AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Sep 3, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #77 of 296
Any comparison to the Elear?
I don't think there's much to say, they are very different headphones.
Elear is bassy with relatively soft treble and small stage, while K812 is neutralish with very open stage and some treble tilt.

K812 is more along the lines of the Utopia in the big scheme of things, but still has a different tuning and different soundstage as well.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:28 AM Post #78 of 296
I don't think there's much to say, they are very different headphones.
Elear is bassy with relatively soft treble and small stage, while K812 is neutralish with very open stage and some treble tilt.

K812 is more along the lines of the Utopia in the big scheme of things, but still has a different tuning and different soundstage as well.
Thanks Me x3, made my buying decisions a lot easier now.

Sep 3, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #79 of 296
Well, I certainly prefer the T1.2 to the DT1999 and I prefer the K812Pro to both. :)

What did you like more about the K812 over both? It's been so long since I've heard the K812, I honestly forgot how it sounded, all I remember is I liked it more than the T1.1 back then. I had the T1.2 and the DT 1990, ended up preferring the Amiron Home over both. Between the DT 1990 with analytical pads and the T1.2 I prefer the T1.2 myself, though the balanced pads made the DT 1990 a different animal and a really good choice for electronic/modern music. Though have to say the DT 1990 and T1.2 are more similar to each other than they are to the Amiron.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #80 of 296
If anyone is looking for a K812 I have a very well cater for one for sale. Check my signature for the link.

I sold my HD800's last month and now it's time to part with these for an eventual move to the Sta SR-L700. I would rate the HD800 above the K812 in soundstage width and detail but the K812 win in bass presentation and dynamics. The closest way to describe it is the K812 support rock music more where as the HD800 support classical music more.

Sep 3, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #81 of 296
I personally like the K812's sound. It's a different approach than most of the other flagships and I respect them for that. My main complaint is the build quality. Sure, it's sturdy and I'm sure it's built to last... but it doesn't feel like a $1,000+ product in your hands. It only feels marginally better than the K7-- line.

As far as the DT1990 goes, I ended up liking them so much as time went on that I sold my Amiron homes. They're my personal most favorite headphone I've ever heard to date.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #82 of 296
What did you like more about the K812 over both? It's been so long since I've heard the K812, I honestly forgot how it sounded, all I remember is I liked it more than the T1.1 back then. I had the T1.2 and the DT 1990, ended up preferring the Amiron Home over both. Between the DT 1990 with analytical pads and the T1.2 I prefer the T1.2 myself, though the balanced pads made the DT 1990 a different animal and a really good choice for electronic/modern music. Though have to say the DT 1990 and T1.2 are more similar to each other than they are to the Amiron.

I prefer the better nuanced details, and improved soundstaging & comfort of the AKG. That said, I still really hold the T1.2 in high regard. The DT1990 is a good headphone, but is just below them across the board to my ears. :)

Sep 3, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #83 of 296
I prefer the better nuanced details, and improved soundstaging & comfort of the AKG. That said, I still really hold the T1.2 in high regard. The DT1990 is a good headphone, but is just below them across the board to my ears. :)

Ah, will have to make a point to listen to them again when I can, been considering getting the K812 off and on but really need to listen to it compared to the T1.2 or the AK T1p(really want to hear how this low impedance version of the T1.2 sounds). The T1.2 is great and honestly a headphone I view as a must listen on a nice system, though I would personally suggest most people get the DT 1990 over the T1 simply because it's cheaper and easier to amp properly than the T1.2 and many will like the DT 1990's safer sound signature(warmer and doesn't have the same vividness or treble extension of the T1.2)

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #84 of 296
One of my favorite headphones.

I kinda have a soft spot for K812, and clearly prefer it over HD800. Perhaps because of its musicality. I have yet to hear HD800S so I cannot comment on that one for now. Also, I do clearly prefer it over Focal Elear for most, if not all, of my listening. I do not have T1-gen2, but I do have a late production of a T1-gen1, and I like the 812 more.

I also found it to be the most comfortable of these mentioned headphones. I just like the way it stays on my head, once properly adjusted, as well as the feeling of the "sealed" ear-pads. (I never feel that HD800 ear pads fit properly with me. Perhaps I'm used to a more "tightly sealed" design).

That being said, and for sake of a little reference, my most favorite headphones is Kennerton Odin.

It's just personal preferences, after all. I understand why people would feel otherwise, or even direct opposite (on both sound and fit).

Aug 27, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #85 of 296
It's been a while since this thread has shown sign of life, but I would like to ask a question. I am getting more and more fond of my K712 Pro headphones and am thinking of pulling the trigger on the K812, the price on Amazon.co.uk having come down quite a lot. Does anyone have experience of the Slovakian-made K812 Pro? My K712 is Slovakian and it's fine, but I thought I would ask the question.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #86 of 296
I had a Slovakian made k812 and had zero issues with it. Fit, finish, and durability were all there.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #87 of 296
Double post.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #88 of 296
I had a Slovakian made k812 and had zero issues with it. Fit, finish, and durability were all there.
Thanks so much. As I say, my Slovakian K712 Pro was/is excellent, so thanks for the confirmation.

Aug 28, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #89 of 296
Pulled the trigger on the AKG K812 Pro yesterday. It should arrive tomorrow. I have been increasingly enjoying my K712 Pro headphones and have been trying the “You don’t need to buy the K812. You are so happy with these...” argument. Much thread reading. Many contradictory opinions. Tomorrow I will know. Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread! Duplicate post with the main K812 Pro thread - but this is where I started!

Aug 28, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #90 of 296
Hope you like it!

K812 is cooler and more analytical, great for top class audiophile recordings and critical listening.

K712 is slightly fuller and more cohessive sounding. Just a tad more forgiving and relaxed overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back