AKG K702 or Beyerdynamic DT 880
May 31, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #16 of 28

Quote:
I never liked the K70x's with any tube amp (MAD Ear+HD, Woo6, Woo3, LD III, and LDIV). Honestly I preferred the Total Bithead to any tube amp.

And what if I changed to the Beyers (the 600ohm for example), or Senn 600/650? Would they also be ok with something like the Bithead, or would they sound good with a tube? 
I guess I'm looking for something versatile, so as my tastes change and I'm finding the right phones, I have a decent amp to compliment anything I throw at it.

May 31, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 28

Quote:
And what if I changed to the Beyers, or Senns? Would they also be ok with something like the Bithead, or would they sound good with a tube? 
I guess I'm looking for something versatile, so as my tastes change and I'm finding the right phones, I have a decent amp to compliment anything I throw at it.

I would strongly recommend a good tube amp for the 600 ohm beyers. The HD600/650s would go with either one. Sorry, but the Total Bithead is not ideal for any of the K70x/HD650/DT880.

A reasonable SS amp would be the best way forward if you really want to keep the K70x in your collection.

May 31, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #18 of 28

Quote:
I would strongly recommend a good tube amp for the 600 ohm beyers. The HD600/650s would go with either one. Sorry, but the Total Bithead is not ideal for any of the K70x/HD650/DT880.

A reasonable SS amp would be the best way forward if you really want to keep the K70x in your collection.

So any recommendation on something versatile for that lineup of cans? At this point in my audiophilia, I have to settle for something not too expensive and somewhat versatile, even if it wont do anything "the best." I'm still exploring audio and finding what sounds I like, so I'm not yet ready to spend big bucks on something that will work amazing with one type of can. I'm going to get the K702s this week, try em out with my Go Vibe 5, and if I'm liking them a decent bit, I guess I'd go for a $100-200 amp suited for it. Didn't you just say the Bithead would be good for the K70x? Then you said it's not ideal, but did you just mean for that full lineup of phones?

May 31, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #19 of 28
In this price range, a used Headroom Micro Amp might be had for around just north of $200 and could power the K701/HD650/DT880 reasonably well.

Jun 1, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 28
So I ended up buying a Cute Beyond today, at a local music store. I had gone in to try out some phones, and ended up walking out with just the amp. I'm looking for a bit of validation on it, so would you say it's a pretty versatile amp, that would pair with whatever phones I've been debating between? I tried a couple pairs they had, including the AKG 701s and 240 MK II. Also, Grado 325is. I liked the Grados a lot, but I don't think they sounded different or better enough than my SR60s to justify them as my main headphone. The 701s were kind of a letdown...even with the amp. I was using the direct line from my MBP though, as I haven't received my uDAC yet. I kind of liked the 240 MK II...would I like the 270s then? They also had a bunch of Audio Technicas, and lots of other AKGs, Grados, Ultrasones...No Senns though, and at this point it seems like maybe I am actually looking for the 600/650?

More input is appreciated!

Thanks.

And, impulsively just ordered Denon 2000s, to arrive Thursday with the 702s. Guess I'll have myself a little face-off.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #21 of 28
Sitting here with the 702s and the D2000s. For the day where I only had the D2000s, I've loved them. Now I'm hearing the 702s, and damn, I want to keep both! Ugh, this is not going to be an easy decision. Both are very comfortable, with the weight on the 702s being lighter and better, as well as less warmth from the earpads compared to the D2000s. I think the decision is going to come down to whether I can sacrifice the "fun" of the D2000s, as well as their bass.

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #22 of 28

Quote:
Sitting here with the 702s and the D2000s. For the day where I only had the D2000s, I've loved them. Now I'm hearing the 702s, and damn, I want to keep both! Ugh, this is not going to be an easy decision. Both are very comfortable, with the weight on the 702s being lighter and better, as well as less warmth from the earpads compared to the D2000s. I think the decision is going to come down to whether I can sacrifice the "fun" of the D2000s, as well as their bass.

???

What's the problem, keep both and enjoy
very_evil_smiley.gif
! They are both complementary cans!

Jun 3, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #23 of 28
It's great to finally have these side by side, and get to hear what everyone always argues about! 
smile_phones.gif

I really can't afford to keep both right now...Depending on the music I'm enjoying one or the other, and while I can totally hear how much more analytic and clear the AKGs can be, I just keep wanting to be enveloped in the warm embrace of the Denons.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #24 of 28
you'll get bored of the D2000 after a while but will learn to appreciate the K702 even more te longer you keep it. My suggestion is to keep the K702 then save money til you can get a pair of D2000 or HD650 to complement it later.

Jun 3, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #25 of 28
Might as well ask here: are there any recordings that are used to A/B headphones very commonly? Obviously I'm using the music I love most, trying to choose from different genres, production styles, etc. but if there are any good recordings used to compare phones, let me know.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #26 of 28

Quote:
you'll get bored of the D2000 after a while but will learn to appreciate the K702 even more te longer you keep it. My suggestion is to keep the K702 then save money til you can get a pair of D2000 or HD650 to complement it later.

I'm actually feeling the opposite, in that I'll keep the D2000s now, and pick up the 702s again when I have more cash and can do an amp upgrade alongside them. Part of this decision is that I'm having a bit of the same problem with the 702s as I had with the 580s where due to the way the earcups are thinly lined, the way they press on the points around my ears give me a headache. The Denons have a much wider distribution around the earcups, and seem much more comofrtable to my head, at least. I think for the listening I'm doing, I also kind of want the fun, warm sound. It's actually a case where I went in intending to like and keep the 702s, because I appreciate accuracy and detail, but ultimately I'm coming down to sheer enjoyment. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #27 of 28

Quote:
It's great to finally have these side by side, and get to hear what everyone always argues about! 
smile_phones.gif

I really can't afford to keep both right now...Depending on the music I'm enjoying one or the other, and while I can totally hear how much more analytic and clear the AKGs can be, I just keep wanting to be enveloped in the warm embrace of the Denons.

I'd take the "warm embrace"!  : )

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #28 of 28
Regarding the K702, my experience is opposite Macedonianhero's.  My K701's came alive with my WA6SE, and took another step up when I found the right tube combination to work with the K701's strengths (and weaknesses).  I found SS amps to be too direct, and the K702 is prone to fatiguing sound, which IMHO was softened by the warmth and sweetness of a tube amp.

If you are considering the K702, then I think a better competitor would be the DT990/600.  My experience with the DT990 gives me almost all of the 701 sparkle and airy soundstage, with the added benefit of lush warm bass to counter the sparkling highs.  The bass is what the K701 lacks, it is there, but not is the amount necessary to balance the sound and prevents the K702 from being an "all-rounder".  It is IMHO a genre specific phone, jazz, classical and acoustic only.  Rock sounded painful.  The DT990/600 does everything well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back