AKG K812(?) Professional Headphones - coming soon
Oct 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #706 of 745
Actually if what michaelxray says is true, this sounds reminiscent of the K702 Anniversary for me. Not perfect, but does everything well without any glaring flaws.

That islave comment makes me chuckle because it makes no sense. Headphones can be easy to drive and perform incredibly well. MA900, X1, LCD2, Annies, and D7000, all sound really, really good even off cellphones.

This TOTL headphone and equipment matching being a criteria sounds like audio snobbery. Maybe part of the fun for you, but having a need to match a headphone to an amp shouldn't be necessary. There should be headphones that pair well with whatever you want to pair it up with. The LCD2 isn't known as an amp person for nothing. It really does pair up well with basically anything. Does that make it a lesser headphone? That's ridiculous.

Now I doubt the K812 is the savior of audio michaelxray is making it out to be, but judging by the improvements AKG has done with the Annie and the K712 to make them well balanced and not as picky as the older 70x line, is a definite right step for AKG. If the 812 is a top tier refinement over the Annie and K712 sound, then I'm absolutely all for it.

Not many headphones out there that can be catagorized as high end jack of all trades AND not finicky with what you hook them up to.

They are all seasoned Headphone friends and they know the important things yourself - what can I tell them . Most of them deal long time with headphones.

therefore

you can not say - there is now the ultimate headphones , beats all the

See my lines " breakfast " with a little bit of humor. It has been shown by the post- running so sorry.

But we must not forget : A headset that runs an incredibly good balance is worth more than you can speak with words. For me , such a behavior of gold. It decides a lot about whether I have a great pleasure with this headphone for a long time .

that is very important to me. I'm not quite at Stax , not even when Orpheus , not for Hifiman and Audeze , Beyer and Sennheiser , Grado, Ultrasone , ...

all of which are good and some are great. But no one stops me for everything.

And that is with the K812 already different because it is better balanced than any other that I know of . These are things like subtlety , transparency and so on . Things that I want to talk at the moment unspecified .

These things they can listen to themselves or the space that he can.

Important to mention was his incredibly high balance for me.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #707 of 745
Now I doubt the K812 is the savior of audio michaelxray is making it out to be, but judging by the improvements AKG has done with the Annie and the K712 to make them well balanced and not as picky as the older 70x line, is a definite right step for AKG. If the 812 is a top tier refinement over the Annie and K712 sound, then I'm absolutely all for it.

Surely more is expected of $1500 headphones released in 2013? By the way, Nomax was quite adamant that the K812 are picky about amps.

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #708 of 745
Actually if what michaelxray says is true, this sounds reminiscent of the K702 Anniversary for me. Not perfect, but does everything well without any glaring flaws.

That islave comment makes me chuckle because it makes no sense. Headphones can be easy to drive and perform incredibly well. MA900, X1, LCD2, Annies, and D7000, all sound really, really good even off cellphones.

This TOTL headphone and equipment matching being a criteria sounds like audio snobbery. Maybe part of the fun for you, but having a need to match a headphone to an amp shouldn't be necessary. There should be headphones that pair well with whatever you want to pair it up with. The LCD2 isn't known as an amp person for nothing. It really does pair up well with basically anything. Does that make it a lesser headphone? That's ridiculous.

You talk as if what I said was negative, granted there was some sarcasim there.  I never said amp matching was a criteria for a "good headphone" don't mistake me stating my own view, as me declareing some fact. What I look for in a headphone is not the standard, nor is my view any better than yours. I speak for my self and my self only most of the time, and when I make recommendations, I take into account what others are looking for. 

, but I'm still not a fan of using my Cell Phone for everything. I don't like jack of all devices or headphones, they sound dull to me. The k550 was a master of EVERYTHING out of EVERY SOURCE.... and it was kinda boring for that reason.
 As I've mentioned before I like the flaws, the little flaws everything have are what make each headphone or amp unique and different, and what make them enjoyable

So it's great that AKG is making another good with everything head phone, but not the product for me. I feel everything is about give and take, multiple dedicated devices, usually offer better quality than one that does everything. The strength of one, is the weakness of another, ect... ect... 

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #709 of 745
Whooo just woke up to 56 unread posts on here. I love how red bull and others come in saying it needs to be closed before they start spamming too. Now everyones posting walls of text smh

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #710 of 745

Not many headphones out there that can be catagorized as high end jack of all trades AND not finicky with what you hook them up to.

I have yet to hear the K712 Pro but I agree with you, based on graphs and comments - after listening to many similarly priced headphones, all of them do many things right but introduce some serious flaws that are hard to overcome IMHO. That's why I am looking forward to hear the K712 so much, hoping for a versatile and complex headphone for every genre and every song.

On the other hand, move up price wise and my argument is not true anymore. There are many headphones around 1000USD and higher that are technically and FR wise balanced enough to be called versatile and lifelike-sounding. HE-500, HD800, T1, HE-6, LCD-3, ... It just depends on what you find to be the nearest.

These K812 better be H-U-G-E to beat my HD800 because while there are many cans that do most things right, for me HD800 do right almost everything excluding their plastic construction - and that's why I own only these headphones for almost a year and have no intensions to switch :)

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #711 of 745

Surely more is expected of $1500 headphones released in 2013? By the way, Nomax was quite adamant that the K812 are picky about amps.

This, if your charging $1500 for it.... that makes me think your planning to market it within the "multiple singular masters in a  chain" people. as opposed to the "works with everything" crowd.

I'll go back to food, I had a Dry Aged Steak once, I think it was a Sirloin Cut... one of our Chef's paid like $28 a pound for it... now he told us, that unlike a regular Choice Sirloin, this dry aged Prime cut of beef had to be pamperd. Cooked just right, we seared off sme Foir Gras, and cooked the steak in the Duck Liver Fat, he also mentioned you need to pair it with a good sauce, did a red wine raspberry reduction for it [we won't mention the price of the wine] and lastly the way he cooked it, was in a cast iron pan, on a gas top range. ALL of that work, all of those individual elements... together made it an unforgettable steak to eat. I can still remember EVERY bite of it, the texture, the flavor the smell everything was excellent. He also prepared that steak, in a regular non stick pan, salt peper and olive oil. And... it was still good but it was... well it was a let down, considering the cheaper sirloin was just as good, and ofc much cheaper

My point, with food the BEST of food cost a LOT of money, requires a LOT of skill to get it to be... unforgetable! So when your paying the PRICE you expect to need those other elements to bring it to the NEXT level. The whole point of TOTL at that price point [imo] is that they bring you to that NEXT level when paired with other devices with that level of specificity in thier pourpose. The BEST jack of All head phone shouldn't cost $1500. I love my W1000x and it's great with EVERYTHING, and still has it's own flaws that I do enjoy [most of the time] that  and the w1000x cost like $400 or so? [I had to mod it a little though] That seems like a fair price, it might get scale a little but, it does exactly what i need it to at the price and set of flaws I can live with. Paying $1500 for a jack of all just seems foolish as I doubt it's going to be at that NEXT level, more than anything it's just going to be  another mix of flaws. 

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #712 of 745

I have yet to hear the K712 Pro but I agree with you, based on graphs and comments - after listening to many similarly priced headphones, all of them do many things right but introduce some serious flaws that are hard to overcome IMHO. That's why I am looking forward to hear the K712 so much, hoping for a versatile and complex headphone for every genre and every song.

On the other hand, move up price wise and my argument is not true anymore. There are many headphones around 1000USD and higher that are technically and FR wise balanced enough to be called versatile and lifelike-sounding. HE-500, HD800, T1, HE-6, LCD-3, ... It just depends on what you find to be the nearest.

These K812 better be H-U-G-E to beat my HD800 because while there are many cans that do most things right, for me HD800 do right almost everything excluding their plastic construction - and that's why I own only these headphones for almost a year and have no intensions to switch :)

I have to agree with you about the HD800.  It has by far been my favorite after owning LCD-2, T1, HE-6, and AD2000X.  Unfortunately I had to sell them awhile back for some money.  So now I'm looking forward to some solid impressions of the K812 when they come out to see how they compare.  Otherwise, I'll just end up getting the HD800 again more than likely.

Oct 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #713 of 745

I have to agree with you about the HD800.  It has by far been my favorite after owning LCD-2, T1, HE-6, and AD2000X.  Unfortunately I had to sell them awhile back for some money.  So now I'm looking forward to some solid impressions of the K812 when they come out to see how they compare.  Otherwise, I'll just end up getting the HD800 again more than likely.

WHat didn't you like about the HE6 and T1 compared to the HD800 

Oct 6, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #714 of 745
michaelxray: I feel I've missed something here: Do you own a pair of the 812s already?

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #716 of 745

WHat didn't you like about the HE6 and T1 compared to the HD800 

Well HE-6 is still my second place so far.  But lacks the comfort and ideal soundstage presentation of the HD800.  The T1 was enjoyable and comfortable but mostly a poor value for the money compared to the HD800 IMO.  The T1 is mostly just a little more intimate and close up with the sounds, and lacks some of the space of the HD800.  The HD800 and HE-6 are both texture beasts which I like.  If the K812 has good texture, while retaining good soundstage, good bass presence and not having the power handling limit of the 7 series, then I will be interested.  If I see 200mw power handling again when the spec sheets roll out there is a good chance I'll probably just dismiss it.  Also, when I say texture, I'm probably more referring to highs, i.e. brushes on a snare drum, or the texture of a bow on a string, etc.

Oct 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #720 of 745

Users who are viewing this thread

Back