Sony D66s) and fit well in my messenger bag like a small textbook.

Dorkiness is relative.
smile.gif

Go for it.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #9 of 11
Athlon you live in Canada? where abouts?

Well, it all depends on budget, what's the max you're willing to spend, that way more can be suggested.

I do also have the AKG K518DJ, these things sound really well but like IareConfused said, they hurt, took me 40 mins, but they do hurt. I am also in the market looking for something similar to these AKGs but with pads that cover full ear. M-Audio Q40. Audio Technica ATHM30/50.

I know it really doesn't help, but look at the Headphone Buyer's Guide, some real good suggestions for Cans in there.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #10 of 11
nice! i live just out near toronto, in hamilton -- the armpit of ontario.
i checked out the buyers guide, and its rather comprehensive...

im looking for something really quite cheap. I was on the board a while ago choosing from senn hd201s, but they were too large and bulky, and sounded kinda meh....so i raised my budget. id be happy spending 60$ for phones, and willing to spend upto 80$. I want closed headphones, that are relatively portable, and have a smallish foot-print. Ideally something like the PX200s would be great:but apparently they've got terrible sound dynamics.

so there it is:
-60$(nice), 80$ MAX
-Closed (some isolation!)
-Portable-ish
-Long Cord is great
-Small Footprint

The AKGs really do match my requirements --id have loved to own the grado 60s but they're unfortunately open
frown.gif

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #11 of 11
oh and to add!: I have sound-tested very little in the scope of headphones: i love the sound,look, and size of the bose around ear headphones (but they're so ******* expensive!), and i like the MDRV300 from Sony (they dont sound quite as good, nor are they as durable-feeling)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back