AKG K812 Pro
Nov 14, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,047 of 4,832
I do find airy soundstage to be nice but I won't credit a headphone as being better based off of that but it definitely can make it that much better if done right. Even if a headphone has large peaks i can deal with it as long as there's enough space for the dynamics to breath and not push the peaks into my ears . So while not masking the peaks, a large soundstage can make them more tolerable to me. I don't like large dynamics that much anyways. It always makes for a better wow factor but as long as there's good separation then I find smaller dynamics with good microdynamics/details to be more musical.

For what it's worth I used my HD800 for over 4 years, but after the K812 arrived I just couldn't get into their sound signature any more. I recently sold them and haven missed them.
The K812 is for me my end game set of cans.

Nov 14, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #3,048 of 4,832
  The K812 loves tube amps. I really like this headphone with the amps I have on hand. Are you selling yours?I think it is a reference quality headphone and can work well in most systems if the amps and source is good. What 6sn7 are you using?  Many good choices out there . I like the sylvania chrome tops for a reasonable price. TS Black glass is out of control(expensive) but my favorite for sure.

Frank,
Right now, I am running 1x JAN Philips 6SN7 and 2x Sylvania 6SN7GTA:  a pretty "neutral-leaning" arrangement,  Even so, the K812 just seem to sound more naturally weighted both tonally and dynamically, as well as render a much more palpable sense of 3-D space, when partnered with the Bada/tubes.
I am thinking about swapping in 1x Brimar CV1988 and 2x Raytheon 6SN7GT [short bottle] . . . 

Nov 16, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3,051 of 4,832
A quick question.  the aspire amp you were using is an otl tube amp right?  would it work best with a higher impedence can than the k812?

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #3,054 of 4,832
OK. Makes sense lol. There was definitely enough current being delivered to the AKG.

The amp is really good with many cans. I using the small  53Yt tube rectifier today much more bass . i also opened the volume control all the  he way up on the Inspire an using the Hugo volume control and it really easier to adjust. The Hugo makes it very dynamic. The amps response with different tube swaps since there is no parts in the signal path the sound changes based on the tune sbeing used. Rollers will love this amp.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,058 of 4,832
I bene using  the Inspire Had amp with great result and the V281 violectric also worked well so any of the Violectric amps would work the V200 would be a good match for it also because it is single ended so the V281 single ended really is basically a singular V200

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #3,059 of 4,832
I would say to just go balanced but that's one downfall to these lol. I too love an open sound stage and while I have my heart set on a cavalli liquid glass amplifier I'm also torn with really really wanting to go balanced. I could only imagine the k812 balanced lol.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #3,060 of 4,832
The K812 cannot be done in balanced without serious modification to the headphone. I spoke with Moon about it and Drew said he tried but-would have to modify the headphone entirely. I king of would want ot leave it a sis so for people looking ti us balance amps you would not get the advantage of a true balance design. Makes snense to use single ended amps. If people want more than  one phone and hav balanced phones then the V281 would be a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back