AKG K702 vs K701 comfort
Jan 29, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #76 of 94
The zip tie try trick solves the problem of the elastic bands pulling the leather down and you don't have to cut anything and lessen the resale value.

I still notice the bump though. I agree wholeheartedly with olblueyez. I have never read complaints from AKG owners with smooth bands either.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best part is I never see anyone complain about the AKG models without the bumps on the headband, and AKG still goes out of their way to put the bumps on the headband.

This is the crux of it. The 701 was a step backward from the flat headband of the 601. Yet AKG apparently didn't learn anything from user feedback, and persisted with the lumpy headband on the 702. It's almost as if they're so in love with the design that they're (for now) willing to pretend there aren't comfort issues concerning it.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #78 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the crux of it. The 701 was a step backward from the flat headband of the 601. Yet AKG apparently didn't learn anything from user feedback, and persisted with the lumpy headband on the 702. It's almost as if they're so in love with the design that they're (for now) willing to pretend there aren't comfort issues concerning it.

Did you tell AKG about your dissatisfaction? Better yet, how do I go about submitting my complaint? Have they really heard about this enough to be worried about it or not?

Come to think of. I don't even think it's the AKG's that are bothering me. I wear ear muffs at work because I work with loud machinery. That is what is bothering me. My head is sore before I even put the AKG's on. Just thought of that since I brought them in to do a little repair on them and they are sitting here. Still, no bumps would be ideal imo.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #79 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The zip tie try trick solves the problem of the elastic bands pulling the leather down and you don't have to cut anything and lessen the resale value.

I still notice the bump though. I agree wholeheartedly with olblueyez. I have never read complaints from AKG owners with smooth bands either.

Yeah, its a shame, im not really into the 7 series AKG's but I totally understand why people like them and I just dont get how AKG could repeat the problem. I tried the tie-wraps and this fixed the problem of the cups wanting to slide up on my ears but the headband was still killing me. If I had 20 dollars for every time I looked at the swivels that hold the headband in place and thought, "How can I take them apart" then I could pay cash for a new car.

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #80 of 94
The foam tape mod. I wasn't sure if it'd help but I'd say there is a 50% improvement. I might slim the pieces up a bit and make them look better.

foam032.jpg

Jan 29, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by coredump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The foam tape mod. I wasn't sure if it'd help but I'd say there is a 50% improvement. I might slim the pieces up a bit and make them look better.

foam032.jpg

Smart man, I notice the foam seems to sit level with the bumps on the pad, would it work better if the foam you added was thicker than the bumps because it compresses when you put the headphones on?

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #85 of 94
Since last posting in this thread, I got a K701, and the first thing I did was to mod it for comfort. I came up with my own method. It's quite simple:

1. Remove the two upper braces (the ones that limit how high the headband can slide).

2. Zip-tie a loop around each side as a lower brace beneath the sliding brace the headband uses.

3. Tighten to desired pressure.

From then, the headband can slide up as far as you need to fit, and slide back down if you set the ties loose. If you tighten the ties, you can actually limit the lower range of the headband (so it doesn't shrink beyond a certain width) or freeze it in place completely (so it's always the right size). Here are a couple of pics of it with my AD700, post mod. The AD700 is still the more comfortable phone, but the K701 went from being unwearable to becoming very, very comfortable--at least as comfy as my HD555 was.

Jun 3, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #88 of 94
I already did.
wink.gif
See pics in my album.

Best thing I ever did to K701. Easily one of my most comfortable cans now.

Jun 3, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #89 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since last posting in this thread, I got a K701, and the first thing I did was to mod it for comfort. I came up with my own method. It's quite simple:

1. Remove the two upper braces (the ones that limit how high the headband can slide).

2. Zip-tie a loop around each side as a lower brace beneath the sliding brace the headband uses.

3. Tighten to desired pressure.

From then, the headband can slide up as far as you need to fit, and slide back down if you set the ties loose. If you tighten the ties, you can actually limit the lower range of the headband (so it doesn't shrink beyond a certain width) or freeze it in place completely (so it's always the right size). Here are a couple of pics of it with my AD700, post mod. The AD700 is still the more comfortable phone, but the K701 went from being unwearable to becoming very, very comfortable--at least as comfy as my HD555 was.

what did ya take the upper brace off with?

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #90 of 94
is it possible to invert the leather band and have the bumps facing up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back