AKG K812 Pro, underrated?
Aug 31, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #46 of 296
I've had a pair of Oppo PM-1 for almost a year now and they have sat in the box. I had to save for another few months to get the matching HA-1 and after a nightmare with a very delayed delivery, plus far too many phone calls, it was dead out of the box. This completely put me off it at the time and I ended up not getting one, as I had some major car problems that had to take priority. So now I'm in better circumstances and started looking around again. One of the headphones I ignored at the time were the AKG K812. What a mistake. A friend of mine recently bought some and I tried them out one evening while visiting. I am seriously considering selling the PM-1 to get a pair.

Maybe I should start a thread, but I'm wondering what to consider to power them. It seems they don't need as much as some headphones, but want to make sure they are not compromised with the wrong choice.

Aug 31, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #47 of 296
I've never found them difficult to drive. I've listened on five or so different amps, including a number of blind tests with cheap and expensive amplifiers. I could never tell a significant difference (other than my cellphone not being powerful enough to drive them).

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #48 of 296
Thanks. I have read quite a few people saying they don't feel they need much to drive them, but then reviews on the web suggest they actually do if you want them to sound clean and keep the top end under control. It's difficult knowing what to believe.

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #49 of 296
Believe your own ears, and don't be afraid to accept the results of a blind test. If you can't hear the difference, don't spend the money.

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #50 of 296
I have had 5 AKGs and the k812 is by far the easiest to power. One would think it would have the classic thirst of the K701-712 but it just doesn't seem that way to me. Yes, they don't sound at their best out of my phone but other amps do just fine. I loved the pairing with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon.

Aug 31, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #52 of 296
Looking at @robthemac's avatar I realized there aren't enough pictures in this thread so I'll revive one I took last year for now.

9362108.png

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #53 of 296
Head-fi and the high end headphone crowd definitely ride the hype train. What often happens is that a negative review or two can cause truly great headphones to be overlooked. I heard the K1000's on a Woo Audio Wa5 and it was one of the two best dynamic headphone setups that I've ever heard (the other being Sony R10 from a Tim de Paravicini EAR HP-4). I hope I can find a pair of these to listen to around LA sometime.

Sep 1, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #54 of 296
Head-fi and the high end headphone crowd definitely ride the hype train. What often happens is that a negative review or two can cause truly great headphones to be overlooked. I heard the K1000's on a Woo Audio Wa5 and it was one of the two best dynamic headphone setups that I've ever heard (the other being Sony R10 from a Tim de Paravicini EAR HP-4). I hope I can find a pair of these to listen to around LA sometime.

I'll have to agree, the high-end headphone market is a bad hype train sadly. I'll have to agree the R10 and the K1000 are the two most impressive dynamic headphone systems I've heard myself. Sadly like you say it really only takes one negative high profile review to ruin a headphones popularity.

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:19 AM Post #55 of 296
well i heard the k812 before reading the reviews and i don't regard it as underrated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back