AKG K81DJ cable help
Jan 2, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hardstyler

500+ Head-Fier
Left wire is left channel, middle is right and far right is ground ? Am I right? I'm putting on a new jack btw.

EDIT: Actually the red middle one is left channel, I just need to make sure the far right wire on the picture is ground. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 8
To me, rule of thums is red = right. Pretty easy.
As far as I can tell, you have 4 conductors, 2 in each wire. Red = right, white = left, copper = ground.
But why don't you test this with a multimeter or so?

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 8
The white bit is not actually a wire, its just some cloth I think.

I have a multimeter but how would I test this? I don't want to open the cups just want to change the jack
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 8
hmm, right now I'm looking at my own K518 ( the K81, but completly in black ), and i'm seeing 3 copper colored conductors and 1 red conductor.
the copper colored look the same, but two of them are ground, and one is left channel. The red conductor is the right channel.
As you can see. the ground conductor is twisted around the signal conductor. You need to separate those.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see. the ground conductor is twisted around the signal conductor. You need to separate those.

Aww I didn't notice this at all. Thanks a lot. Heh and I thought my soldering skills are crap. I put both ground and left channel on ground point. No wonder I only heard the sound in one channel.

Jan 2, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put the multimeter on resistance and check between all the wires. Ground to each signal will have the same resistance. Also, most multimeters use DC to check the resistance so you will hear a little crackle from the driver and that'll let you know which wire goes where.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that now just to test it out even though I now know what I did wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back