AKG k702's and "lack of bass".
Feb 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #16 of 68
Quote:
Could not put it better myself. Give this headphone a good amp and it has oodles of bass, not the wooly stuff I hear from the so called "great" headphones around here which are all bass centric . I tried the Senn Momentums the other day, dreadful headphones with wooly bass, little definition or subtly.

I am actually considering getting another pair of these, I sold mine a couple of years ago because I fell for the "headfi" what should sound right thing but thankfully have moved on. Listening to the pair I sold my friend through a Rega amp the sound was involving, clean and had everything in proportion.

How do the K702's deal with multiple genres of music when properly amped?

Take heavy rock, or electronic for example. Does it provide enough bass to make these genres sound the way they should, or do they still sound thin, even with a good amplifier?

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #17 of 68
Most of the time, if not always, its the source, record quality I mean.

THX
Quote:

How do the K702's deal with multiple genres of music when properly amped?

Take heavy rock, or electronic for example. Does it provide enough bass to make these genres sound the way they should, or do they still sound thin, even with a good amplifier?

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #18 of 68
i find they serve all genre's of music well. Again though, factor in not just a powerful amp but more a quality amp, I cannot emphasize the importance of that. Many amps have power but that does not mean a thing, you need one that is designed well as well!

I have a broad spectrum of musical interest and these satisfy on all counts I find. They just get passed over on this forum but many respected music journalists still use these to this day and I respect what most of them say than most of what is written here. Most here do not have to qualify themselves with their thoughts and I have to say I think a great many never even hear the stuff, they just quote others. Bottom line is try to hear these before you buy, great thing with them is they are easily available in many music or HiFi stores, have a listen and see what you think.

I dont want you to fall down the expensive trap I did here and just buy of the recommendations of what folks (including myself!) say here.

Also, try reading reviews OUTSIDE of this forum.. A lot here will knock them but then again, a lot here have very big egos!

Here is an excellent review of the 701's which are the same sans detachable cable
http://www.stereophile.com/headphones/806akg

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #19 of 68
Hi,
Quote:
What are those home audio speakers?

I think you are asking me?

SD-Acoustics SD-1.

These are quite legendary speakers from the UK made from late 80's to the mid 90's, before the company closed down. I bought them directly from the man Steen in 93, when I got my first big bonus. There are not many around these days I believe, in part of the foam surrounds that rot. They have a ribbon tweeter, a six inch midrange and ten inch woofer, a quite unusual partially open back box. I drive them with 50 Watt Valve Monoblock Amp's.

They are some of the best I have ever heard, regardless of money, size etc, at least for the front room of a semi-detached in south England. The Foam surrounds of the drivers rotted away a few years ago and I had the drivers rebuild by Wembley Loudspeakers, now they are again like new. I tried quite a few of the then latest and greatest speakers before I got them repaired, I was perfectly ready to move on to something else, but could not find anything below five bags of sand I even really was willing to tolerate, never mind liked.

Cheerio Rich

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #20 of 68
Quote:
I have a broad spectrum of musical interest and these satisfy on all counts I find. They just get passed over on this forum but many respected music journalists still use these to this day and I respect what most of them say than most of what is written here. Most here do not have to qualify themselves with their thoughts and I have to say I think a great many never even hear the stuff, they just quote others. Bottom line is try to hear these before you buy, great thing with them is they are easily available in many music or HiFi stores, have a listen and see what you think.

Great advice. In the past two years I've tried a bunch of headphones recommended to me on this forum but I keep coming back to the K701/K702's.

As for the bass issue, I'd say the K701's are slightly shy of what most people would call neutral. Compared to the SRH1840, it lacked a bit of bass presence. But as Acix and others have said, even a budget amp like the M-Stage or O2 can really flesh out the bass response. I certainly wouldn't call them "bass-light." The K272HD/K271 is bass-light. Not these.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #21 of 68
What are your opinions on the sound stage?

I've heard some people say that instruments sound like they're coming from a mile away. Is this the case? or is that greatly over exaggerated as well?

I'd love the music to sound like its coming from outside the headphones and be able to accurately visualize where each instrument would be placed in the room. However, I wouldn't like the instruments to sound as if they were coming from through a wall as some people have described them.

Feb 21, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #22 of 68
Quote:
Would the Fiio E17/E09k provide enough power to juice these babies up?

Or would it require something more spectacular?

I use the E09K for home use and the E07K for portable/work use and they work very well on my K702.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #23 of 68
Hi,
Quote:

I've heard some people say that instruments sound like they're coming from a mile away. Is this the case? or is that greatly over exaggerated as well?

I'd love the music to sound like its coming from outside the headphones and be able to accurately visualize where each instrument would be placed in the room. However, I wouldn't like the instruments to sound as if they were coming from through a wall as some people have described them.

Of all the headphones I tried (not only the ones in my review, but many more over the years even Stax 'stats) only the Sennheiser HD-800 ever tricked me to hear music not firmly lodged within me noggin, between my ears. The K701 where no exception. This is why for so long I have hated the headphone experience. You need an Amp with some processing to pull the music out of yer nut, I liked the SPL Phonitor, but it's pricetag is a wee bit rich for me. The iFi iCAN did pretty much as well for less than halve a monkey, so I got it...

Cheers Rich

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #24 of 68
You talk about the bass... how much have you burned your K702 in? The bass seems to shine through a bit once you've juiced the drivers for a while. It doesn't go quite as low as other headphones. It seems to stop just at the mid double digit frequency range. This is, however, through a midrange PC sound card without any extra amplification.

That's how I like my sound, though. I love the mid bass, but don't really enjoy the ultra-lows.

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #25 of 68
Yes that's the funny part. A mile away is 3" from your face to these guys if the singer isn't presented in the back pod your head its a mile away. Granted these do not have the depth of a great 2channel setup but it can be presented the same with the music and stage up front and the reverberations and reflections closer. Its not as great as 2channel but at least its similar.

My real gripes are I don't think it renders tone texture or leading edge attack as well as other cans but I guess you can't have it all

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #26 of 68
You promise that's a good combo ? You can get an auditor for that. I want to believe but can't find much

Hi,

Of all the headphones I tried (not only the ones in my review, but many more over the years even Stax 'stats) only the Sennheiser HD-800 ever tricked me to hear music not firmly lodged within me noggin, between my ears. The K701 where no exception. This is why for so long I have hated the headphone experience. You need an Amp with some processing to pull the music out of yer nut, I liked the SPL Phonitor, but it's pricetag is a wee bit rich for me. The iFi iCAN did pretty much as well for less than halve a monkey, so I got it...

Cheers Rich

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #27 of 68
Hi,
Quote:
You promise that's a good combo ? You can get an auditor for that. I want to believe but can't find much

You can get the Auditor for 225 Squid? Where.

For me K701 and iCAN worked very well. I think people must seriously audition what they splurge out on. So buy with "right to return" or go to a Dealer that demo's.

At current prices in the UK the K701 and an iCAN together is less than a Monkey ([size=small]£ 500).

Not sure I'd take it over an Sennheiser HD-800 and an SPL Phonitor, but I'd take it over almost anything else I heard so far in headphones, except the HiFiman HE-500 on sound only (it has build quality, wearing comfort and ergonomic issues that simply exclude it for me even for free)...

Cheerio Rich
[/size]

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #29 of 68
Quote:
You talk about the bass... how much have you burned your K702 in? The bass seems to shine through a bit once you've juiced the drivers for a while. It doesn't go quite as low as other headphones. It seems to stop just at the mid double digit frequency range. This is, however, through a midrange PC sound card without any extra amplification.

That's how I like my sound, though. I love the mid bass, but don't really enjoy the ultra-lows.

How long is generally recommended for burn-in with the K702? Currently doing mine right now and I'm at about 40 hours. I was planning on doing maybe 200-400 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back