AKG K702 Recable
Jan 27, 2009 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

troymadison

Headphoneus Supremus
I am going to recable the K702 with a HD650 cable. The AKG K702 has a male 3 pin xlr plug on it. Is it okay to assume that one is left, one is right, and the last one is ground? I will be use a meter to test this.

Jan 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's wrong with the k702 cable?

I just received my K702s yesterday, and the only complaint I have with the cable is that it is 1/8" terminated, plus they forgot to include the 1/8" to 1/4" adapter in my box. I'd prefer a straight 1/4" termination. Plus the cable is a bit on the thin side.. maybe not a bad thing though; I don't feel the one sided entry at all.

Jan 28, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 650 cable is lower quality to begin with.

I would like some more depth information about this statement!

Jan 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would strongly recommend against using an HD650 cable, just buy yourself 1m of Mogami 2534 (under $4) and the connectors.

x2 only I would get the Mogami 2893 which is slightly smaller.

Jan 30, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

I would like some more depth information about this statement!

Just to be clear I'm referring to better quality in terms of functional design, not sound quality. The AKG cable is thinner, lighter and more flexible. It's also one sided - which is a big plus in my mind.
If you want to get more esoteric, the AKG cable is specified as 99.99% ofc while the Sennheiser cable is specified as just ofc (which basically means nothing).
To me it seems very odd to replace a functionally excellent cable with a known high quality copper with a functionally lesser cable with unknown copper quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back