AKG K812 Pro
Jan 6, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #3,226 of 4,832

sell your oppo...the AUDEZE EL-8 is here ..almost !!!!!!!

My Oppo PM-2 is dead to me. Dead to me, I say.
biggrin.gif
 Wait, this is a K812 thread. Back on topic.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,227 of 4,832
  DC,
I a/b-ed the PM-1 and the K812 with the "least" of my upstream gear [Denon DVD-1940CI (set to "Pure Direct"), Aural Thrills BCS interconnect, headphone out from the Linn Intek integrated].  

My respctive preferences tended to be genre-dependent: the PM-1 getting the clear nod for 'Classsic R&R" tracks (Bachman Turner Overdrive, the Definitive Collection/Mercury 2008); the K812 performing better with classical or period music (Monteverdi, Vespers of 1610/TELARC 1997).

The sonic delivery of the PM-1 versus the K812 is fundamentally different.  

The Oppos, with the most "saturated" soundfield I have ever heard from any set of headphones so far, present the music in a more flush fashion, in layers from which the individual instruments/voices bloom.  It is difficult to describe.  Even though the front-to-back dimensionality of the PM-1 is not particulalry pronounced in itself, the natural "realtime" bloom of the instrumentation/vocals projects into the soundfield with an excellent sense of reach and immersion for the listener.  There is a remarkable flexibilty and unflagging integrity to the entire soundfield, coupled with an uncanny ability to resolve nuance and ultrafine detail across the frequency spectrum, yet without introducing undue emphasis anywhere along that same spectrum.  Like the HE-6, the Oppo PM-1 are deceptively quick, rhythmically lock-step in cadence, but seeming to unpack the exactitudes/intricacies of timing and pace in a virtual "slow motion".

The AKGs, on the other hand, have an airy, rounded presentation.  Instruments/vocals radiate from point sources precisely anchored in 3D space.  The front-to-back depth is clearly defined, and that clear sense of dimensionality remains poised in the listener's mind even without directly audible instrumental or vocal queues.  The bass is deep, resolute and finished, but retains its unique sense of air and what--for lack of a better vocabulary--I shall call its signature "spatial dynamic".  The K812 generate more treble energy than the PM-1, but focus that energy to more believably portray the natural shimmer and sheen to cymbals, strings and brass, for example.

Given the modest solid state amplification noted, the PM-1 were the winners in conveying the the "classic" R&R tracks.  Electric guitar sounds superb with the Oppos--the best I have heard.  This is not to say that the K812 did not fare notably well, too, just not as well for these particular tracks.  On the other hand, with larger scale choral/orchestral tracks, the spatial prowess of the K812 did more justice than the PM-1.  

To my ears, the K812 fare much better with tubes somehwere upstream.  With the solid state amplifiers I currently have on hand [Denon AVR-1905, Linn Intek, Schiit Magni, KMF and Lehmann BCL], the AKGs are tonally and spatially held back compared to the way they perform with my hybrid amp [the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12 with 3x 6SN7 tubes].  From past experience, I have come to prefer the K812 to the PM-1, independent of genre, when using the Bada and my other "premier" source gear.

To be honest, I cannot help but think/suspect that the K812's cable might be impeding the headphones' ultimate capacity, too.  Hence, I am faced with the all-too-familiar dilemma: how much more money do I want to spend in order to exploit the full potential of these headphones?

Sometimes it is easier to simply strap on my tried-and-true Martin Logan Mikros 90s and defer this sort of uncomfortable decision-making to another day!

wink.gif

Very nice comparison and write-up, Pataburd. But these cans are so different that I am not sure I see the point of comparing these two particular cans. Sure, we can compare any two cans, and in the TOTL price range, where a person may have to choose between one or the other, I guess it makes sense to point out the differences between any two cans to help others. But these have such starkly different presentations that someone is going to really like one or the other or, like me, find them to be very complementary. I much more understand comparing the K812 to the HD800 or T1 and the Oppo to the Audeze or HFM, but the dynamics against the planars not so much given how much different their signatures are almost by definition.

I do find these cans complementary (and I am basing this on the PM-2 with stock pads and PM1 Alt pads (not the PM-1 itself) and a loaner pair of the K812). I do think you nailed the differences. While the K812 can do EDM or dance-pop well, I think the Oppo is much more enjoyable for modern dance-pop like Katy Perry, with its warm and enveloping sound and deep bass. Acoustic tracks the K812 is generally the clear victor. I think each have their merits on well-recorded R&R. Personally, although the K812 delivers a great soundstage for well recorded classic rock (think Aja or Rumours), I think they sound great out of the Oppo and the intimacy in those cases I find to be more involving. Same for modern rock like say Arctic Monkeys.  OTOH, classic Paul Simon or Simon & Garfunkel are wonderful on the K812 and suffer from the lack of air (IMO) on the Oppo.  Also, while I generally prefer classic rock on the PM-2, I will say that a track like "Never Going Back again" from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours with its acoustic guitar pickings sound amazing on the K812. I wish the K812 were cheaper. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #3,230 of 4,832
Well tyll did find them to be very musical but I just watched his video in the and I feel like crying just like the other twenty times I watched the video. Up late, what areas of music or instruments is this modal breakup most evident?

sorry but i can't be that specific. was comparing it to the hd800 at the time which sounded cleaner overall. the k812 seemed to have more bass weight tho.

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #3,231 of 4,832
Being two totally different Cans makes for a great comparison. It can make it harder to evaluate what one is better of course but for someone looking for a certain type of sound rather than simply the best sound

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #3,233 of 4,832
Inwas talking about the k812 when you agreed with paklat about the treble being cloudy and loosing resolution. I know we're talking about the treble but was curious if it was all treble or just certain areas

Jan 7, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #3,235 of 4,832
Gotcha, colgin mentioned to pataburd that he didn't really get the point of comparing the pm-1 and k812

Jan 7, 2015 at 2:58 AM Post #3,236 of 4,832
sorry but i can't be that specific. was comparing it to the hd800 at the time which sounded cleaner overall. the k812 seemed to have more bass weight tho.

+1. More bass bloom for the K812. That induces more warmth. The overall tonal balance ot the K812 is a bit warmer than the HD800 but the difference is not huge on my own system.

The HD800 sounds definitely cleaner in the whole spectrum but the biggest gap is IMO in dynamics. the K812 is not able to provide as much micro and macro dynamics as the HD800 does. its not even close ( tried DNA Sonett 2 and jps labs O2 ). I always need to crank up the volume, looking for more life. The treble is definitely problematic too but it's sometimes barely bothersome and sometimes unlistenable. That been said, I ask myself oif this AKG , despite its specs, is so easy to drive. I remember the good ol' K501 which I owned and loved was very hard to drive at its best despite average specs. I need more investigation.

The overall sound is IMO so so for the price. I would be less finicky if this K812 was priced like a Beyerdynamic T1 for example. 

I currently own a K812 for evaluation and reviewing purpose.
beerchug.gif
. it fights against a HD800 and a Stax SR404 currently.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #3,237 of 4,832
Greatly appreciated input and I think you just helped me realize the difference between a monitor and a musical headphone. Seems akg tried to blend them but still presents its monitor dna more than anything. Thanks a bunch.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #3,238 of 4,832

+1. More bass bloom for the K812. That induces more warmth. The overall tonal balance ot the K812 is a bit warmer than the HD800 but the difference is not huge on my own system.

The HD800 sounds definitely cleaner in the whole spectrum but the biggest gap is IMO in dynamics. the K812 is not able to provide as much micro and macro dynamics as the HD800 does. its not even close ( tried DNA Sonett 2 and jps labs O2 ). I always need to crank up the volume, looking for more life. The treble is definitely problematic too but it's sometimes barely bothersome and sometimes unlistenable. That been said, I ask myself oif this AKG , despite its specs, is so easy to drive. I remember the good ol' K501 which I owned and loved was very hard to drive at its best despite average specs. I need more investigation.

The overall sound is IMO so so for the price. I would be less finicky if this K812 was priced like a Beyerdynamic T1 for example. 

I currently own a K812 for evaluation and reviewing purpose.
beerchug.gif
. it fights against a HD800 and a Stax SR404 currently.

I agree with this. K812 is above the T1 for me so price-wise I'd put it at 999$ max. The T1 can be bought for 800 Dollars from Amazon (FR). 

The bass bloom is due to high distortion. It can be plenty of fun to many (which is very legit) it's just not accurate so on the basis of technical prowess or accuracy the K812 is no  match for the HD 800. However I still liked it. Very comfortable, detailed (just not much like the HD 800) good soundstage, easy to drive so great home mobile use (switching from TV, consoles, PC, mobile players, bed etc..), just too expensive. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #3,239 of 4,832
Yup. It's defnitely an enjoyable headphone with a treble that could be problematic. i Haven"t the T1 under my hands anymore but from memory I shouldn't say the K812 is better. I prefer the K812 though.  T1 /K812/Ultrasone Edition 12 are in the same league to my ears. The HD800 is a level above

@DoctaCosmos : I wouldn't call the K812 more musical than the HD800 though. "musical" says nothing imo. it's fully a matter of taste and personal preferences. Fortunately my sound and music preferences matches perfectly well with the HD800 so I'm an happy camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back